Which one of these three trades would you reverse if you could?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Good topic but I expect some arguments about it.

#1 Smid: I picked this one because I think Smid is an NHL defenseman with a respectable cap hit. Would rather of seen him bounce back with the Oilers than with the Flames. Return so far has been zero in that trade.

#2 Gilbert: How this guy still has blind supporters is beyond me. I watched the majority of 4-6 Florida games last year and it's the same ol Tom Gilbert. Weak in the corners. Crumbles under any kind pressure. Give away machine. Basically a train wreck defensively but a decent puck mover. Was Nic Shultz any better? Not really. Kinda a wash. Better defensively (to which he got no respect) but worse offensively. I think the trade was a good one at the time and turned out to not matter either which way.

#3 Cogliano trade is a tough one. Sure in hindsight we would be better off with him than without but he wasn't tracking well at the time. I am not a Gagner supporter anymore but at the time Gagner was clearly the superior of the two and we only had room for one of those players at the time. Cogliano got some great coaching. Got moved down the line-up and sheltered more to begin with. Turned out to be a solid 3rd line winger. Don't know if I would prefer him over Arco or Purcell or Pouliot at this point yet. Glad he is doing well but don't know if he is a player we still need to improve this roster.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Ladi trade is too soon to tell imo, Horak only signed a 1 year deal iirc, I see him coming back next year and LB is no bust yet.

Personally i think Horak is a good overaged prospect. He got the blessings from the Oilers to go overseas and according to his agent he will get high qualities minutes which i dont think hed have gotten in OKC.
Better for his development as a centre. The oilers had no complaints.
The goal of Horak is not to stay overseas, its to get the time and opportunity to continue learning and progress. Arco and vv and a bunch of other players were going to be grabbing into horaks ice time. As an oiler fan i am quite happy horak had a team offer him a good chance at being a key centre.

Nick shultz versus gilbert? Gilbert had a right shot. Should have kept him unless getting a rh back or an rh was pushing for ice time. There was no reason to move the right shot. Thanks tambo. I never minded nick schultz but it made no sense when lhd isnt a hard positional target to acquire.

From Tambos track record i wouldnt be surprised if Tambo distinguishes different dmen (in any possible way). I just see him thinking all dmen are interchangable.

Last edited:

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
None of the above. I have no use for any of those players. Cogliano probably wouldn't have gotten to where he is had he stayed here, Gilbert isn't an answer to anything and Smid IMO is a downgrade on a number of the guys that we have now.

Summed my thoughts up pretty good.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
For the most part, i agree. Smid was useless. He just had qualities that people in this market like. He was a Buchberger on the blueline.

Cogs is decent now, but, he is no big lose.

Gilbert is about the only one of three that would be useful now. His presence would help in the J. Schultz negotiations, if nothing else.

Thanks for agreeing on the most part, but I really think that Gilbert gave us the biggest problems out of these 3 players.

Smid was a great soldier. Blocked shots, dropped the gloves now and then when we didn't have much team toughness and tried to play every bit as physical as he ever could.

Cogliano sucked on face-offs but he worked his but off and did everything within his abilities...

But Gilbert... he honestly made me puke. He had great size, but he never used it. Loses battles in the corners, on the sideboards and certainly in front of the net and heaven forbid he ever threw a body check. He was also downright nasty with the puck in his zone.

If Cogloano had Gilbert's body, he'd probably be a 2nd line forward.
If Smid had Gilbert's athleticism, he'd be making at least 5M a year.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Summed my thoughts up pretty good.

Mine too.

I feel like Oiler fans are really hypocritical given that we have been complaining about our lack of size, yet we still want Cogliano?

I would take Pouliot and Purcell over Cogliano in a heartbeat. We don't need anymore small wingers. Sure, Cogliano might be the better player but we have absolutely no need for him.

I didn't like the Smid deal at the time but we don't have room for him on the left side. With Nurse, Klefbom and Marincin all LHD, we already have our future blueline. This doesn't even include our captain in Ference and the likely possibility that Nikitin will both probably play the left side. I'm also a big fan of LB so I'll be ok.

As far as Gilbert goes, he just got a pretty nice contract and Fayne looks like he will be the better player. I don't see a need or place for him with Petry proving he is already better.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Cogliano trade. We could use him as a center right now for sure, and long term he would be a solid bottom six LWer and PKer.

Smid was done here. We have too many LHD prospects. We got Broissoit plus 3.5 million in cap space.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Mine too.

I feel like Oiler fans are really hypocritical given that we have been complaining about our lack of size, yet we still want Cogliano?

I would take Pouliot and Purcell over Cogliano in a heartbeat. We don't need anymore small wingers. Sure, Cogliano might be the better player but we have absolutely no need for him.

I didn't like the Smid deal at the time but we don't have room for him on the left side. With Nurse, Klefbom and Marincin all LHD, we already have our future blueline. This doesn't even include our captain in Ference and the likely possibility that Nikitin will both probably play the left side. I'm also a big fan of LB so I'll be ok.

As far as Gilbert goes, he just got a pretty nice contract and Fayne looks like he will be the better player. I don't see a need or place for him with Petry proving he is already better.

It's funny how people have cried about our team begin too small over the past decade and they're complaining about us getting a 2nd rounder for a midget that did very little for us.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's funny how people have cried about our team begin too small over the past decade and they're complaining about us getting a 2nd rounder for a midget that did very little for us.

Not all of the fanbase has cried over this issue though. Sure it's important, but it's not the only concern. I never thought Cogliano's size was a problem for the Oilers. I didn't mind getting a 2nd rounder for him either, but with how he's developed in Anaheim they've definitely got good value out of that deal.

Imo it's the top six that has the issue with size and intensity. Cogliano brings speed and intensity to the bottom six in Anaheim. With his numbers on the Oilers, maybe we would not have targeted Pouliot. Maybe instead of Pouliot we get a cheaper, more physical winger. Add Purcell and Hendricks to that and not only is there balance, but there are a lot of options as well.

Eirhead*

I do all 3 of these trades 10 times over.

Smid - He was slow, a bad puck mover and he made contact but didn't hit hard enough. We're a better team without him. He's a left handed d-man and we've got those up the yingyang in our system, as well.

Gilbert - Never used his size, never cleared the net and made sooooo many mistakes with the puck. Nick Schulz was a lot more reliable.

Cogliano - He was totally useless on our team. When we played him on the wing he'd get caught out of position. Always trying to do too much. When we played him at center he always lost face-offs, wasn't effective in the corners and has absolutely no offence whatsoever.

Agree, I don't particularly hate any of these trades. Smid was a prototypical "defensive defenceman" and all he knew to do was to dump the puck down the ice, giving it back to the other team to do it all again. Sure he was a hard worker, but that doesn't make up for his junior level passing ability.

If anything, I might take Cogliano back. He reminded me of a Todd Marchant. Wheels that failed the majority of the time, but the opposition had to respect his inconsistent capabilities.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Agree, I don't particularly hate any of these trades. Smid was a prototypical "defensive defenceman" and all he knew to do was to dump the puck down the ice, giving it back to the other team to do it all again. Sure he was a hard worker, but that doesn't make up for his junior level passing ability.

If anything, I might take Cogliano back. He reminded me of a Todd Marchant. Wheels that failed the majority of the time, but the opposition had to respect his inconsistent capabilities.

I agree with ya there.

Marchant seemed a lot grittier than Cogliano, though. And he played better positionally. Cogliano appeared to play well positionally with Edmonton just because he was so damn fast that it was hard to catch him out of position but when you watched him play on the wing there was often an open gap when he wandered to center.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
1. Gilbert trade
We had a massive weakness with our defenders being able to transition the puck to our forwards. J. Schultz and Petry were basically the only 2.
2. Cogliano trade. We had a massive black hole of offense after the top 4 forwards. Surely Cogliano would have been better than what we had.

I don't think I would have reversed the Smid trade. Not really sure how much better he is than any of our current top-6.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Cogliano had very good character, rare skating ability, incredible durability wonder of wonders, he gets moved to wing in anaheim and has a few great years. That was a terrible trade but the oilers are absolute experts at getting very low value for players.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Cogs just didn't work out here by the time he was traded. I strongly believe that there's no way he would have turned out the way he is playing currently had he stayed here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Cogs just didn't work out here by the time he was traded. I strongly believe that there's no way he would have turned out the way he is playing currently had he stayed here.

He didn't even really work in ANA. There was an interview how his first year he didn't really want to be wing and thought he was a center, but Boudreau kept giving him the same message that he got in Edmonton and he finally decided to give it a go.

Another Dan Cleary or Kyle Brodziak like situation. Took until these guys went to a better team and had yet another group of coaches telling them what to do for them to start getting it going to their full potential.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

I voted the Cogliano trade but also agree with you completely.

It just seems other teams find spots for players. While we try and mould players into spots.

Cogliano you are fast and small and must play on the first two lines to be effective!

All 3rd, 4th liners must be 6ft and fight to be effective!

I'm glad Cogliano has found his place in the NHL though. Sucks to watch a player go succeed on another team.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
If Cogliano stayed in Edmonton, there was no way he was going to succeed in this environment. In Anahiem, he got the change of scenery and excelled. Some players just need a change of scenery to get their career back on track.

Look at Perron this year in his first year as an Oiler.

I expect Gagner to revive his career in Arizona.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The question is why do we keep hearing these stories about a number of quality players that seem to leave the oilers. Oh, they would never have been good here thus it was okay to send them elsewhere where they are being very good and productive.

Cogliano had enough good qualities that they should have found a way to get the best out of him, like anaheim did.

One of the best skaters in the league.
Never missed a game in his career.
Scored clutch goals.
Durable character guy.
In each of his first two years he scored 18 goals.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
While Cogliano would be nice to have now, I sincerely doubt he would be that player that he is now if he had stayed with us. In fact I'm not sure if he'd even be in the NHL

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
all three

While Cogliano would be nice to have now, I sincerely doubt he would be that player that he is now if he had stayed with us. In fact I'm not sure if he'd even be in the NHL

this is sadly true

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The question is why do we keep hearing these stories about a number of quality players that seem to leave the oilers. Oh, they would never have been good here thus it was okay to send them elsewhere where they are being very good and productive.

Cogliano had enough good qualities that they should have found a way to get the best out of him, like anaheim did.

One of the best skaters in the league.
Never missed a game in his career.
Scored clutch goals.
Durable character guy.
In each of his first two years he scored 18 goals.

It happens all the time with every team it's just the way she goes. A lot of times it's more about getting that kick in the ass and realizing you aren't king ****.

Just looking at the first page of NHL's stats you have Sharp, St.Louis, Wheeler, Kessel and Seguin. Look at how good they've done since leaving their previous clubs. I look at Boyle couldn't do nothing in LA, did well in New York. How many teams did it take Wisneiwski to pan out? Ruutu took that next step in CAR that he didn't have in CHI. Doesn't just happen to us or the **** teams.

Actually Ruutu and his counterpart Laad really found their game after being dealt.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
If Cogliano stayed in Edmonton, there was no way he was going to succeed in this environment. In Anahiem, he got the change of scenery and excelled. Some players just need a change of scenery to get their career back on track.

Look at Perron this year in his first year as an Oiler.

I expect Gagner to revive his career in Arizona.

As said by another poster; sometimes players cant understand why the coach wants them to play the way he does. Or, like cleary, sometimes its the fans. MacTavish said a few times that Cleary, who was a big goal scorer in junior and a high dp, was never going to be that guy in the nhl. MacTavish plainly said in an interview that not only Dan but also the fans had to join that reality. Alot of fans expected him to be the first round sniper and got mad at the depth position the coaches put him in.

Eventually you have to trade the guy because he just isnt buying in and progressing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As said by another poster; sometimes players cant understand why the coach wants them to play the way he does. Or, like cleary, sometimes its the fans. MacTavish said a few times that Cleary, who was a big goal scorer in junior and a high dp, was never going to be that guy in the nhl. MacTavish plainly said in an interview that not only Dan but also the fans had to join that reality. Alot of fans expected him to be the first round sniper and got mad at the depth position the coaches put him in.

Eventually you have to trade the guy because he just isnt buying in and progressing.

Cleary was lazy that's why he didn't do much here or PHX. He's talked about how he liked to drink and go out and it wasn't until things clicked while in Detroit that he needed to pull his head out of his ass.

The guy clearly showed he had offense ability in Detroit and I wonder if he looks back wished he would've worked harder early in his career. Who knows what he could've become.

Oddly enough he's 11th in total career points from his draft year.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I'm gonna go off the board and say the Kale Kessy for Tobias Reider trade.

One of Tambo's departing crap deals. Reider has some skill and though he hasn't proved anything at the NHL level yet he may have been able to come into the league and play on Draisaitl's wing, which could have really inspired both players. Now we'll never know.

Westsidehockey*

Cogliano scored 21 goals playing as the 2/3 centre in Anaheim last year with 15mins of ice/night. Skilled, fast and plays all 3 zones and only 3 mill. Seeing as how the oil don't have any depth at centre let alone a centre who's scored 20 goals... I'd say the organization would kill to have him back

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I voted for the Cogliano deal, but only because he turned into a better player in Anaheim, and I'm not certain that he becomes that type of player if he stayed here, so I would go back on it, but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't help us long term anyway. I also don't remember what we did with the pick, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad