Which player could pull a Boyd Deveraux and mess up the Leafs draft position?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The chances of a top 3 pick drop drastically between finishing 30th and finishing 29th. We have over a 60 percent chance to pick top 3 if we finish last, something like a 40 percent chance should we finish 29th.

I'm pretty sure it's only a little over 50% for last place actually

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
Misleading title as the luck of the lottery will have more barring then any one player will have. Finishing last still only gives us a 20% chance at Matthews. People need to stop thinking about this stupid tanking suggestion. Would have mattered more before this year

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Had to vote PAP.

Had to laugh when someone mentioned Grabner. He's not doing dick for the foreseeable future! Waste of a roster spot, and the cap space IMHO. Pretty useless overpaid dude.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Does not really matter, finishing last does not guarantee a lottery pick and they still have a chance if they finish 2nd last

So what's the point?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
6.5% is enough for me to think last place still matters. It may seem small in a vacume, but 20% vs 13.5% is a sizable decrease.

You really need to get lucky - last or 2nd last finish does not make a lot of difference

Remember McDavid, quiet possible Matthews might end up in Edmonton

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Does not really matter, finishing last does not guarantee a lottery pick and they still have a chance if they finish 2nd last

So what's the point?
If possible I like the Leafs to get the best odds possible at the 1st overall pick even if it might be 20%. When Boyd Deveraux cost Toronto Brayden Schenn and the 5th pick in 2009, he also cost them a chance at the 1st pick and John Tavares. People seem to forget at that time only the teams who finished between 30th - 26th in the standings could win the lottery and the 1st overall pick.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
You really need to get lucky - last or 2nd last finish does not make a lot of difference

It makes a difference but IMO people look at the lottery in a way too simplistic matter. Yes we only have a 20% chance to win 1st overall if we finish last but honestly the teams outside the top 5 individually don't have much of a chance of winning. If Daley counts down to the bottom 5 teams and none of the other 11 teams have won the lottery, that 20% chance shifts to something like 30-35% versus the other 4.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Edmonton was extremely lucky though. Going into the last lottery ball drawing Toronto happened to have the highest odds of getting the 1st pick and Edmonton had the least amount of odds. If it was not for their #1 ball knocking the Leafs #2 ball away at the last possible second, Connor McDavid would be a Toronto Maple Leaf today.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Misleading title as the luck of the lottery will have more barring then any one player will have. Finishing last still only gives us a 20% chance at Matthews. People need to stop thinking about this stupid tanking suggestion. Would have mattered more before this year
I don't see it as a misleading title. The Leafs players control the teams destiny how they play each night and if they lose it helps their draft odds when it comes to the standings. Remember last year when the Buffalo Sabres wanted to win so they would not finish 30th overall because of how their fans cheered when they lost at home. On the night of the draft lottery it's out of their hands.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
"Mess up Leafs drafting"? That made us pick Kadri instead of B Schenn. That hattrick saved the Leafs draft.

Boyd Devereaux was a good player. Drafted way too early. But fast and good defensively. And we should be very thankful that he forced Burke into picking Kadri.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
"Mess up Leafs drafting"? That made us pick Kadri instead of B Schenn. That hattrick saved the Leafs draft.

Boyd Devereaux was a good player. Drafted way too early. But fast and good defensively. And we should be very thankful that he forced Burke into picking Kadri.
In hindsight that maybe true. However at the time I remember a lot of Leafs fans were upset because they lost out on Brayden Schenn and a chance at the 1st pick to select John Tavares. At that time the Leafs could have only moved up 4 spots in the draft lottery which would have been from 7th overall to 3rd overall.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Edmonton was extremely lucky though. Going into the last lottery ball drawing Toronto happened to have the highest odds of getting the 1st pick and Edmonton had the least amount of odds. If it was not for their #1 ball knocking the Leafs #2 ball away at the last possible second, Connor McDavid would be a Toronto Maple Leaf today.

Exactly - that's what I am saying, it's like any other lottery ticket

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
It's gonna be the guy that hasn't done much offensively all year and defensively been steady and silent. So that leaves you with Boyes and Grabner. Both have had disappointing seasons in terms of offensive production but have been regular steady fixtures on the ice. My money is on the first name that came to mind...Michael Grabner.

finnbalor*

Awesome thread.

But think how bad it would have felt had Burke passed on OEL for B.Schenn at 5

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012

If we had competent management im sure OEL would've been picked over scheen (we didn't). That's why I'm afraid of Alex Nylander. I really hope being brothers with William has nothing to do with the pick, and we go bpa

Krylian

Jul 25, 2007
If we had competent management im sure OEL would've been picked over scheen (we didn't). That's why I'm afraid of Alex Nylander. I really hope being brothers with William has nothing to do with the pick, and we go bpa

If Alex Nylander is selected with the Leafs first pick (assuming it's Top 4) then something has gone terribly wrong.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Boyd Devereux got us Nazem Kadri instead of Brayden Schenn so Id say that worked out

Thank you! It boggles the mind people still fixate on this years later even though it worked just fine for us. Just another example of draft well wherever you draft.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Awesome thread.

But think how bad it would have felt had Burke passed on OEL for B.Schenn at 5

that would have happened 100% lol

i do not miss the burke nonis regime. such a breath of fresh air to have competent management for the first time in god knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad