Which of these centers would you like Jarmo to pursue ?

Who to get ?

• Elias Lindholm via sign and trade

Votes: 42 43.3%
  • Ivan Barbashev via UFA

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov via trade

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Casey Mittelstadt via trade

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Kevin Hayes via trade

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Another player

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Jarmo should not get any more centers

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Here is an outside of the box idea…

What about Ross Colton? 6’0” 195lbs, 26 year old who was drafted as a C, and has split time on the wing and at center in Tampa. Good for 30-40 points with 12-13 mins a night, with more, who knows?
Has over 500 career faceoffs and is 52% in the dot. Currently an RFA but I don’t think Tampa can afford him.

Great post I would live this.

I'm hoping we make a move for
ROSS COLTON. Could be second line center. Love all the points you mentioned.

Though he is under team control as an arbitration-eligible restricted free agent, Colton could become another homegrown cap casualty. He is coming off a 16-goal, 32-point season, a dropoff from his 22-goal, 39-point rookie campaign, but he is due a significant raise after completing a two-year deal with a $1.125 million average annual value.

The Lightning could try to move Colton before the June 28-29 draft for a pick — their first selection doesn’t come until the sixth round — especially if they have any realistic hope of keeping Killorn. Losing both would be a major hit to their forward depth, taking away two of their top three left wings. The Lightning have only eight forwards under one-way contracts, and Jeannot would make nine.

According to Evolving Hockey, Colton is in line for a four-year, $3.351 million average annual value deal, which could make him a luxury under the Lightning’s cap limitations.

This is probably the worst offseason we’ve had,” BriseBois said during his season-exit interview last month. “Just the number of roster spots we have to fill and the cap space available to us is probably the most limited we’ve ever had it.”

Four members of the Lightning’s 2022-23 final-game lineup — forwards Killorn, Corey Perry and Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, and defenseman Ian Cole — can be unrestricted free agents July 1, so there are potentially plenty of holes to fill. Forwards Ross Colton and Tanner Jeannot are tabbed for raises through restricted free agency.

Trade-deadline acquisition Jeannot is the Lightning’s other potential restricted free agent. He is arbitration eligible and projected for a two-year, $2.105 million average annual value by Evolving Hockey. Given the bounty the Lightning gave up to acquire him from the Predators — their 2025 first-round draft pick, their 2024 second-round pick, and this year’s third-, fourth- and fifth-round picks, and defenseman Cal Foote — the team will certainly tender him a qualifying offer.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Here is an outside of the box idea…

What about Ross Colton? 6’0” 195lbs, 26 year old who was drafted as a C, and has split time on the wing and at center in Tampa. Good for 30-40 points with 12-13 mins a night, with more, who knows?
Has over 500 career faceoffs and is 52% in the dot. Currently an RFA but I don’t think Tampa can afford him.
I saw a list of guys who might be available for a trade and Colton was on it. At first I was like “that could be the guy we are looking for”. But then I figured one of two things would happen:

- He would bet on himself and sign a cheap contract with the Lightning that walks him to free agency. The Lightning would be willing to do this because their window is now.
- Because he has to sign a contract, he pretty much controls where he is going to be traded to. You don’t make the trade without a contract in place, so Tampa will let other teams negotiate with him if they want to trade him. So he and his agent have some power. He can say he’ll sign with us, but only for ridiculous amount. Tampa would want to maximize the return for the trade, so sending him someplace he wants to go should result in a better return.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gaudreau-Laine-Marchenko
Johnson-Jenner-Chinakhov

I don't see a problem fitting him there, but Maybe Texier can challenge?

Texier almost needs to be in there, with what he brings over essentially every other winger you have in there. Not only do we need another “top 6 center”, I continue to argue we need another guy with advanced “grinding” or “defensive” ability that can 100% play high in the lineup and keep his intensity up throughout the year. While he has an “edge” to his game, I don’t think he has much “nasty” in his game and I still look at Texier as a “skill player”. Bertuzzi type player or a MORE than adequate defensive/2 way center is needed.

We've seen Chinakhov-Johnson-Laine work too. Could be a good shortterm option until the 3rd overall guy is ready. Up to Babcock on who he wants at center. Unless he actually gets Roslovic playing well

Really though, what teams, lines, and at what time of the year did this line “work”?? I really don’t mean to be snarky, I just absolutely hate the line combo, and don’t see them being able to be thrown on the ice in “all situations” consistently and come out positive. They wouldn’t be able to keep the puck out of our net.

Any lineup with Laine at center is a lineup destined for another lottery pick. There’s no way Babcock considers fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Perfect example of people seeing completely different things. Also fascinating that all of a sudden the CBJ/NHL is where we “develop” 8 million dollar players. I’d wager a large amount of money on how this Babcock/Laine story will end, as it should have with Torts.

If he does his due diligence and watches the 2 games Laine played as C, I don't see why he wouldn't want to test that.

I guarantee you, he will see nearly the opposite of what the Laine Fan Club sees

This is the NHL, they play to win games. Laine at center doesn’t help the CBJ win games. Trading Laine (and ANYTHING else) for somebody who actually can play center, and/or help all the OTHER OVERLY OFFENSIVE young wingers keep the puck out of the defensive zone/net, MIGHT help the team win games.

Zadorov would look great as 3LD to be honest

Before we got Gudbranson. Zadorov was my #1 choice for this role a couple/few years ago.

Oleksiak would also be great, even still, even though my boy Bean can get knocked down any farther down the depth chart.

Don't forget that Laine may ask him to extend the experiment. And if Babcock isn't a fool, and he's not, he can try the minimum in preseason games.

@stevo61 I often write the Chinakhov -- Laine -- Johnson line. Why not?

Babcock will probably be as accepting of Laine asking to play center, as Torts would be, or as accepting as Larsen probably WANTED to be.

If Babcock isn’t a fool, if nothing has significantly changed with the (next year) CBJ center depth in the next couple days, after seeing what he has in the center pipeline at training camp, he’ll probably tell Jarmo he needs to go out and get another center.

Think of that line matching up with the best lines on the best teams, what happens?? Sure we (Laine) score, they score MORE.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I saw a list of guys who might be available for a trade and Colton was on it. At first I was like “that could be the guy we are looking for”. But then I figured one of two things would happen:

- He would bet on himself and sign a cheap contract with the Lightning that walks him to free agency. The Lightning would be willing to do this because their window is now.
- Because he has to sign a contract, he pretty much controls where he is going to be traded to. You don’t make the trade without a contract in place, so Tampa will let other teams negotiate with him if they want to trade him. So he and his agent have some power. He can say he’ll sign with us, but only for ridiculous amount. Tampa would want to maximize the return for the trade, so sending him someplace he wants to go should result in a better return.
Still could be had much cheaper than someone like Lindholm though.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Ross Colton scouting report:

A late-blooming talent, he showed slow, steady progress through two seasons in the United States Hockey League, followed by two seasons at the University of Vermont (Hockey East) before turning pro. Capped his NHL rookie season by scoring the Stanley Cup-winning goal and continues to carve out a place for himself as a reliable depth forward. Is not likely to become an offensive force, but knows where the net is and will go to the dirty areas despite a lack of optimum size. Needs to shoot the puck a little more.

Long Range Potential: Versatile depth forward with a little upside.

Jarmo better be shooting a helluva lot
higher than a guy who has a career high 39 points as a solution to our top 6 center issues. I’d rather roll with what we have and that’s saying something.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Still could be had much cheaper than someone like Lindholm though.
Not saying we should spend a heap just because, but this franchise has been patchwork or guys playing center in the top 6 that shouldn’t. So a cheaper (patchwork) option in this case shouldn’t be the play.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Source?

Maybe.

Compare that to when Roslovic was “good” and on pace for 58 points:

I’d rather pay a 2nd round pick for a stopgap C than a 1st + more.

I'd rather not pay anything and see how the guys we have perform in a completely new system.

I think you have to at least see what the guys do with a new coach. Seriously, it's a fresh start and it allows guys who might have felt Larsen had favorites or if a guy feels like he's in the dog house it can breathe new life into them.

Not thinking we're necessarily going to see a guy like Ros suddenly be a 1C, but crazier things have happened. Especially with the added competition of 3OA in camp, guys like Ros gotta have a feeling it's put up or shut up time.

Reactions: Marioesque

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Source?

Maybe.

Compare that to when Roslovic was “good” and on pace for 58 points:

I’d rather pay a 2nd round pick for a stopgap C than a 1st + more.

I don't want Roslovic anywhere in our top 6 either so that comparison doesn't do anything for me other than further my position.

Look -- I can appreciate the option. And if we needed a bottom 6 guy perhaps capable of playing higher up in a jam -- I'd be very happy with a guy like Colton. I'm just of the opinion we need to be shooting higher in the Lindholm / Hertl type tiers. I'm a firm believer there is a deal to be made for a guy like that this offseason be it shorter or longer term. Time will tell.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Think of that line matching up with the best lines on the best teams, what happens?? Sure we (Laine) score, they score MORE.

Very likely outcome, however it should be no ones expectation they'll just slot Laine as a center and he's a legit #1C right away. I was bummed that experiment was cut short, because he really did do very well in those 2 games he played as a center - he had a very sheltered role as was wise, but he took full advantage of that, bringing the results you expect from a top player being fed easier minutes. It would've been the perfect time to get him some experience since there was nothing to lose. Other than maybe drafting lower if he played too well :D

In any case the realistic scenario here is not sink or swim with Laine as your top-6 center. It's quite simple really, if you have a player that shows interest in playing C, of course you take that into account. Likewise you keep icing the lineup that you think gives you the best chance to win. Way too much noise around the whole thing.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With getting Fantilli... I'm not sure Laine gets a true look at center.

Gaudreau - Fantilli - Laine

Just looks like it could be toooooooo f***ing fun. Fantilli being the bull in the china shop creating space for Gaudreau and Laine to work. And if the D cheats to either of them Fantilli should be more than capable of taking advantage of any space they give him.

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
With getting Fantilli... I'm not sure Laine gets a true look at center.

Gaudreau - Fantilli - Laine

Just looks like it could be toooooooo f***ing fun. Fantilli being the bull in the china shop creating space for Gaudreau and Laine to work. And if the D cheats to either of them Fantilli should be more than capable of taking advantage of any space they give him.
Gaudreau-Fantilli-Marchenko
Jenner-Johnson-Laine
Thats the top 6 I hope for moving forward. No shortage of skill and get some grit and compete on each line

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Gaudreau-Fantilli-Marchenko
Jenner-Johnson-Laine
Thats the top 6 I hope for moving forward. No shortage of skill and get some grit and compete on each line
I'm just not entirely sold on Marchenko having that true top line potential. Laine without a doubt does and I think playing with Fantilli annnd Gaudreau helps get him over that hump. I don't think we've seen the best of Patrik Laine in Columbus yet.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm just not entirely sold on Marchenko having that true top line potential. Laine without a doubt does and I think playing with Fantilli annnd Gaudreau helps get him over that hump. I don't think we've seen the best of Patrik Laine in Columbus yet.

I'd want someone opposite Gaudreau that doesn't need to have the puck too much. Marchenko is good for that. If Laine is playing that way then he's the best for that line but he often gets in funks where he wants to feel the puck a lot.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Neither do I but its line construction as Major touched on in his response. I want 2 top lines and I like to think in duo's
Gaudreau/Fantilli Johnson/Laine are my duo's. Marchenko is the best RW we have to fill the role he needs to fill and Jenner brings the grit and net front play Johnson/Laine would need in a linemate.

Ill say it out loud that I think Marchenko is overrated as a player but he's a rink rat and still has potential so im curious to see where he ends up

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Neither do I but its line construction as Major touched on in his response. I want 2 top lines and I like to think in duo's
Gaudreau/Fantilli Johnson/Laine are my duo's. Marchenko is the best RW we have to fill the role he needs to fill and Jenner brings the grit and net front play Johnson/Laine would need in a linemate.

Ill say it out loud that I think Marchenko is overrated as a player but he's a rink rat and still has potential so im curious to see where he ends up
I mean I'm not opposed, I just wanna see them dish it around I think they'd be dangerous moving it around as anyone of them could get it off at a moments notice.

Im more curious to hear what Babs is gonna have to say about the roster and how he plans to utilize everyone...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As I said in the Armchair GM thread: with Fanta on the roster (assuming he signs and is playing right away) the need for a center has drastically fallen. We don't need to spend prime assets and cap space for Lindholm if it doesn't make sense to do so.

What we need is a short term fix to ease Fantilli in to the mix and show him the ropes. If we have him as the 3rd line C with potential to move up as the season moves along and he gets his feet wet, that's perfect for me IMO. The guy who best fits this need on the UFA market would be Ryan O'Reilly. But would he come here? And more importantly, if he would come here whats the price tag? Personally I wouldn't go for anything over 2 years which probably won't get you RoR.

So that leaves trade options. Backlund fits, but he's a pure rental right now and I don't like that either. Would he sign a 2 year contract? Is there another veteran 2nd line center out there we could go fetch for a modest return?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Marchenko reminds me of Svechnikov. Laine is definitely better but Marchenko is very good right out of the gate and the 2nd best RH winger so if Laine plays C then Kirill should probably play 1st line RW. If Laine plays wing that pushes Marchenko down a line but there's now so much talent in top 6 that it will still give him great linemates.

I do want to see Fantilli playing with Laine and Johnny, that should work great.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
After getting Fantilli i think, we need veteran C with decent salary to guide Fantilli for first 2years. RoR? Depending for his salary.

Johnny - VeteranC - Marchenko
Tex - Laine/Johnson - Laine/Johnson
Jenner - Fantilli - Chinakov
Danforth - Kuraly - Olivier/Voronkov

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I mean I'm not opposed, I just wanna see them dish it around I think they'd be dangerous moving it around as anyone of them could get it off at a moments notice.

Im more curious to hear what Babs is gonna have to say about the roster and how he plans to utilize everyone...
The Babcock thing is key. He may not know for sure until he gets them in the ice what kind of system/style of play he plans to employ. He may have a plan but if the guys don’t take to it or he finds out he’s wrong then it will change.

Lines combos are not only about passing and scoring in the top 6 and matchups and defending in the bottom six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad