• Poll closed .

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Option #1 - stay the course and add [costs no assets]

Avs re-sign Landeskog to an 8 year X $6.75M contract

Avs sign Ryan Suter to a 2 year X $3.5M contract in free agency

OR

Option #2 - mix-it up and improve the back-end [costs significant assets]

Avs do not re-sign Landeskog but trade for Seth Jones and then extend him to an 8 year X $8M contract

Avs sign Blake Coleman to a 5 year X $5M contract

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Blake Coleman @5 makes this an easy decision for me. Landy, Suter and retained assets please. That said if we got Jones on a good deal and a better forward than Coleman I'd probably lean that way.

Bront

Jun 5, 2021
Lose Landy, sign Seth Jones, resign Saad, trade Girard plus an asset or future pick for a 1st/2nd center…BENEFIT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Landy + Suter… love Coleman but he’s just an elite 3rd line wing. Avs have their 1D. Suter still a top 4 guy.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
At those prices, Landy 100%. Problem is, it sounds like it'll take a lot more than $6.75M.

Also, Jones would be nice but RD isn't a position of need for the organization:

Makar
Johnson
Timmins
Barron
Helleson

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Landy+Suter but I think they can still pursue Jones if they re-sign Landy.

They'll just have to get a little creative.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Coleman at 5x5? Just sign Landy ffs he’d only cost like 2mil more and is a way better player.

That's likely what Blake Coleman is going to cost. He's paced at around 45 points per year pro-rated the past 2 seasons. He wouldn't be "replacing" Landeskog on the top line but it's more that he's going to roll off in 5 years at age 34. He could probably play in the Top-6 though and this wouldn't preclude the Avs from making another deal to bring-in another winger for the Top-6. (Forsberg) I don't think the Avs re-sign Burakovsky after this upcoming season.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The difference between Coleman and Landy is greater than Jones and Suter… and I love Jones more than most.

Absolutely you're correct on that but you'd also be getting Seth Jones for 9 years under that scenario and Suter for only 2.

I think my preference is ALSO the 1st option but I could see the Avs interested in something like that should they not be able to re-up their captain.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm a big fan of Jones myself, but it's interesting how different people's opinions of him are.

Feels like the more negative opinions are largely driven by his analytics while playing for a bad Columbus team.

I think he'll end up being viewed as a perennial Norris contender though if he gets traded to the right team.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
**** if I know and I want to add Jones/Merzlikins.

Just depends which way Sakic wants to go.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Easily option 1. If Gabriel Landeskog was willing to sign a contract for 6.75M per season I have a feeling it'd be done by now, term be damned.

I also don't know if I'd be willing to pay Seth Jones 8M per season. Let alone paying 5M per season for Blake Coleman. Maybe if he could play 3C but he can't.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't really like either option. I want us to resign Landy, but I don't want Suter - we need a right handed guy, not another player who is going to block Byram or force Girard to play on the right. And Jones isn't the answer - I don't see how we can afford him or fit him into the lineup unless Girard or Toews is going back the other way, and then I'm not sure if we're any better than we were.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Option 1

However, Landeskog would never accept such a "low" offer as he want to get paid big time

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Option 3:
Sign Landy, Trade for Crosby retained, sign Suter for cheap (and he will come if he really wants at least 2 runs for the cup).

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :spud::spud:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
To be honest, I don't think either of those options put us over the top.

My personal belief is the only way the Avs win the cup is if the first line is broken up. With, or without, Landeskog there is simply too much of our cap on one single line and it makes it damn near impossible to build out an effective team. You have to spread that cap hit amongst at least two lines. If we don't have a seriously improved and much more consistent second line by the time the playoffs roll around we'll be f***ed and done in two rounds again.

Granted, I could and have been way off before, but I just have this gut feeling that this big-line thing has been taken too far and stripped us from basically having any consistent offensive pressure from the 2nd-4th lines.

Am I completely off or does anyone else think this is a pretty big issue?

Reactions: shadow1

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
To be honest, I don't think either of those options put us over the top.

My personal belief is the only way the Avs win the cup is if the first line is broken up. With, or without, Landeskog there is simply too much of our cap on one single line and it makes it damn near impossible to build out an effective team. You have to spread that cap hit amongst at least two lines. If we don't have a seriously improved and much more consistent second line by the time the playoffs roll around we'll be f***ed and done in two rounds again.

Granted, I could and have been way off before, but I just have this gut feeling that this big-line thing has been taken too far and stripped us from basically having any consistent offensive pressure from the 2nd-4th lines.

Am I completely off or does anyone else think this is a pretty big issue?

Over the years, I've been a proponent of breaking up the top line and spreading the talent around. I mean, we've seen MacKinnon put up over a point-per-game playing with Matt Calvert and Joonas Donskoi for a good stretch of over 10 games. I've never understood Bednar's penchant for never having a plan B besides those 3 guys together and when he does break them up - it's so short lived that it doesn't seem to make a difference - and then he puts them back together. You gotta have a plan B that you know can work.

But I think that all starts with finding a better #2C than Kadri. Sakic is going to have to upgrade the position because Kadri can't be trusted to stay in the lineup when it matters most. Until he solves that issue, it's pretty much all a moot point.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't think Suter costs $3.5m per, he's already getting paid off nicely so I think the money is the least of his concerns. I'm not sure Jones can be attained with the assets the Avs are willing to part with considering at least half the league should be checking in on him. And I agree that if the Landy AAV was under $7m the deal probably would have been made. Sounds like Landy and his agents are thinking why accept that big of a hometown discount if we think someone has 9m+ to offer? If it indeed materializes then he's not coming back. I'm sure he'd love to stay and give some discount, but if drunken sailors want to give him 30%+ more and he gets to play an even bigger role elsewhere I can't blame him for leaving.

I think the likely result is we get Suter, sign Saad to be on the new first line at something a little under the AAV he brought with him, and then sign a couple of 3rd liners with the savings. May not be sexy or make the team noticeably better, but if pure talent was all that mattered they would have won the Cup last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00