Which one of these three trades would you reverse if you could?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The question is why do we keep hearing these stories about a number of quality players that seem to leave the oilers. Oh, they would never have been good here thus it was okay to send them elsewhere where they are being very good and productive.

Cogliano had enough good qualities that they should have found a way to get the best out of him, like anaheim did.

One of the best skaters in the league.
Never missed a game in his career.
Scored clutch goals.
Durable character guy.
In each of his first two years he scored 18 goals.

Should have, but it looked like he wasn't really adjusting to his new role here. He may have eventually, but I think us trading him, and having a second coach tell him that he had to work on defense and play a depth role really changed his outlook and helped him develop.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's not in the options available, but I would reverse the 1988 Gretzky trade if I could.:D

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
While Cogliano would be nice to have now, I sincerely doubt he would be that player that he is now if he had stayed with us. In fact I'm not sure if he'd even be in the NHL

What are you basing this on? When Cogliano was here we were sometimes using him on the 1st line. He was doing great. The main difference between Cogliano as a Duck and Cogliano as an Oiler is that on the Ducks he isn't playing above his head. Any other difference is explainable by him being older and more developed as a Duck.

Cogliano is a young player who would have struggled here like all of our players, but his development would not have been ruined any more than Yakupov's, Eberle's, Hall's, or RNH's development was ruined. Just like all of them, if the team could improve Cogliano would look better too.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What are you basing this on? When Cogliano was here we were sometimes using him on the 1st line. He was doing great. The main difference between Cogliano as a Duck and Cogliano as an Oiler is that on the Ducks he isn't playing above his head. Any other difference is explainable by him being older and more developed as a Duck.

Cogliano is a young player who would have struggled here like all of our players, but his development would not have been ruined any more than Yakupov's, Eberle's, Hall's, or RNH's development was ruined. Just like all of them, if the team could improve Cogliano would look better too.

Agreed. Far too many of our youngsters have been force fed at an early age due to lack of quality veteran depth.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Smid trade for me

Cogliano was resisting the idea of being a bottom 6 forward and needed a second opinion, and magnifies the problem(both then and now)of too many smallish forwards.

Gilbert for Shultz was a wash, mediocre overpaid defenseman for mediocre overpaid defenseman. Neither fit on a team that doesn't have better players to carry them, a situation that hasn't improved since Gilbert left.

The Smid trade however, was for virtually nothing in return at the worst possible moment in the season. It forced the team to utilize non-NHL players like Potter/Larson more often, and made room for the team to go out and acquire another of Eakin's AHL deadweights in Fraser. First two trades made at least a little bit of sense given the players and their situations with the team, but the Smid trade was just the worse defensive team in the NHL outright throwing away an NHL player for a long shot prospect goaltender who might get a cup of coffee in the NHL 5 years from now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Interestingly enough, the Smid trade was the biggest WTF are they doing? moment at the time of time of the trade but now in retrospect, it was probably the best trade for the Oilers of this group because it gave the Oilers cap space from a player who was quickly becoming redundant, it opened up a spot for Marincin to flourish so now he's in his 2nd year and ready to take a bigger step (hopefully) as opposed to going into this season with another unproven rookie and they got a pretty darn good goalie prospect. I actually like this trade now after the initial shock, never was a big fan of Smid.

I was happy about the Gilbert trade when it happened but will admit to being wrong on that one. He's still the same Tammy that he was in Edmonton but he's a legit NHL defenseman who can still put up points, was actually very solid for Florida last season while Schultz is barely hanging on to an NHL career at this point. I concede to Replacement on this one. Ugh :(
This is probably the trade of the 3 that i would reverse today although with Fayne and Petry in the fold, Gilbert would be redundant. Could have used him the last few seasons though mainly for puckmoving purposes.

I was fine with the Cogs trade too at first and still am because he wouldn't be the player he is today if he was still on the Oilers. Now, they have filled out their 3rd line nicely so he really wouldn't be needed here anyway.
However, i'm glad to see that he turned around his game. He was always a good trooper here.

I'm gonna go off the board and say the Kale Kessy for Tobias Reider trade.

One of Tambo's departing crap deals. Reider has some skill and though he hasn't proved anything at the NHL level yet he may have been able to come into the league and play on Draisaitl's wing, which could have really inspired both players. Now we'll never know.

Yep, i'm still perplexed by this trade. The one thing that the Oilers lack in the pipeline funny enough is high end skill and Reider is not only skilled but he's a very good 2 way player.
Having Reider in the system gave the Oilers potential flexibility down the road to deal one of their skilled wingers or at the very least provided a good call up option in case of injury. Now, they don't have anybody worthwhile outside of Roy and potentially Slepyshev to fill that role and neither are as good a prospect as Reider is. Just a dumb, needless trade.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Only answer for me is Gilbert. He's an actual #4 dman, which we could still use. Cogliano wouldn't be the same player, and even if he was, he wouldn't be as effective here. Smid is a great guy, but he's not better than who we currently have

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Reverse as in "Make never happen?" None.

Reverse as in "give the same assets in order to restore the player?" Andrew Cogliano was 3rd in ES Ice Time on a very good Ducks team, where he killed penalties and scored 20 ES goals.

I'd give a 2nd round pick for him at this point, certainly.

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
Jarret Stoll trade
Hands down

We traded him and Matt Greene for a defenseman that got traded anyway

And then proceed to win 2 Stanley cups

This was a brutal trade for the Oilers. Haven't been the same since. I understand why it was made, but it killed us. We haven't had a face off guy with scoring punch ever since

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
This was a brutal trade for the Oilers. Haven't been the same since. I understand why it was made, but it killed us. We haven't had a face off guy with scoring punch ever since

We traded Stoll because he had one season where he was recovering from a concussion.

Then Gagner and Cogliano had their wonder rookie years and management thought they were the real deal, making Stoll expendable.
:shakehead

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Gilbert trade because I don't think we would have developed Cogliano into the current version he is with Anahiem. Gilbert was, and remains a decent defenseman.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The Smid one
He was a top 2 defender on our team and we traded him to our rivals

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If Cogliano were here he'd be playing over his head at 2nd line center.

Answer is Gilbert.

Real answer is for Lowe not to back out of Comrie for Perry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad