Which of These Young Players Will Leave the Greatest Legacy In Philadelphia?

Which of These Young Players Will Leave the Greatest Legacy In Philadelphia?

• Phillippe Myers, Defenseman, Flyers, (1/25/97)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Flyers, (4/20/93)

• Tobias Harris, Power Forward, 76ers, (7/15/92)

• JT Realmuto, Catcher, Phillies, (3/18/91)

• Total voters

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Simple question.
Im sure everyone's had these convos with others and I should probably wait to see who the Eagles draft but who cares.

Rank these young players and please post why. You can pick up to 5 so pick as many as you want and then rank them for us with your resons why.

Thanks again, all!

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Total Rankings for me:
1.Wentz-injury concerns but has it all

2.Embiid-also has it all but worse injury concerns

3.Harper-Insane talent, charisma, might have to adjust attitudewise in this town for better or for worse

4.Simmons-Has the highest upside of any young player in the city currently but has significant flaws and is probably the most likely to not play out his prime years in Philly due to something other than injuries

5. Hart-Similar to Wentz he's got it all. But I just dont see him above the top 4 due to his position and the sport he plays. Unless he's Hasek (maybe he is) I dont think he catches the others.

6. Nola- He's got that Cole Hamels calmness and approach yet is more talented.

7. Hoskins-His game is must see TV when he's on. With all the hype around the offseason gets he might end up being the team MVP this year.

8. Konecny-My Dark Horse. Been in love with this guy since I saw a youtube shift by shift of him playing for the Spokane Cheifs what seems like a life time ago. I have little doubt he'll be a top line star. What's really gonna define him is how consistently productive he is once he moves to PP1.

9. Patrick-Has the personality of a pile of driftwood but has polish and creativity that is underrrated. As he grows into his game hopefully he masters the Couts style of dominating subtly while non allowing his natural creativity to be stifled.

11. Harris-Really underrated player in his own sport and probably throughout the city too. Any run the Sixers have now and in the future he'll be a big part of it. Cant see him being more than the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender though.

12. Realmuto-Also underrated. A true franchise catcher. And for a former catcher who had to grow up idolizing Mike Lieberthal that alone makes me happy

13. Myers-Could easily jump a ton of spots on this list as early as next year. Myers has flown under the radar his whole life so I wouldn’t count him out.

14. Sanheim- Same as Myers. If the player he was in lower levels shows up even slightly in the NHL then he’s gonna have one of the sickest highlight reels. Already has some sick highlights and he hasn’t even begun

15. Ghost-My favorite player to watch outside of Giroux/Konecny. He saved Hak’s job in his rookie season and then hasn’t looked the same. I think he needs the right coach and environment to fully show what he can do.

*HM to Couturier who by age standards should be on this list but I forgot him I guess since he's been a fixture for so long

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Didn’t even bother with a 5th because 4 just stand out from the pack.

4. Bryce Harper
Harper will be “the story” in Philly this summer and as a legit MVP candidate he will have a huge impact. However his long term impact will likely be diminished when the Phils inevitably sign Mike Trout in 2021

3. Carter Hart
Hart will be the first superstar goalie to play for the Flyers in 30 years. However he is a hockey player, and while we may be rabid fans, the Flyers will always be 3rd fiddle to the Eagles and Phils around here which will lessen Hart’s impact

2. Joel Embiid
He will probably win a couple MVP awards and lead the Sixers to multiple championships. Plus his social media presence is off the charts. He will be a household name before it’s all said and done

1. Carson Wentz
Philly is Eagles country, no other team comes close. I think Wentz will both win an MVP award and lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl championship in the next 5 years and that will be as big as it gets in Philly.

Reactions: magnumpi

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Assuming he plays his while career here, if Hart wins just one Cup in Philly it will be him. Even if it isn't factual, he will be lauded as the goalie that brought a Cup here and thr best since Bernie. If he wins multiple forget about it. If he wins none...I think history will blame his teammates. I don't mean any of this to be critical, I just think the position he plays and the hype and fandom surrounding him are prime for building a legacy.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I didn't have to think very long about this-- Embiid, Harper, Simmons.

Embiid and Simmons are the only two I am absolutely positive are long term elite players. Harper's a notch down, but the marketing aspects push him up to that level as well.

Laughed out loud at any Flyer being on that level. Hockey's a niche sport and half of this goofy hardcore fanbase thinks Leclair was better than Lindros. Good luck.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It is really tempting to pick Harper since he'll be here forever but if he actually succeeds in bringing Trout to Philadelphia, it'll be hard for anyone to remember who Bryce Harper is.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I didn't have to think very long about this-- Embiid, Harper, Simmons.

Embiid and Simmons are the only two I am absolutely positive are long term elite players. Harper's a notch down, but the marketing aspects push him up to that level as well.

Laughed out loud at any Flyer being on that level. Hockey's a niche sport and half of this goofy hardcore fanbase prefers Leclair to Lindros. Good luck.

Everything but football is a niche sport outside of championship runs. If the Flyers win a Cup with Hart he'll be a legend. None of the other Flyers have a chance.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
That lone provy vote is pretty telling. If we are going to he a contender we need him to live up to the hype.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
That lone provy vote is pretty telling. If we are going to he a contender we need him to live up to the hype.

Eh I think the standards of "leave the greatest legacy" are pretty damn high. Provorov could be as good as Eric Desjardins or Timonen and that'll be good enough to win a Cup. They were great Flyers but not exactly "legacy" guys. I don't even think Mark Howe or Hextall reach that level. You've got probably 20 Eagles of the past 40 years though.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Everything but football is a niche sport outside of championship runs. If the Flyers win a Cup with Hart he'll be a legend. None of the other Flyers have a chance.

Yes, but on the relative scale it's not close and the gap is only going to widen with the way the NBA is growing in media scope and the NHL is doing whatever the hell it's doing.

Plus you have the Flyers still branding themselves in a way that doesn't leave room for a memorable personality. If you wanted to tell me Gritty should be on that level, I'm on board.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Yeah fair enough. I haven't been around the city much in the past ~15 years so I don't have much perspective. I was around for the Lindros years, the Iverson years and the Andy Reid years. If the Flyers had won a title with Lindros things might have been different. I have no idea where the Phillies stand now or 12 years ago. I would imagine Harper's bigger than anything the Flyers could put out there for the foreseeable future.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah fair enough. I haven't been around the city much in the past ~15 years so I don't have much perspective. I was around for the Lindros years, the Iverson years and the Andy Reid years. If the Flyers had won a title with Lindros things might have been different. I have no idea where the Phillies stand now or 12 years ago. I would imagine Harper's bigger than anything the Flyers could put out there for the foreseeable future.

As much as we talk about sports as if they're a serious thing, I just can't discount how many kids are going to have Harper jerseys. Obviously Trout's better, but I don't think being the best makes you a legend unless you reach top 5ish all time (and admittedly Trout might). It's mostly passing talent/winning thresholds and nostalgia. Please note that I say this while I'm looking at Andre Waters' 1991 playbook hanging on my wall, so don't think I'm putting myself above that.

Is Utley the 2000s Phillie position player that reached that status because he was the best of the bunch or because people got to think they were smarter for liking him more, he cursed at a parade, and parents thought he was safe for their kids?

Reactions: Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
As much as we talk about sports as if they're a serious thing, I just can't discount how many kids are going to have Harper jerseys. Obviously Trout's better, but I don't think being the best makes you a legend unless you reach top 5ish all time (and admittedly Trout might). It's mostly passing talent/winning thresholds and nostalgia. Please note that I say this while I'm looking at Andre Waters' 1991 playbook hanging on my wall, so don't think I'm putting myself above that.

Is Utley the 2000s Phillie position player that reached that status because he was the best of the bunch or because people got to think they were smarter for liking him more, he cursed at a parade, and parents thought he was safe for their kids?
The stuff about Utley is spot on and I love Utley. The way he's talked about by this fanbase you would think he was far and away the best compared to Rollins, Howard, and Hamels but not true.

Its ALL about narrative.
MJ/Ali are usually called GOATs because their careers were like movies. Couldnt script something better.
I dont really see an argument for someone to be the GOAT in basketball for example outside of Wilt from a individual impact standpoint not to mention culture but Wilt lost so many times to the Celtics while Mike was never defeated on the biggest stage.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
It will be about wins. Wentz already won Super Bowl, I know, he wasnt a starter but still... If anyone else will not win any title, then I choice Wentz simple.

My rank:
Hart
Wentz
Embiid
Harper

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
That Phillies team is so odd. For a team that went to two WS it's notably lacking in A+ stars.

If I had a vote I'd put Utley in the Hall of Fame without too much hesitation but no one else really comes close. It's actually rare to find a team win two pennants and not do better in that regard. Pedro doesn't count, Halladay doesn't really either. I suppose Cole Hamels still has a slim shot.

But you could be forgiven for thinking that, at various times, Rollins or Howard were the biggest stars on the team.

Embiid has to make this list obviously. They'll be talking about him for 50 years+

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Hart is the only Flyers on that list who has a shot. Hockey and the Flyers have just fallen that far down the rankings of most casual fans, especially with the signing of Harper.

My rank:
Wentz - QB for the Eagles. Self explanatory.
Embiid - Bonafide super star and personality. I actually considered putting him 1st, since there is a contingent of Eagles fans (including me) who don't really connect with Wentz on a personal level.
Harper - Star player who chose to play in Philly. Yes, we offered to pay him the most, but he still chose to come here.
Hart - Being a goalie or a Lindros/Crosby level talent is the only way to get noticed by the masses if you play for the Flyers.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Embiid has to make this list obviously. They'll be talking about him for 50 years+

Is he already a legend? Because I think he is, but it could be my fandom blinding me to reality. The amount of people I meet that have a personal Embiid story (made up or not) is only rivaled by Lindros in my lifetime.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Hart is the only Flyers on that list who has a shot. Hockey and the Flyers have just fallen that far down the rankings of most casual fans, especially with the signing of Harper.

My rank:
Wentz - QB for the Eagles. Self explanatory.
Embiid - Bonafide super star and personality. I actually considered putting him 1st, since there is a contingent of Eagles fans (including me) who don't really connect with Wentz on a personal level.
Harper - Star player who chose to play in Philly. Yes, we offered to pay him the most, but he still chose to come here.
Hart - Being a goalie or a Lindros/Crosby level talent is the only way to get noticed by the masses if you play for the Flyers.
Do you mind if I ask why? This fascinates me.
Is it that he doesnt connect with you in the same way Foles does/did or is it somethign about the player himself?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Do you mind if I ask why? This fascinates me.
Is it that he doesnt connect with you in the same way Foles does/did or is it somethign about the player himself?

Hunter, country/mid-west guy who is very religious. Nothing about the way he plays.

In no way am I saying he's a bad guy or anything, and I'm extremely happy to have him as our QB for the rest of his career, but the personal connection just isn't there for me.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Is he already a legend? Because I think he is, but it could be my fandom blinding me to reality. The amount of people I meet that have a personal Embiid story (made up or not) is only rivaled by Lindros in my lifetime.

Yeah, just among Philly fans he's probably already approaching Brian Dawkins territory. The fact that he transcends sports and Philadelphia and has his social media uber presence makes him one of a kind.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Harper. Even though he isnt home grown...he is beloved from the start because he "chose us". Hes also coming in during his prime with a great supporting cast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->