Which of These Young Players Will Leave the Greatest Legacy In Philadelphia?

Which of These Young Players Will Leave the Greatest Legacy In Philadelphia?

• Phillippe Myers, Defenseman, Flyers, (1/25/97)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Flyers, (4/20/93)

• Tobias Harris, Power Forward, 76ers, (7/15/92)

• JT Realmuto, Catcher, Phillies, (3/18/91)

• Total voters

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The longer this goes i'm not sure if we're talking about the same type of stories.

I was referring to The Bat.

I was thinking, "Whoever the hell he's got in mind, I've probably heard more stories about Burrell," so I would say we are. :laugh:

I think I hear more about Embiid because they're easier stories to share. Less closed doors.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The stuff about Utley is spot on and I love Utley. The way he's talked about by this fanbase you would think he was far and away the best compared to Rollins, Howard, and Hamels but not true.

Its ALL about narrative.
MJ/Ali are usually called GOATs because their careers were like movies. Couldnt script something better.
I dont really see an argument for someone to be the GOAT in basketball for example outside of Wilt from a individual impact standpoint not to mention culture but Wilt lost so many times to the Celtics while Mike was never defeated on the biggest stage.
Let's not discount LeBron. He defo cemented his goat status by overcoming that horrific and overarching adversity of cramps on his way to win 2014 championship.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Didn’t even bother with a 5th because 4 just stand out from the pack.

4. Bryce Harper
Harper will be “the story” in Philly this summer and as a legit MVP candidate he will have a huge impact. However his long term impact will likely be diminished when the Phils inevitably sign Mike Trout in 2021

3. Carter Hart
Hart will be the first superstar goalie to play for the Flyers in 30 years. However he is a hockey player, and while we may be rabid fans, the Flyers will always be 3rd fiddle to the Eagles and Phils around here which will lessen Hart’s impact

2. Joel Embiid
He will probably win a couple MVP awards and lead the Sixers to multiple championships. Plus his social media presence is off the charts. He will be a household name before it’s all said and done

1. Carson Wentz
Philly is Eagles country, no other team comes close. I think Wentz will both win an MVP award and lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl championship in the next 5 years and that will be as big as it gets in Philly.

I'm shaky on Wentz and Embiid's long-term health, otherwise they'd be the no brainer #1 and #2.

Ben Simmons will probably leave for the Lakers at the moment when his star is at its apex.

Harper is 26, should be entering his prime. He could reach all-time legend status.
Hopefully Hart is the next Brodeur.

I don't agree with the narrative that the Flyers are hopelessly down the list of teams in the city. Besides the eagles it all comes down to having legit playoff runs.
When the Flyers were considered legit contenders during the 80's, then the Lindros era through 2004, they were a hot topic, contrary to the narrative spoken on sports talk radio.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'm not an NBA fan, so I can't pick Embiid, because eventually he will join the Lakers or Golden State, as is the destiny of every good NBA player...

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
I was thinking, "Whoever the hell he's got in mind, I've probably heard more stories about Burrell," so I would say we are. :laugh:

I think I hear more about Embiid because they're easier stories to share. Less closed doors.

Not trying to be cheeky here but not everyone is into "I saw Player X at a bar, drunk fornicating with 3 girls in the bathroom" stories. That kind of stuff has no interest for me.

Personally, I view players based on their contribution to their respective sport. So if Embiid is doing something clever on Twitter and then he has a couple girls backed against the wall at the bar, it doesn;t interest me much. So, that wouldn't influence his status as a legend for me. I'd consider that ordinary athlete behavior.

again, not being cheeky here.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I'm shaky on Wentz and Embiid's long-term health, otherwise they'd be the no brainer #1 and #2.

Ben Simmons will probably leave for the Lakers at the moment when his star is at its apex.

Harper is 26, should be entering his prime. He could reach all-time legend status.
Hopefully Hart is the next Brodeur.

I don't agree with the narrative that the Flyers are hopelessly down the list of teams in the city. Besides the eagles it all comes down to having legit playoff runs.
When the Flyers were considered legit contenders during the 80's, then the Lindros era through 2004, they were a hot topic, contrary to the narrative spoken on sports talk radio.
Kind of, sort of. For much of the time period from the mid 80s thru last season, except for a short time during the Iverson era and a couple other seasons here and there, the Sixers were horrible. Also, except for a blip in 1993, the Phils were basically out of it by August most seasons from 1985-2005. That allowed the mid 80s Flyers and the Lindros era Flyers to be the #2 team in the city during those eras.

When all four teams are good, the Flyers will, at best, be #3 on the totem pole after the Eagles and Phillies. It's why the potential for city wide fame and stardom for Wentz especially and also Harper and (if they sign him) Trout will always be greater than the potential for any Flyer or Sixer. Embiid is about as close to an exception as you can get due to his personality and social media and the fact that he is already, at a very young age, one of the top 5 players in the game. Lindros at his prime was the same type of exception. I don't think the Flyers have anyone right now at that level though Hart, if he wins a Vezina or a Conn Smythe, could reach that level.

If you look at the biggest names in Philly pro sports history, the only Flyers to probably be in the top 50 are Clarke, Parent and Lindros. For the Sixers, it would only be Chamberlain, Erving, Malone, Iverson and soon, if not already, Embiid. That means that the other 42 are probably all Phillies or Eagles. Heck, you could even argue that after the Eagles and Phillies, Big 5 college basketball (especially Nova) might be more popular in the region than the Sixers or Flyers except when the latter are legit contenders. And even the Phillies pale in comparison to the immense popularity of the Eagles in this area. There really is no one close. It's why, as long as he stays healthy, Wentz is easily #1 on this list. It's not even close.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Firstly, if the Phillies get their grubby pinstriped hands on Mike Trout then everyone else is probably playing for 2nd place. Trout, and to a lesser extent, Embiid, and Wentz, are the three who I think are most likely to be the exceptions to what I think is the most important criteria- did they win a championship?

Think about it, if the world ended today there are two players who would probably have greater legacies in Philly than any of the guys on the list- Nick Foles and Jason Kelce. Not because they’re great players but because they won a title, and in Kelce’s case, gave an epic parade performance while wearing a Mummer’s costume.

So right now I think the Sixers have the clearest path to a championship, then the Phillies. So I think Embiid is most likely to get a statue at the sports complex. Simmons I have some doubts about, like @Lotusflower. Then come Phillies- Nola, Hoskins, and Harper, in no particular order. I think of the three Nola may turn out to be the best at his position. Then comes Wentz rounding out the top 5.

Right now I just don’t see a clear-ish path to a championship for the Flyers so unless Hart turns out to be an all time great I don’t like his chances.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Firstly, if the Phillies get their grubby pinstriped hands on Mike Trout then everyone else is probably playing for 2nd place. Trout, and to a lesser extent, Embiid, are the three who I think are most likely to be the exceptions to what I think is the most important criteria- did they win a championship?

Think about it, if the world ended today there are two players who would probably have greater legacies in Philly than any of the guys on the list- Nick Foles and Jason Kelce. Not because they’re great players but because they won a title, and in Kelce’s case, gave an epic parade performance while wearing a Mummer’s costume.

So right now I think the Sixers have the clearest path to a championship, then the Phillies. So I think Embiid is most likely to get a statue at the sports complex. Simmons I have some doubts about, like @Lotusflower. Then come Nola, Hoskins, and Harper, in no particular order. I think of the three Nola may turn out to be the best at his position. Then comes Wentz rounding out the top 5.

Right now I just don’t see a clear-ish path to a championship for the Flyers so unless Hart turns out to be an all time great I don’t like his chances.

Love the Kelce point. He was an All Pro level Center for ~6 years and maybe 1% of the city could pick him out of a lineup until then.

I think Trout and Simmons have the same problem in this context -- it's going to have to come exclusively on the field/court. Embiid and Harper are the marketing machines. As you said, I just see Simmons being more likely to have that opportunity than some others.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Kind of, sort of. For much of the time period from the mid 80s thru last season, except for a short time during the Iverson era and a couple other seasons here and there, the Sixers were horrible. Also, except for a blip in 1993, the Phils were basically out of it by August most seasons from 1985-2005. That allowed the mid 80s Flyers and the Lindros era Flyers to be the #2 team in the city during those eras.

When all four teams are good, the Flyers will, at best, be #3 on the totem pole after the Eagles and Phillies. It's why the potential for city wide fame and stardom for Wentz especially and also Harper and (if they sign him) Trout will always be greater than the potential for any Flyer or Sixer. Embiid is about as close to an exception as you can get due to his personality and social media and the fact that he is already, at a very young age, one of the top 5 players in the game. Lindros at his prime was the same type of exception. I don't think the Flyers have anyone right now at that level though Hart, if he wins a Vezina or a Conn Smythe, could reach that level.

If you look at the biggest names in Philly pro sports history, the only Flyers to probably be in the top 50 are Clarke, Parent and Lindros. For the Sixers, it would only be Chamberlain, Erving, Malone, Iverson and soon, if not already, Embiid. That means that the other 42 are probably all Phillies or Eagles. Heck, you could even argue that after the Eagles and Phillies, Big 5 college basketball (especially Nova) might be more popular in the region than the Sixers or Flyers except when the latter are legit contenders. And even the Phillies pale in comparison to the immense popularity of the Eagles in this area. There really is no one close. It's why, as long as he stays healthy, Wentz is easily #1 on this list. It's not even close.

On a sidenote, what were the most popular teams in 1980?
I was in 2nd grad then.

But from my perspective during that late 70's/early 80's era the Phillies definitely the most popular team, then the Eagles. Hockey didn't really register with me. I was aware of basketball but that seemed like a minor sport compared to baseball and football.

Originally, I lived in Levittown and baseball seemed to be huge there so maybe that influenced by perspective. But to me it didn't seem the Eagles became bigger than the Phillies until 1988 when the Buddy Ryan team made the playoffs.

In terms of the Flyers, I didn't like the Flyers until I moved to Northeast Philly in 1984. The Flyers were huge there. I became a fan after being influenced by kids at school.

I lived with my grandmother until I was about ten. She was from New York and she hated all the Philly teams. I actually hated the Phillies, flyers and sixers because of her. ORiginally I rooted for the Yankees and the Islanders.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

So much wrong with this but I'll just leave it alone

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I was really young and my first interest was baseball, so it's hard for me to judge, but I got the feeling that the Eagles and Phillies were pretty close in those days (early 1980s). The Phillies won the World Series of course and the Eagles didn't, but beating Dallas in the NFC Championship seemed almost as big. Remember the 12 Days of Eagles Christmas?

I do think that by time Buddy got there, the Phillies were sinking into the abyss, and he made it exciting. That team was crazy, every week something astonishing would happen with that defense and Randall.

I watched the Sixers all the time, I remember the 7-game series vs. the Celtics, and I watched every game of 82-83 that wasn't on the West Coast. But I agree, it seemed like a minor sport, it was just cool we had Dr. J and Moses.

The Flyers I didn't really care about until I was 11 or 12, and it was mostly the influence of a teacher I had. When I got older a lot of my friends were really into hockey. I remember Pelle dying, and it was devastating.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
On a sidenote, what were the most popular teams in 1980?
I was in 2nd grad then.

But from my perspective during that late 70's/early 80's era the Phillies definitely the most popular team, then the Eagles. Hockey didn't really register with me. I was aware of basketball but that seemed like a minor sport compared to baseball and football.

Originally, I lived in Levittown and baseball seemed to be huge there so maybe that influenced by perspective. But to me it didn't seem the Eagles became bigger than the Phillies until 1988 when the Buddy Ryan team made the playoffs.

In terms of the Flyers, I didn't like the Flyers until I moved to Northeast Philly in 1984. The Flyers were huge there. I became a fan after being influenced by kids at school.

I lived with my grandmother until I was about ten. She was from New York and she hated all the Philly teams. I actually hated the Phillies, flyers and sixers because of her. ORiginally I rooted for the Yankees and the Islanders.
When I was a kid in the 70s, Philly was still a baseball town and the Phillies were the top dog. The Eagles began to move ahead in the 80s and cemented the top spot during the late 80s. They’ve been #1 ever since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad