Which option would you choose?

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Over the years, I've been a proponent of breaking up the top line and spreading the talent around. I mean, we've seen MacKinnon put up over a point-per-game playing with Matt Calvert and Joonas Donskoi for a good stretch of over 10 games. I've never understood Bednar's penchant for never having a plan B besides those 3 guys together and when he does break them up - it's so short lived that it doesn't seem to make a difference - and then he puts them back together. You gotta have a plan B that you know can work.

But I think that all starts with finding a better #2C than Kadri. Sakic is going to have to upgrade the position because Kadri can't be trusted to stay in the lineup when it matters most. Until he solves that issue, it's pretty much all a moot point.
It doesn't matter if Kadri can and can't be trusted. He's simply not good enough to drive his own line. That is why our second line has been doomed. We don't have a single player on a line outside of the top one that can do anything on their own. You simply can not put all your eggs in one basket come playoff time. The fact that we could do it during the regular season doesn't mean shit. It's a completely different game come playoffs and the Avs are trying to treat the playoffs like a regular season. It won't work.

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think Suter costs $3.5m per, he's already getting paid off nicely so I think the money is the least of his concerns. I'm not sure Jones can be attained with the assets the Avs are willing to part with considering at least half the league should be checking in on him. And I agree that if the Landy AAV was under $7m the deal probably would have been made. Sounds like Landy and his agents are thinking why accept that big of a hometown discount if we think someone has 9m+ to offer? If it indeed materializes then he's not coming back. I'm sure he'd love to stay and give some discount, but if drunken sailors want to give him 30%+ more and he gets to play an even bigger role elsewhere I can't blame him for leaving.

I think the likely result is we get Suter, sign Saad to be on the new first line at something a little under the AAV he brought with him, and then sign a couple of 3rd liners with the savings. May not be sexy or make the team noticeably better, but if pure talent was all that mattered they would have won the Cup last year.

Suter isn't taking a discount.

Avs? Blues? Bruins? Ryan Suter has options in free agency, while Zach Parise looks for familiarity

A quote from the article (Sheehy is Suter and Parise's agent):
Parise, who like Suter earned $88 million of his $98 million contract with the Wild and will still receive $6.7 million from Minnesota spread over the next eight years, isn’t looking to break the bank either. He would consider agreeing to a bonus-laden one-year deal, something permissible for players 35 and older.

Sheehy made crystal clear, “Ryan won’t be doing that.”

Reactions: Foppa2118

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Option #1 - stay the course and add [costs no assets]

Avs re-sign Landeskog to an 8 year X $6.75M contract

Avs sign Ryan Suter to a 2 year X $3.5M contract in free agency

OR

Option #2 - mix-it up and improve the back-end [costs significant assets]

Avs do not re-sign Landeskog but trade for Seth Jones and then extend him to an 8 year X $8M contract

Avs sign Blake Coleman to a 5 year X $5M contract

Is there an Option #3, where they get a center?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Not saying you are wrong but it could just mean that he prefers a fix $ amount for his next contract instead of bonuses. I haven't read the article though.

He's clearly referring to the kind of deal some veterans sign with a very low base salary then bonuses based on performance. The kind of deal that's really easy to fit into the salary cap and low risk for the team. Suter's agent is making it clear that he's not looking to take discounts - he expects to be paid what he's worth, and he probably values himself as a top pair defenseman.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He's clearly referring to the kind of deal some veterans sign with a very low base salary then bonuses based on performance. The kind of deal that's really easy to fit into the salary cap and low risk for the team. Suter's agent is making it clear that he's not looking to take discounts - he expects to be paid what he's worth, and he probably values himself as a top pair defenseman.
Well if that is the case he sure ain't coming here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Suter isn't taking a discount.

Avs? Blues? Bruins? Ryan Suter has options in free agency, while Zach Parise looks for familiarity

A quote from the article (Sheehy is Suter and Parise's agent):

I would be pretty surprised if the Avs don't pursue Parise after they lost Donskoi and likely Saad. Especially if he'll come on a cheap deal.

He may or may not make up for their offense at this stage in his career, but he's still a hard worker that fits Bednar's style well, and provides some veteran leadership they'll need after losing those two.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I would be pretty surprised if the Avs don't pursue Parise after they lost Donskoi and likely Saad. Especially if he'll come on a cheap deal.

He may or may not make up for their offense at this stage in his career, but he's still a hard worker that fits Bednar's style well, and provides some veteran leadership they'll need after losing those two.

If he's a 4th liner at this point, I don't see a fit. We have guys who can play on the 4th line. Where we look to be lacking is middle six forwards.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I'm Seth Jones got traded so his underperforming ass won't be on the ice in an Avs sweater. And I don't have to listen to you all whine about him for 8 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad