Which of these teams has the most pressure to win a Stanley Cup?

what do you think?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Literally 100% of this vote should be Toronto, not because they are particularly old they aren't the only member of the core older than 27 is Tavares he's 31 and he's playing the best hockey of his career.

Not because there is any long term concern on D there really isn't because while Muzzin is getting older they have Sandin an Lilly coming up and Rielly still has years ahead of him at 27.

Not because of farm system is empty it's far from it, Robertson, Amirov, Kines, Niemla and Hirvonen are all good prospects not to mention Woll has showed some promise granted in limited opportunity.

No the reason it's Toronto is because if they don't make a run this year guys are getting fired and/or traded.

I'm talking about Dubas, potentially Keefe because a new GM might bring in his own guy, maybe Shanny although I think he has a little more rope.

Last year there was a documentray called all or nothing, no, no THIS is all or nothing THIS is it.

I think if they don't make the final 4 Dubas is gone and real change gets made.

Reactions: slapKing

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Unfortunately for Florida, it's not been nearly enough pressure in their history, and still in the present. They haven't built the fanbase or get the media pressure that they would feel the need to be more serious about that task at hand (mostly this applies to ownership). They'll put in the effort, but they don't feel a lot of pressure to not fail.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Toronto. Then Edmonton and then Colorado. But I think expectations are higher in Toronto this year.
I also think Toronto’s best shot is while Tavares is still playing at a high level and that is likely the next couple of years.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sadly the pressure is not Cup or nothing in Toronto. The bar is much lower. It's second round or nothing. Dubas gets 2nd round his job is safe I think.

The odds of winning the Cup are low even if you are the #1 team so Cup or bust is a bit silly without a huge window. Not sure 5 years is a reasonable amount of time to draft your core and get a cup.

We're due but it's too much to ask.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Colorado for sure. Toronto and EDM have insane pressure to get out of the first round, but beyond that most people have been let down too many times by Toronto to have any real expectation, and think EDM is incomplete and not winning games in a way that translates to the playoffs, to also give them any real expectations.

COL has been there a few times and fizzled out, but has been billed as a legit contender the last few years and won the presidents last year.

Of these teams, I'd say pressure to win the cup:
COL
VGK
CAR
TOR
EDM
FLA

In terms of relative pressure to 'not be a lifeless corpse in the playoffs', it goes:
TOR
EDM
Kessel Run sized gap
>everyone else

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Great post and how I feel.

Nobody really expects the Leafs to ever actually do something like......win a Stanley Cup, or even make the final!

Edmonton? They're missing something, possibly the playoffs at this point. But they could go all the way more easily than the Leafs.

Also voted Colorado. To me they're the only team I can think of that is constantly EXPECTED to go deep each year.
True, but I think the expectations of the fans: isn't the question.

Which team, i.e., players and coaches, feel the most pressure to win?

Pressure coming from themselves, management, ownership, media, and fans. (And fans of other teams, who like to point out their futility, long or short term.)

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I was going to say Toronto but they've disappointed their fans for so long. I'm voting Edmonton because fans can reasonably expect having hockey jesus on your team will lead to playoff wins but it hasn't

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I was going to say Toronto but they've disappointed their fans for so long. I'm voting Edmonton because fans can reasonably expect having hockey jesus on your team will lead to playoff wins but it hasn't

Since pressure is the main point, its still there in Toronto.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Will always be Toronto until (a) they actually win one or (b) the hockey media moves to a different city.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I'll take a different tack and say Florida.

Florida is the least valued franchise listed and success would benefit them proportionately the most.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers have the most pressure to build a team capable of challenging for a cup but cannot possibly have pressure to actually win the cup with this current roster unless someone is a complete fool and thinks it is actually possible.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The only answer is Toronto because of the market and the money they've spent on forwards with less than stellar results. Leafs are up against it.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Colorado = pressure to win the cup
Toronto/Edmonton = pressure to show they have what it takes to take the next step to being a playoff team

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
According to Forbes the Leafs are the second most valuable franchise in the NHL, trailing only the Rangers. They are the most popular franchise in Canada...and trail only the Habs in terms of worldwide popularity and recognition.

All that and they have had zero on-ice success stretching back 5 plus decades.

I'd say Toronto has virtually no real pressure to win. They could field a team of monkeys riding ostriches on the ice and 20,000 plus Leaf fans would fill the stands, the money would continue to roll in and they'd be quite content growing ever more fatter in the wallet...which is where their true success is measured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad