Speculation: Which one do you take if any?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So let's assume the new GM comes in and tries to do a trade around 8OA or Kane for D but return is insufficient fix the D mess we have. Whhich trade is your preference if we have to add Sam Reinhart to the equation?

Sam for Hanifin +mid 4th
Sam for Brodin + B level prospect like Alex Tuch
Sam for Fowler (signed on new contract) + late 2nd
Sam for some other option (something around Orlov, Muzzin, McDonagh, Sergatchev with appropriate added pieces secondary)
No trading Sam

Most of these got some approval on the Trade board from the other side (only Orlov was not discussed).

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
You'd be wrong though

Point me to anyone that has made a proposal where Kane is the centrepiece and D we need is coming back. I may be wrong, I am not a GM. I made the post with the condition that this is tried by the new GM and the outcome is nothing of value comes back. Of course if you can trade Kane for good D you do it before Reinhart, no one will argue this but that is not what I would like to be discussed.

...the no-trade at all option is still an option :)

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Keep Reinhart under a new GM, play him at Center. Trade Kane and other assets to fix the D.

We also should look at reclamation projects (LOOK AT JUSTIN SCHULTZ (traded a 3rd round pick and he worked out well)) and hope we can hit on one of them this summer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
image.png

I would shop Kane, 8th overall, Nylander, and a lot of other pieces before getting to the point where moving Reinhart were an option.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd prefer the Kane and/or other assets for D
Fully knowing that we aren't getting a big name, long term solution with those assets.
But it's still my preference to fill in the gaps, develop talent, and see what we have under a competent head coach... WAY before any Reinhart trade out of desperation.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'd prefer the Kane and/or other assets for D
Fully knowing that we aren't getting a big name, long term solution with those assets.
But it's still my preference to fill in the gaps, develop talent, and see what we have under a competent head coach... WAY before any Reinhart trade out of desperation.

This pretty much.

BUT a gun to my head and FORCED to make a choice, Reinhart for Hanifin option.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I've stated about a half dozen times that Reinhart + for Hanifin would he some what logical. It's obviously not the first choice I'd make as GM but I would definitely consider it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This pretty much.

BUT a gun to my head and FORCED to make a choice, Reinhart for Hanifin option.

I've stated about a half dozen times that Reinhart + for Hanifin would he some what logical. It's obviously not the first choice I'd make as GM but I would definitely consider it.

Yeah, if I had to move Reinhart, Hanifin +mid 4th would be my first choice and I would settle for Brodin + B level prospect like Alex Tuch.

Or, could we get Chychrun & Deangelo out of the desert?

:laugh:

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
He's a center? Play him there. See what he's got. Go from there, and not before

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Point me to anyone that has made a proposal where Kane is the centrepiece and D we need is coming back. I may be wrong, I am not a GM. I made the post with the condition that this is tried by the new GM and the outcome is nothing of value comes back. Of course if you can trade Kane for good D you do it before Reinhart, no one will argue this but that is not what I would like to be discussed.

...the no-trade at all option is still an option :)

Kane for Tanev has been discussed for months in these boards.

Kane for Scandella also works.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Draft a potential top 3 defenseman in this draft. This is (hopefully) our last top 8 pick in the near future and last opportunity to find a long term solution in our top 4, outside of trading Reinhart.

Trade Kane and other assets for other defense or defenseman prospects.

Didn't choose any poll options because the only keep Sam option also says to expect an UFA to turn into our 2/3D. The bigger name UFA defense will come more salary and term than they're worth.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
No way I'd trade Sam. We're not that desperate for D unless someone offers us a deal we can't refuse. We have other movable assets, plus Guhle, and then others in the pipeline including this draft.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
No way I'd trade Sam. We're not that desperate for D unless someone offers us a deal we can't refuse. We have other movable assets, plus Guhle, and then others in the pipeline including this draft.

If we aren't desperate for D, we are certainly ****ing close.

Don't want to trade Reinhart at all, but if it's him or a top four guy with years to grow, we may have to.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

We aren't? We have 2 quality NHL defensemen at the moment to fill 6 slots. I think we are all hopeful on Guhle to become a 3rd of these. The Russian may or may not sign with us and may or may not be proven to be good enough for the NHL. Bogo is considered cap dump by some, Gorges is pretty much cap dump and we have no one else in the pipeline that has shown promise. If this is not desperate, don't know what is.

Look, I don't hate Reinhart. I'd love him on our team if we can afford to keep him. The problem is after talking to other GMs it may turn out we can't afford to keep him as I certainly am not happy to go into next season without 4 competent D of which right now we have 2. Just refer to Nashville if you need any proof that D makes a difference. And I'm sick of us being mediocre to bad team... competent D corp gets us in the playoffs either next season or the one after even without Reinhart.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Keep Reinhart under a new GM, play him at Center. Trade Kane and other assets to fix the D.

We also should look at reclamation projects (LOOK AT JUSTIN SCHULTZ (traded a 3rd round pick and he worked out well)) and hope we can hit on one of them this summer.

My problem is if we play him at Center and he still looks mediocre, no one will give up a stud D for him. Now the sell of him as a Center and high draft pedigree is still there so his value is still quite high even if his numbers (in points) don't support that much. Or he may go to Center and be great there and we profit, but don't think Buffalo is in the position or needs to take that gamble.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
My problem is if we play him at Center and he still looks mediocre, no one will give up a stud D for him. Now the sell of him as a Center and high draft pedigree is still there so his value is still quite high even if his numbers (in points) don't support that much. Or he may go to Center and be great there and we profit, but don't think Buffalo is in the position or needs to take that gamble.

I think the problem is in your player evaluation.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think the problem is in your player evaluation.

IF? Are you telling me he is guaranteed to excel at C? I am not saying he won't but what guarantee is there that it will happen? I like Sam, I rate him highly, so don't know what the issue is with my evaluation. But for me in our position he is expendable. If we didn't have ROR, it wouldn't even cross my mind to trade him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad