Which player is the all-time leader in empty net goals?

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
The two things I was certain of before checking the stats was the following:

Gretzky 1st and that Ovechkin would be top 10 :)

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
OT didn't exist for the first 4 years of his career. He also had 4 OT goals in the playoffs.
Not only that, but Gretzky never played a regular season OT where it was four-on-four (let alone three-on-three), or played when there were three-point games. Four-on-four was introduced for the '99-'00 season; Gretzky retired at the end of the '98-'99 season.

myzteriouz

Dec 4, 2011
Luke Glendening 33 goals scored, 8 of which are ENG, basically every 4th goal he scores is an ENG, that's the highest ENG to goals ratio I could find..I'm sure there's probably someone who's scored 1 of his 2-3 goals ENG way down on the list but haven't gone through all the pages :P

Timander also got 3 ENG of his total of 13, at 23%

edit: went a bit further, and of 2 ENG or more Randy Bucyk got the highest ratio, with 2 ENG and 4 goals total...also see Duncan Siemens have scores his so far one and only goal as an ENG so he's got a 100% ratio

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Some rare statistics in that graphic. What blew my mind a little is that despite playing in almost 1,500 NHL games, Gretzky only had 5 penalty shot attempts in his career. Brad Isbister and Ziggy Palffy had that many.

Ziggy Palffy was a great player. Very dynamic. Brad Isbister on the other hand... :laugh: He was a failed power forward prospect who got chance after chance because of his size and potential package of tools.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We need Habs fans in this thread to make Pacioretty jokes.

Yeah, I don't get it. Are they trying to say he's selfish? Are they trying to say that it's too easy to score so they don't count? I see too many missed attempts to think it's easy.

I'd rather have guys able to close games out with empty netters rather than biting my nails until the final buzzer.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I didn't check but it seems like Marleau has had several this year? Must go check....

EDIT - Huh, there you go....second overall with 5. Who says us old guys can't remember things now and then?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Gretzky only scored 2 OT goals in his career... That's seems weird.

If Gretzky played in the NHL where the OT loser still earned a point, or where OT was 4 on 4 or 3 on 3... believe me he probably would have 50+ more goals. There is a reason the NHL had to change the rule for offsetting penalties to be 5 on 5 instead of 4 on 4 (now changed back to 4 on 4). If the old Oilers could have played 3 on 3 OT ... :laugh:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I can off-hand recall Gretzky's 2 (regular season) overtime goals. One was against New Jersey in the 1985-86 season... another was, of course, the 1852 points' game vs. Edmonton when he broke Howe's record in 1989.

Anyway, that made me curious about Gretzky's overtime assists and points.

(Checks) :

Oct. 9th 1983: primary assist on Kurri's OT winner vs. Minnesota (this was the Oilers' first-ever R.S. overtime game)
Mar.13th 1984: secondary assist on Coffey OT winner vs. Quebec

Nov. 17th 1985: primary assist on Napier's OT winner vs. NYR
Jan. 24th 1986: goal in OT vs. New Jersey
Mar. 21st 1986: primary assist on Kurri OT winner vs. Minnesota

Oct.11th 1986: primary assist on Kurri's OT winner vs. Montreal
Feb.4th 1987: secondary assist on Gregg's OT winner vs. Minnesota

Jan. 10th 1989: primary assist on Krushelnyski's OT winner vs. Edmonton
Mar. 7th 1989: secondary assist on Taylor's OT winner vs. Pittsburgh

Oct. 15th 1989: goal in OT vs. Edmonton

Jan.8th 1991: secondary assist on Benning's OT winner vs. Hartford
Mar. 24th 1991: primary assist on Sandstrom's OT winner vs. Edmonton

I'm too lazy to do this further than the 1990-91 season, but anyway that covers Gretzky's prime years. (Someone else complete this if you're so inclined.)

If you're keeping track: Gretzky, from 1983 to 1991, put up 2 goals and 10 assists (12 points) in regular season overtime. That's 12 overtime goals he factored in, out of 30 his team scored, or 40%. That is a little less than his average of points/team-goals, which is somewhat surprising, but I suppose you have to bear in mind that a lot of these games, when he was with Edmonton, were quite meaningless in the standings.

(Weird stat I noticed: In 1984-85, the Oilers failed to win a single overtime game in 12 attempts!)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, I don't get it. Are they trying to say he's selfish? Are they trying to say that it's too easy to score so they don't count? I see too many missed attempts to think it's easy.

I'd rather have guys able to close games out with empty netters rather than biting my nails until the final buzzer.

The whole point is that Pacioretty scores a huge percentage of his goals on empty nets.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The whole point is that Pacioretty scores a huge percentage of his goals on empty nets.

I think there is usually a negative or sarcastic tone in posts referring to his empty net goals.

Anyways, I'm interested to see exactly how "huge" his percentage of goals are empty netters. Is it that outlandish comapred to other goal scorers either past or present in this league?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think there is usually a negative or sarcastic tone in posts referring to his empty net goals.

Anyways, I'm interested to see exactly how "huge" his percentage of goals are empty netters. Is it that outlandish comapred to other goal scorers either past or present in this league?

I don't have the numbers in mind but it's true that when the Habs score an empty net goal, it's usually Pacioretty. I think he had 5 or 6 empty net goals when he had his 39 goal season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad