Which one of the kids is likely to be moved first?

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Ask yourself, who can you see on the Bruins and who can't you see?

Hall, RNH, Eberle, Draisaitl could all fit as Bruins.

Schultz, Yak wouldn't really.

I think those two are in danger.

I hope only Schultz is in danger.

He's going to love yak if he's played in the right situation

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My guess is:
  • Schultz- is already gone in his mind, he doesn't play heavy in the least and is pretty much the opposite direction he was stating he wants to go.
  • Yakupov- has some piss and vinegar which he likes, but I've never known Chia to be big on project NHL players, he's fine with project players in the AHL or juniors, but on the actual team I think his patience will be limited.
  • Hall- He loves him, always has. Seguin was always second fiddle to Hall for the Bruins.
  • Eberle- Is someone he's been rumored to have inquired about before, he brings enough offense and he's slick enough that I think he will overlook any perceived shortcomings or lack of heaviness. He'll want him to be a little more chippy in maintaining puck possession and getting it back when he doesn't have it, but if he can improve just a bit in that regard I see him sticking here for quite a while.
  • RNH- Brings elements to his game that he really likes, but isn't the defensive player that Bergeron or Krejci are and won't be putting up the crazy point totals that McDavid does or play the heavier game that Draisaitl brings and RNH doesn't have the same capacity to shield the puck and work a really tough cycle game. I think him staying will rely heavily on his ability to bring his defensive game to that next level. If he trades him it won't be because he doesn't like him, just that he thinks he can bring someone in that would help more and has been known to really stack his 3rd and 4th lines with high quality role players.
  • Klefbom- A little bit of a project, but he learns pretty quick and his big mobile nature, is something appealing to any GM. He'll have patience with him.
  • Nurse- His middle name is heavy and he has so much raw athletic ability, he probably won't push him into the bigs as quick as MacT would like to, but I think he'll figure into his long term plans
  • Lander- Is a tricky one, he's a good young two-way guy but he's not as polished as vets he can pick off free agency who could fill a similair role, I'm guessing a lot will depend on what the coach he brings in thinks of him. We'll see if someone other then Nelly and Swedish coaches can get terrific performances out of him.
  • Pitlick- I think he'll love him, no non-sense fast physical player. He'll get injured every other day, but it keeps his salary demands down and if he's on LTIR we get the cap relief anyway.
  • Marincin- He'll like him fine, just not as much as Klefbom and Nurse and with the inability to waive him to the minors, he'll prioritize the development of Nurse and Klefbom over him which means he'll have to trade him off.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
so Calgary is now a top 8 team. Still in love with all our danglers? Still think we'd be crazy to trade one of the wunderkids?

Calgary proves that so called 'talent' is not all its cracked up to be. We should never be afraid to trade an Eberle for a different kind of player. You do not need 6 or 7 nifty little danglers.

Thank goodness we, finally, have a GM that knows this, and all you Ebs/Yak fanboys can just lump it, because one of them is gone.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
so Calgary is now a top 8 team. Still in love with all our danglers? Still think we'd be crazy to trade one of the wunderkids?

Calgary proves that so called 'talent' is not all its cracked up to be. We should never be afraid to trade an Eberle for a different kind of player. You do not need 6 or 7 nifty little danglers.

Thank goodness we, finally, have a GM that knows this, and all you Ebs/Yak fanboys can just lump it, because one of them is gone.

Because Calgary certainly hasn't relied on a tiny, super-talented dangler for a big portion of their offense...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Because Calgary certainly hasn't relied on a tiny, super-talented dangler for a big portion of their offense...

they've also got this thing called balance, and heapin helping of guts and grit.

We can't keep giving our danglers an excuse and blame everything else. they are part of the reason we suck.

they're not that good.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

They could easily miss the playoffs next year, Vancouver was weak and tired all series. Winnipeg would've beat the Canucks in round 1, so would Nashville, so would St. Louis.

Chicago proves 'talent' is mostly what its cracked up to be.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

**** Calgary. Who cares..One hit wonders that will be back near the bottom of the NHL next year.

Oil have a bright future.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
they've also got this thing called balance, and heapin helping of guts and grit.

We can't keep giving our danglers an excuse and blame everything else. they are part of the reason we suck.

they're not that good.
Defence and goaltending surely play a role in this. Calgary played well and heavy, but also had great goaltending and has had a much better defence than the Oilers for a long time.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Defence and goaltending surely play a role in this. Calgary played well and heavy, but also had great goaltending and has had a much better defence than the Oilers for a long time.

They have a good defense, solid goaltending, and the play hard for each other like a real team should. They deserve whatever success they get, they are working their bags off out there, sad as it is to say our guys could really learn something from that team.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
So, with the hiring of Chiarelli, I'm sure one of the kids will be on their way out for some defensive help or goaltending. Seeing as our C depth is fairly important and a big body like Draisatl who is ideal in our conference could be moved to wing, I'd think Eberle is the odd man out.

I think Yak wouldn't return enough value, plus i'm really high on him and his shot and work ethic. I wouldn't mind trading Hall either, as he would return the most, but i think he holds too much value to the organization. Who do you guys see being traded out of the kids, if any?

Think 68M cap:
RNH 6M 15-16; 16-17; 17-18; 18-19; 19-20; 20-12
Hall 6M 15-16; 16-17; 17-18; 18-19; 19-20
Eberle 6M 15-16; 16-17; 17-18; 18-19
Pouliot 4M 15-16; 16-17; 17-18; 18-19
---------------------------------------------- 22M till 18-19
Mcdavid 3.775M 15-16; 16-17; 17-18 Newcontrat 18-19
Draisatl 3.4M 15-16; 16-17 new contract 17-18
Yakupov 2.5M 15-16; 16-17 New contract 17-18
Lander 1.0M 15-16; 16-17; New contract 17-18
Hendricks 1.85M 15-16; 16-17
------------------------------------------------------ 12.525M till 16-17
Gordon 3M 15-16
Purcell 4.5M 15-16
Gazdic .800M 15-16
KlinkHammer .725M 15-16
-----------------------------------------9.025M

Fayne 3.2M 15-16; 16-17; 17-18
Nurse 1.42M 15-16; 16-17; 17-18
Ference 3.25M 15-16; 16-17
Nikitin 4.5M 15-16
KLefbom .833M 15-16
Schultz RFA
Marincin RFA

We have 2 years before we touch the top.

If Chiarelli is better than Mac.
He unloads Purcell; Nikitin; Ference; Schultz.
without touching the youth!

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i'm not afraid to have PC trade anyone! in order for us to ever get out of the NHL's basement, we're going to have to rock the boat. good players, popular players should all be targeted in the name of getting better, unless people would like to keep watching us lose? it's been pretty obvious to me that the core is also part of the problem because they haven't been part of the solution. that said, would not surprise me to see one or more of Ebs, Yak, Hall, or Marincin go. outside chance of Jultz, Fayne, Scrivens, Lander going.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

they're not that good.

They've also got a thing called Brodie, Wideman, Gio and Russel. All of which are better then any of our defense save for MAYBE Klefbom. There defensive scoring compared to ours is night and day. Hard for the forward to do anything when you can't break a puck out of your own end.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008

Calgary has 2 seasons with playoff series wins in a quarter century.
this is there 1st since the lockout.

They have to sign RFA's
Backlund
Bounma
Jooris
Ferlund
this summer 15.

Summer 16:

UFA's
Giordano
Hudler
Hiller
Russel
Jones

RFA's
Gaudreau
Monohan
Granlund
Ortio

Not enough cap!
This year and next for them!

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
They've also got a thing called Brodie, Wideman, Gio and Russel. All of which are better then any of our defense save for MAYBE Klefbom. There defensive scoring compared to ours is night and day. Hard for the forward to do anything when you can't break a puck out of your own end.

Yeah, seriously, if we had an undrafted #3-4 d-man who spontaneously blossomed into a regular Norris contender and top 10 (when uninjured) point producer among dmen, we'd be in a very different situation too.

Calgary is putting up a great year and I genuinely admire that, but we can't look to them as a model because they're honestly in a unique situation with Giordano and Brodie taking such gigantic leaps in their level of play.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008

Do you Know Hockey?
Giordano is a minus player for all his seasons Except 1 with Bouwmeester
last 2 with Brodie.

Giordano goes and brodie faces toughs for 25min a night with Englland.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I find it very humorous that people assume Klefbom will be safe. The guy is Jultzing it up left right and center. Does not play a heavy game. Most certainly could but doesn't.

One thing for sure is his defense is atrocious.

Marincins defensive strength is far more up Peters alley.

Klefbom is just another Mac T Norris potential Dman who has proven nothing in his career yet. Don't think ol Peter gives Mac Ts opinion much weight and would move Either to pick up an experienced defender or goalie.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Do you Know Hockey?
Giordano is a minus player for all his seasons Except 1 with Bouwmeester
last 2 with Brodie.

Giordano goes and brodie faces toughs for 25min a night with Englland.

Giordano was possibly the best D-man in the league last season. Flames would dominate when he was on the ice, awful when he was off.

He was still fantastic this year (not as good as last year but still put up points and possession relatives).

Flames would be nuts to deal him. His last actual "bad" season was 05-06, solid since.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo none of them get traded this offseason. Even for a guy like Schultz, who doesn't fit with Chiarelli at all, I think he will give him a chance and recognizes the good things he does.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Eberle is the only one who should be available since hes established what he is in this league, doesnt mean he/anyone should be moved just yet.

imo, only Hall and McDavid should be the absolute untouchables on this team

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Hall is a franchise winger who is the only player on the Oilers with elite production over multiple seasons. Unless we are getting a true #1 defenseman, we should keep him.

I'd rather move futures and/or Ebs for a dman.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
[*]Yakupov- has some piss and vinegar which he likes, but I've never known Chia to be big on project NHL players, he's fine with project players in the AHL or juniors, but on the actual team I think his patience will be limited.

Moving Yak will be a major mistake IMHO. If you listened to McD's interview, he prefers to have a "pure goal scorer" on his line. We have only 2, Yak and Eberle. Out of the 2 you want to select the tougher and faster and that is Yak. That said, the line of Hall-McDavid-Yak will likely be an adventure on defense but I don't see the defense in the league that can stop the trio.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I do want to see how McDavid meshes with all of Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov.

We don't have to win the Stanley Cup all at once next season, so I think some of the "trade everyone but 2 people!" crowd need to settle down a bit.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Hall is a franchise winger who is the only player on the Oilers with elite production over multiple seasons. Unless we are getting a true #1 defenseman, we should keep him.

I'd rather move futures and/or Ebs for a dman.

I'd rather move draft picks and depth players but it might take more than that. Elite wingers are < important than top dmen so if it takes Hall to get a #1 guy then you do it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Hall, based partly on unsubstantiated speculation and partly on public information. Not saying I think Hall should be the first to move. I am just speculating as to who I think will be moved first.

Heard the following from a guy who supposedly knows someone connected with the organization. (Given the source I wouldn't put much credence in it, but it does make sense.)

1 - major tension between Hall and Ference in the lockerroom.
2 - Hall has been a real jerk to Yak basically because he's Russian, doesn't speak English so good, yada yada. Who knows what motivates a guy to be a jerk.

It's public knolwedge that:
1 - Chia pulled the trigger on the Seguin trade for 'more than hockey reasons'. So he's not afraid to move a good young asset and he values keeping the locker rom somewhat harmonious.
2. - Hall missed major time due to injury in three of his five seasons in the league.

Chia respects Ference from his time on the Bruins, and has publicly stated the he wanted to keep him but thought the contract Ference signed was an overpay. (Kudos to Chia on that one.) If there really is tension between Ference and Hall then I could see Hall being the first to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad