Which one is the best fit for the Habs?

Which of these young UFA forwards would be the best fit for the Habs?

• Total voters

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
70835305.jpg
I’m giving you a like for the movie :laugh:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Stone, easily.

Panarin didn't sign with us when it was between us and Chicago, i doubt he'll sign with us when there's 30 other teams lol. And tbh i prefer Stone as a player, he has some snarl to his game. He goes to war and brings his teammates with him, kinda like Gally.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
We can't afford a big contract without saying goodbye to some our guys coming up for UFA, they are almost all on steals compared to their production.

By the end of the 2021 season, we will have to sign Gallagher, Drouin, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Tatar and Petry. Also Domi by the end of 2020. As well as a number of less important guys that still need replacing.

Even if you say we can let a couple of those guys go, signing even 4 of the 7 will be expensive, and we lose 3 quality guys. Also Alzner is still on the books. We need to be careful with our cap space with Price's contract.

Hopefully our young guys can fill up spots on ELCs, but you can't rely on them replacing high end talent like the players I mentioned.
If we can't rely on our prospects coming in and replacing guys, and the current crop of guys we have aren't good enough to get it done (according to the majority), what do we do then? How do we get guys that are going to move the needle for us?

Let's take a chance and grab a guy. He'll be overpaid? So what. We need skill and if they have it, let's pay for it. The cap's only gonna keep growing and our line up is going to keep shifting as the years go.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
If we can't rely on our prospects coming in and replacing guys, and the current crop of guys we have aren't good enough to get it done (according to the majority), what do we do then? How do we get guys that are going to move the needle for us?

Let's take a chance and grab a guy. He'll be overpaid? So what. We need skill and if they have it, let's pay for it. The cap's only gonna keep growing and our line up is going to keep shifting as the years go.

You can't just hope it works, teams are always in different stages contractually. We happen to have a disproportionately large number of high end contracts coming up in the next 3 years, as well as the fact that it's possible every one of those guys will need a raise.

These are things you have to think about when planning to add a UFA worth 8m+. It needs to be planned out properly to make sure it works going forward.

As far as I can see, it would be tough to keep enough of our young contract pending players paying a UFA that kind of money. And like I said it's unreasonable to expect that in 3 years all of those names will be replaced by prospects.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We can't afford a big contract without saying goodbye to some our guys coming up for UFA, they are almost all on steals compared to their production.

By the end of the 2021 season (not that far away), we will have to sign Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Tatar and Petry. As well as Domi by the end of 2020. As well as a number of less important guys that still need replacing.

Even if you say we can let a couple of those guys go, signing even 4 of the 6 will be expensive, and we lose 2 quality guys. Also Alzner is still on the books. We need to be careful with our cap space with Price's contract.

Hopefully our young guys can fill up spots on ELCs, but you can't rely on them replacing high end talent like the players I mentioned.

Petry, Shaw and maybe Tatar are gone in the future, so that opens up a lot of cap space

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Stone, easily.

Panarin didn't sign with us when it was between us and Chicago, i doubt he'll sign with us when there's 30 other teams lol. And tbh i prefer Stone as a player, he has some snarl to his game. He goes to war and brings his teammates with him, kinda like Gally.

you wudda picked Hawks also at that time!!! Habs wasn't close to Hawks...BUT now in 2019 different story here....Breadman was coming....instead went to Hawks...but this time i think he could really land in MTL ....all this is for nothing if he plays fortnite tho...lol

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
From an asset management standpoint, signing a 27-28 year old UFA forward who has a legit chance to perform close to his projected contract for the foreseeable future seems like a good idea. Does not cost asset, just money.

Say the Habs sign Stone. Sure he'll likely get overpaid by a million or two. He'll also likely really help the team's forward group. At one point the Habs will be in a cap crunch but that will be due to an excess of good players in their prime years or close to. That's not a bad problem to have. To solve it you simply trade one of those good players for picks and prospects and voilà: win win!

Being a GM is easy. Especially where I'm sitting.

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
Panarin.
Simply because he's the most skilled of the bunch and I have a soft spot for the talented.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Petry, Shaw and maybe Tatar are gone in the future, so that opens up a lot of cap space

In your scenario, that cap space will be more than taken up by raises to Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi and Domi. I mean, Kotkaniemi is playing this well now, in 2 years...

Then on top of that you've just lost a #2/3D, a top 6 winger, and a bottom 6 C. And we still haven't freed up enough cap space to sign an 8m+ guy this summer.

It's the Price we pay for having some bad contracts on the team (AHLzner), and having a disproportionately high number of guys approaching new deals - who happen to be peaking production wise.

Please, anyone that doubts what I'm saying, go to capfriendly, and see if you can find a way to make it work.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I strongly doubt any of them will be signed by the Habs.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Head = Stone. Perfect Julien-type player and a great fit for us.
Heart = Panarin. A natural goal scorer with swagger to match.

Actually landing either of them would take things up a serious notch.

Reactions: Tourist

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We don't have a particularly great record when it comes to signing prime UFAs.

The question might more appropriately be: Which of these young UFA forwards have the Habs as their best fit?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I love Panarin, but Stone is the kind of player that makes the players around him better. Plus, Julien would love him.

We're not getting any of them.

Panarin is going to Fla or NY.
Stone probably stays in Ottawa.
Duchene I don't want.
No to Skinner too.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'd be targeting a LHD first but getting one of these guys in free agency would be amazing. Stone is the best fit but he rattles me so Panarin.

A trade for Ferland and Dehaan/Pesce makes a lot more sense in this case.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

The question might more appropriately be: Which of these young UFA forwards have the Habs as their best fit?

the biggest thing is the taxes so many said..well we just seen the Leafs get around that issue with Austin Matthews..so follow that blue print...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'd be targeting a LHD first but getting one of these guys in free agency would be amazing. Stone is the best fit but he rattles me so Panarin.

A trade for Ferland and Dehaan/Pesce makes a lot more sense in this case.

Breadman and Karrlson ..and we're set

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
the biggest thing is the taxes so many said..well we just seen the Leafs get around that issue with Austin Matthews..so follow that blue print...

I've seen a lot of posts here provide links and convincing arguments as to why the taxes are not a big issue. There are creative accounting methods to deal with them.

Players who don't like the scrutiny of a hockey-mad city and/or the weather, won't even consider Montreal and that's just the way it goes. Up to management to find other ways to sell the city to them.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014

Lol true that. I understand getting any of these players this summer is a long shot. It's just interesting to me that these 4 skilled forwards in their prime could be available at the same time. They have similar impact thus should have a similar contracts but are quite different in terms of style and skillset. I was curious to read other's opinions on them and who they think would be the best fit for the Habs.

No doubt that in reality out of the many teams that will approach them, they will pick the team that fits them best, and that based on recent history that doesn't bode well for the Habs. Alzner picked us though so there's that...

Reactions: Runner77

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
If I had to pick one, I would say Stone, followed by the bread man, but with that being said, I would be the happiest if we didnt over spend on any of them, and let’s face it, they are all gonna get overpaid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad