Speculation: Which of these players would you prefer CBJ to trade for ?

Who ?

• Total voters

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
As it’s been rumored, all of these players have been made available for a trade and I believe Columbus might have interest in all of them.

The asking price appears to be similar for all of them - one of our 1st round picks and a couple of prospects.

I personally believe we have some decent prospect pool built already and we can afford to trade one of those picks for a solid roster player to add to the core long term.

Who would want us to trade for ?

D Jacob Chychrun - 23 years old, contract year 3/6 $4.6m, 32 games, 2+6

C - JT Miller - 30 years old, contract year 4/5, $5.2m, 43 games, 15+29

W - Connor Garland, 23 years old, contract year 1/5, $5m, 40 games, 10+14

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The unfortunate truth is that we might just be in that spot early in the rebuild where we shouldn't add any of them.

I'd most love to add Garland though. What this team needs more than anything is a beating heart. And it would help the team-defense considerably to have a guy that can keep the puck on the forecheck. We have the puck in our own end so often largely because most of our forwards are geared towards one-and-done rush play. There's little sustained attack. And frankly I want to have that guy on my team and root for him. This version of the Jackets is borderline unwatchable, because they can't defend, and because they're gutless. It's not fun.

This is all for the sake of argument, I don't think Garland is available and the timing might not be right for us. But I do agree that the Jackets have enough picks/prospects to make this sort of move, and converting that into quality is good. Upgrades that help the team play with the puck more, and play better, help all of our young players develop.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Maybe none, but the sore lack of proper C is still the biggest problem for the CBJ.

Yes, Boone is doing amazing job as a replacement, but still the team would be much better having him as a 3rd center, not as the 1st.

JT Miller is not optimal, but if you get near PPG center at 5.2M, that's not too bad. I'd rather have a better one with 8M though.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
JT is too old for a rebuilding team. I went with Chychrun. Only issue with him is his injury history. He is an established NHL top 4 D man who would be a great 2nd line guy behind Zach. The lower of our picks and a prospect not names Johnson, Marchenko, Voronkov or Tarasov (also exclude Cole & Yegor if you consider them prospects), I make the trade.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like either Chychrun or Miller. Of course if value is normal. Even if rebuild the team needs few experience players. Besides if J.T. Miller plays center Boone could play winger.

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Maybe none, but the sore lack of proper C is still the biggest problem for the CBJ.

Yes, Boone is doing amazing job as a replacement, but still the team would be much better having him as a 3rd center, not as the 1st.

JT Miller is not optimal, but if you get near PPG center at 5.2M, that's not too bad. I'd rather have a better one with 8M though.

Yeah those better ones are just not available. I agree that the lack of talent at C is the most pressing matter.

Reactions: Halberdier

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Chychrun - Would love to have him, but left D is not where I would be spending our assets to improve.

JT Miller - UFA after next season, and I don’t know that I want to give up assets for a guy who can’t extend yet and will be UFA after next season.

Conor Garland - Let’s add another wing? But let’s have this one be undersized?

My vote is none of the above. I’d give up significant assets for Chychrun if he was a right D, but he isn’t. I am selling wings, not buying them. If I go after a center, I want someone who will be with the team in 4 years.

Reactions: Jovavic

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
My gut reaction is none...too early in the re-whatever and prices too high. And for JT Miller being too old.

But, then I started thinking that having a true center like JT around for the rest of this + next year to help Silly, maybe Johnson, maybe Tex develop as centers would not be a bad thing. I suppose you could even flip him at the 2023 TDL, when he'd truly be a rental.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Chychrun is an excellent player on a great contract at the right age.
However, there is one problem I see. You're paying premium price for his cheap contract, but CBJ likely wont gain much value from it. There is only 3 years left on the deal after this season, and during those 3 years CBJ will be rebuilding and/or benefitting from ELCs, so cap space shouldnt be an issue. Is it worth it to pay extra for a good value contract in this position?

Reactions: koteka
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
These are all valuable players, but this program isn't in a place where it makes sense to trade away the assets needed for any of them.

By process of elimination, Miller isn't a great for the CBJ due to age.

Chychrun is extremely valuable and young, but depending on the type of team ownership and JD and Jarmo want to build it would be hard to justify the price if Chychrun commands a Seth Jones type return.

That would leave Garland. he's 25 and on a good contract, with a skill set I think the Jackets sorely need. The rumors are the Canucks will only part with him for a significant overpayment. From what I've seen the Canucks seem to be willing to trade Garland for something like a '22 1st round pick, a strong prospect, a second tier prospect and a '22- '23 2nd or 3rd round pick.

From a CBJ POV, is either 1st off the table? Would the Jackets' be willing to part with a strong prospect as they are trying to build the team? Does it make sense to pay those prices if this isn't a playoff team?

I'd rather the Jackets make sure they trust their pro scouting staff and look for deals more like the Canucks made to acquire Garland from Arizona. Who is young, available and can develop into this type of player.

Reactions: majormajor

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Chychrun is an excellent player on a great contract at the right age.
However, there is one problem I see. You're paying premium price for his cheap contract, but CBJ likely wont gain much value from it. There is only 3 years left on the deal after this season, and during those 3 years CBJ will be rebuilding and/or benefitting from ELCs, so cap space shouldnt be an issue. Is it worth it to pay extra for a good value contract in this position?

Yes. It also depends on what the actual price paid is imo. Lower #1 pick - not an issue in my mind. Prospects not named Johnson, Sillinger, Marcenko,Ceulemans or Chinakhov not an issue. Bemstron, Roslovic not an issue, Would add Boqvist or Bean if necessary. Maybe my proposed deal isn't enough but I'd take a flyer on it.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Yes. It also depends on what the actual price paid is imo. Lower #1 pick - not an issue in my mind. Prospects not named Johnson, Sillinger, Marcenko,Ceulemans or Chinakhov not an issue. Bemstron, Roslovic not an issue, Would add Boqvist or Bean if necessary. Maybe my proposed deal isn't enough but I'd take a flyer on it.
I think Chychrun could cost two firsts- this year's and next year's plus one of Marchenko, Ceulemans or Chinakhov

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Based on the question, I would love to add Chychrun because I think he would slide in as part of the next core. A left side of Z, Chychrun and Gavrikov would be excellent (could likely slide Chychrun to the RD side if needed). Adds some size, 2-way play and a good contract. However, that said, I don't see me stomaching the assets to bring him in. That's where I'm a homer and love the development side and young players to the point I'm less objective. I don't want to give up a top 10 pick (but know that would be part of the deal) and I certainly don't want to move on from a guy like Sillinger, Johnson or Chinakhov. I'm also a realist and pretty certain that Bemmstrom and Foudy do not carry the high level prospect moniker any more.

Would pursue that one only but don't see the assets I'd be willing to move getting a deal done. Unlike some of you, I would consider moving Marchenko in a deal like this. But that would hurt. I think he's going to be really good for the CBJ.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think Chychrun could cost two firsts- this year's and next year's plus one of Marchenko, Ceulemans or Chinakhov

Basically the Jones price.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe I'd do EspenK's price.

FWIW Chychrun hasn't played well this year, it's hard to tell what the real price is.

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Combining this thread with rebuild duration one, it occurs to me that a successful rebuild does not mean do it with draft picks only. I'm not sure that works. I think a proven NHLer has to be added from time to time. Not sure Chychrun is the one but to me he seems like a good risk at this point in the process if the price is right.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Combining this thread with rebuild duration one, it occurs to me that a successful rebuild does not mean do it with draft picks only. I'm not sure that works. I think a proven NHLer has to be added from time to time. Not sure Chychrun is the one but to me he seems like a good risk at this point in the process if the price is right.

I agree, but you need to be really smart. I think adding a guy like Cernak in a couple of years would make a lot more sense than the choices in this thread. The guy has won 2 Cups. He is 24. He is a right D with some size. He could pair with Werenski and let Werenski do his thing. Tampa likely needs to get rid of somebody after next season because of cap issues (Cirelli, Cernak, and Sergechev will need new contracts). You need to be patient and strike at the right time. Like when we got Saad and then Panarin.

Reactions: Viqsi and VT

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree, but you need to be really smart. I think adding a guy like Cernak in a couple of years would make a lot more sense than the choices in this thread. The guy has won 2 Cups. He is 24. He is a right D with some size. He could pair with Werenski and let Werenski do his thing. Tampa likely needs to get rid of somebody after next season because of cap issues (Cirelli, Cernak, and Sergechev will need new contracts). You need to be patient and strike at the right time. Like when we got Saad and then Panarin.

Not that cap is an issue right now but Cernak in a year is probably going to cost a lot more than Chychrun now. But then again if Chychrun pans out here is extension won't be cheap. Either way at some point adding a free agent or two or acquiring proven NHL talent will be necessary to round out the team.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Basically the Jones price.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe I'd do EspenK's price.

FWIW Chychrun hasn't played well this year, it's hard to tell what the real price is.
I wouldn't pay that either. From what I've seen, that's the ask from the Coyotes.

Another source claimed the ask is “young player, a high-end prospect plus a first-round pick.”

Interpret that as you choose. Sportsnet has a piece using the Brent Burns trade as a comparable - Coyle- a high end prospect, Setoguchi - at the time a very good young player, and the Sharks' first round pick. The CBJ equivalent? I'm not sure, maybe Sillinger, one of Marcenko, Ceulemans or Chinakhov and the 2022 first.

That would hurt and it wouldn't make a lot of sense for the Jackets.

Reactions: EspenK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad