Which one of these three trades would you reverse if you could?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Took an idea from the Main Board.. which one of these three deals from the last 3 years would you reverse if you could?

Options incluce
- Ladislav Smid and Olivier Roy for Roman Horak and Laurent Brossoit
- Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz
- Andrew Cogliano for a 2nd

For the sake of the thread vote from these three but feel free to discuss any others.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Smid trade.

Cogliano is a 3rd line winger at this stage of his career. We didn't have room for him then, we don't have room for him now.

Gilbert was definitely better than Schultz, but both would have had their contracts ending this past season (had Gilbert not been bought out). Not sure we'd still have him anyway.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gilbert. Gilbert progressed, skid has continued to regress. Gilbert is also probaly better than Nikitin. He is a RHD PMD which we lack. Smid was replaced by Marincin, and likely by Klefbom too

Cogs turned into a good depth guy but Arco will do a similar job

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I do all 3 of these trades 10 times over.

Smid - He was slow, a bad puck mover and he made contact but didn't hit hard enough. We're a better team without him. He's a left handed d-man and we've got those up the yingyang in our system, as well.

Gilbert - Never used his size, never cleared the net and made sooooo many mistakes with the puck. Nick Schulz was a lot more reliable.

Cogliano - He was totally useless on our team. When we played him on the wing he'd get caught out of position. Always trying to do too much. When we played him at center he always lost face-offs, wasn't effective in the corners and has absolutely no offence whatsoever.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Took an idea from the Main Board.. which one of these three deals from the last 3 years would you reverse if you could?

Options incluce
- Ladislav Smid and Olivier Roy for Roman Horak and Laurent Brossoit
- Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz
- Andrew Cogliano for a 2nd

For the sake of the thread vote from these three but feel free to discuss any others.

Marc Olivier Roy could be a decent on line 3 someday... Cogliano plays a line 3 role. Laurent Brossoit could be the goalie of the future and Olivier Roy was too easily beaten over the shoulder... Smid was a legit NHL dman.... Gilbert was enigmatic offensively, n. Schultz was enigmatic defensively...

I'll go outside the box and say none of them really make a difference.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Ladi trade is too soon to tell imo, Horak only signed a 1 year deal iirc, I see him coming back next year and LB is no bust yet.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Marc Olivier Roy could be a decent on line 3 someday... Cogliano plays a line 3 role. Laurent Brossoit could be the goalie of the future and Olivier Roy was too easily beaten over the shoulder... Smid was a legit NHL dman.... Gilbert was enigmatic offensively, n. Schultz was enigmatic defensively...

I'll go outside the box and say none of them really make a difference.

Lot of "ifs" and "coulds" but fair enough.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Smid although Broissoit may change my mind in five years. We couldn't even get Lance Friggin' Bouma. Roman Horak? May as well have brought back Nilsson.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
None of the above. I have no use for any of those players. Cogliano probably wouldn't have gotten to where he is had he stayed here, Gilbert isn't an answer to anything and Smid IMO is a downgrade on a number of the guys that we have now.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
And another thing about the Smid trade. We did make it to try to sign what was believed to be the best available goalie on the market at the time. He turned out to be a horrible signing, but our goaltending was the worst in the NHL at the time.

Before last season started Mac-T stated that we needed a more mobile group of d-men and to me that spelled goodbye for Smid. As for letting Roy go, he wasn't amounting to anything special in the minors. Getting rid of Smid gave us the cap space we needed to attempt to get a goalie who could hold the fort down for the remainder of the season.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
And another thing about the Smid trade. We did make it to try to sign what was believed to be the best available goalie on the market at the time. He turned out to be a horrible signing, but our goaltending was the worst in the NHL at the time.

Before last season started Mac-T stated that we needed a more mobile group of d-men and to me that spelled goodbye for Smid. As for letting Roy go, he wasn't amounting to anything special in the minors. Getting rid of Smid gave us the cap space we needed to attempt to get a goalie who could hold the fort down for the remainder of the season.

I don't know about that. He was miles better than the goalies that we started the year with, wasn't a locker room cancer which was the worry, and we managed to flip him for something at the trade deadline. I would call that pretty decent management for Bryz on MacTavish's part

Gambl0r83*

Jarret Stoll trade
Hands down

We traded him and Matt Greene for a defenseman that got traded anyway

And then proceed to win 2 Stanley cups

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I don't think any of those trades were bad, but I think Cogliano would be the most useful of the players traded away, if he was still on the Oilers.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Probably none of them.

Smid hasn't looked good at all in Calgary (I think he'd look better on another team though, his heart just isn't in Calgary)

Gilbert and Schultz are both a wash.

Cogliano is redundant, I'd rather have the 2nd.

That being said, I picked Cogliano as depth scoring never hurts.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I do all 3 of these trades 10 times over.

Smid - He was slow, a bad puck mover and he made contact but didn't hit hard enough. We're a better team without him. He's a left handed d-man and we've got those up the yingyang in our system, as well.

Gilbert - Never used his size, never cleared the net and made sooooo many mistakes with the puck. Nick Schulz was a lot more reliable.

Cogliano - He was totally useless on our team. When we played him on the wing he'd get caught out of position. Always trying to do too much. When we played him at center he always lost face-offs, wasn't effective in the corners and has absolutely no offence whatsoever.

For the most part, i agree. Smid was useless. He just had qualities that people in this market like. He was a Buchberger on the blueline.

Cogs is decent now, but, he is no big lose.

Gilbert is about the only one of three that would be useful now. His presence would help in the J. Schultz negotiations, if nothing else.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
None of the above. I have no use for any of those players. Cogliano probably wouldn't have gotten to where he is had he stayed here, Gilbert isn't an answer to anything and Smid IMO is a downgrade on a number of the guys that we have now.

I'm with you.

As for Cogs I still don't think Cogs is all that much more better than what we saw out of him here. The only difference is ANA isn't a small crappy team. Cogs really wasn't that horrid of a player here and I can't get why so many people see him as some sort of superstar. The guy went to a new club and has gotten back to what he was able to do his first couple years in the league. Regained confidence, something that probably wouldn't have happened here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jarret Stoll trade
Hands down

We traded him and Matt Greene for a defenseman that got traded anyway

And then proceed to win 2 Stanley cups

You make that trade everyday of the week. We got a legit top pairing d-man for guys that were struggling who didn't exactly have high ceilings. They are really good role players and that's it. They should've been replaced easily, but for some reason we never replaced them.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Make all those trades, but make them all 1 season before their values completely deprecated.

Throw in Ryan Whitney 1 year before he walks as well. And then trade Gagner after his lockout season.

We have a problem of trading out non-longterm players at their lowest value.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Out of the 3, Gilbert easily for me, but I'm honestly fine with all of them.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Gilbert for Schultz...Gilbert is still playing at a fairly decent level

Schultz is only 32 and looks 42, barely hanging on in the NHL these days

Tambo's trades are still kicking us in the balls today

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't know about that. He was miles better than the goalies that we started the year with, wasn't a locker room cancer which was the worry, and we managed to flip him for something at the trade deadline. I would call that pretty decent management for Bryz on MacTavish's part

Also throw in that what we got in the trade of Bryz, got us Fasth. So I can't say it is terrible at this point. Jury's out on Fasth, but it's still a decent bet at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad