Which of these two options would you prefer?

What would you prefer for this year’s playoff race?

• Get in as 8th seed while keeping current head coach

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Miss playoffs, land a top 10 pick at the draft

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Where is the option for 'Make postseason and lose in the first round'?
That's my pick. :wg:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1. This team is nowhere near bad enough to end up with a top-10 pick, and they have too many good players signed for them to become bad enough.
2. Any top-10 pick the Penguins would make this year likely wouldn’t have an impact in the NHL for at least 2 years, meaning you’re not going to see any benefit of a high draft pick until Malkin’s last year and after Crosby’s current contract is done.

This website loses its shit anytime the Penguins face any shred of adversity. Some of yinz need to take a chill pill :laugh:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We want to the next Nolan Patrick compliments of Ronny Hextall.

Reactions: JTG

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We arent bad enough to get a top 10 pick. I am happy to watch this core ride off into the sunset, a pick isnt going to help that.

MOAR 1st round exit stat padding playoffs for Sid and me thanks!

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I voted make the playoffs. If we're bad enough to get a top 10 pick, that means we're a really bad team and should start the rebuild and frankly, I'm not eager to do that. We'll have plenty of time to be bad when our stars are done.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
saying that a top ten pick wont help this team for two years might be true most of the time, but not necessarily. we have stars that are declining and it would add greatly to a young player that's bringing speed and excitement to the play. just seen it happen with lesser players too many times before, just not with top teams. but who knows?
edit; but then we would need a coach that would play them.:confused:

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
It's still a bit absurd that a Pirate or Steelers fan starts to get on a high horse about tanking. For a Penguins fan to do it.... The teams Stanley Cups. Every. Single. One. Of them. Are the result of a good old tank. If the team isn't going to be good enough, sign me up for a tank.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
EIther go all in to win, or lose in a blaze of glory. In professional North American sports, the teams that consistently finish in the middle of the pack do not reap any benefits.

That's not necessarily true all the time in the NHL, if someone just miss the playoffs (i.e. mediocre, seed #9) they have a small chance at a Top 10 because of the Lottery.

But the former I agree with you.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
To all those fans who love prospects and the feeling of what if more than reality and players who are good now, I promise you the time is coming where you will get your wish. Why haste the day?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Are we now going to see some Pens fans rooting for them lose for draft order like we do some Steeler fans on this board?

Sad fans.

I'm gonna say, the Steelers really need it, whereas, the Pens can compete on the fly while still in the Crosby/Malkin/Letang era.

The Pens had to be all in, as in, Bedard or nothing from the start (which they are well past) or try to compete.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You'd have to narrow down the pick. 1st OV to get Bedard? Yes. To get #10 who may not be an NHL player for 2-3 years while recognizing that an 8th seed can still win a cup? No.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Our last rebuild in the early 2000's we were lucky that it took 5 years because some teams have been in rebuild mode for a decade or more.

I dont think anyone here is actively rooting against the team making the playoffs. We all know once you get in anything can happen.

I think its just a matter of preference: I think most would prefer a long playoff run and coming up short to the chance at getting a Top 10 pick.

I think most prefer the chance of a Top 10 pick or better draft position to bowing out again in the 1st round. It's probably not worth another week or 2 of hockey to lower your draft position in hindsight.

I disagree with those that say that a Top 10 pick wouldn't help right now. The player would be ready by the time the core is closer to done. He will either be part of the rebuild or a valuable asset to gain draft capital toward the rebuild.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Yep lol…have they shown you anything that suggests they can win a round?
Not rooting for the Pens to lose. It's easier to get a little lucky and advance in the NHL playoffs. The Stillers had ZERO chance of not being embarrassed by Buffalo. Now all those wins are for naught. They were 8th in draft order at one point and could've drafted a real difference maker. Now, after all those meaningless wins, that's not such a sure thing. Only thing for certain now is the nauseating, insufferable, repetition about Tomlin's streak... gag.

Reactions: Andy99

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I know it sucks but the answer here is a top 10 pick
Even better if we can land another 1st by moving Dumo and Zucker

This years draft is very deep, guys can definitely be in the lineup within the next 2 years

+ I have a feeling some teams will pass on Michkov ( Russian factor )

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's really hard to say. It's possible a 10OA could get you a Jágr or a guy that could come in instantly and make this team way better. It's also possible we could draft a Derek Pouliot. :dunno: I guess it depends on the scouts and what the draft board looks like.

Generally speaking though, unless we're on a massive upward swing going into the postseason and actually look dangerous, I'd really prefer to keep the pick, even if we fall in the 10-20 range, because it's always easier to trade up than acquire a 1st round pick at the draft anyway.

Reactions: Night Shift

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad