Which of the Top-8 clubs do you think will go ALL THE WAY and which'll FALL FLAT?

torlev*

Agreed with what you said about the Isles likely to fall because of growing pains. They just don't have the experience in their core to go all the way yet, and they will face growing pains (although it does point to how big it was to bring in two Cup winners right before the season started).

The only thing I disagree with is that winning in OT and SO is luck. I have no idea how winning in OT is luck, but I'd even argue against the SO being "luck" to win. The bottom line is that they have one of if not the best shootout rosters on paper. They are winning them because they are better than everyone else at them. It helps when you can pick high-skilled forwards with a top 10 pick in the draft year after year. The Isles need to get to their seventh shooter (Bailey) before there is some kind of drop-off in my confidence that they can score and he went 3rd yesterday and scored for the winner. That's behind (in no order) Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Strome, Nelson, Grabovski. Then you have Bailey, Grabner, Cizikas, and Kulemin. There's 10 players on the forward ranks that have hands and multiple shootout moves. Bottom line is --- they are good at shootouts for a reason.

What IS accurate however, is that this won't work in the playoffs. Doesn't mean it's luck now. Just means they will have to win 5 on 5 in the playoffs, which will be tough for them without the experience.

Sure, winning in OT doesn't necessarily mean luck. Winning every game in OT certainly requires some fortunate circumstances. You can't be so close with so many teams (i.e. going to OT = close game obviously), and then expect to come out on top in every single OT and shootout.

When games get into OT, I think you’d have to agree, they could go either way. One little bounce, one good play, and it’s over, in either direction. The chances of taking 9 games past regulation in a tie, and winning every single one is highly unlikely.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
All of these are very good teams. Of these though, I’d say the Islanders are most likely to stumble. It’s just growing pains. They’ve got some good young players, but growing pains are likely. They’ve also been pretty fortunate to benefit in a big way from shootouts and overtime. Which is a fair bit of luck. (and yes, some skill too).

Detroit too. Old. An injury or two, and they could suffer. They don’t have great depth, IMO.

Welp. Without being overly sarcastic just go ahead and take a look at last season.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
Chicago look very strong as per usual.

Leafs won't shake the earth.

Understand the anti - Isles sentiment as they are young and give up goals but I think they could make the Eastern finals. There isn't a team there they can't beat or haven't already beaten, and as the season draws on I think they will learn about the long haul and how it applies to the play offs. They don't have enough to win it all right now, a team like Boston can grind them out over a series.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Rest assured, us Blues will find a way to fall flat in the first round again.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Sure, winning in OT doesn't necessarily mean luck. Winning every game in OT certainly requires some fortunate circumstances. You can't be so close with so many teams (i.e. going to OT = close game obviously), and then expect to come out on top in every single OT and shootout.

When games get into OT, I think you’d have to agree, they could go either way. One little bounce, one good play, and it’s over, in either direction. The chances of taking 9 games past regulation in a tie, and winning every single one is highly unlikely.

Ok I see your point. I would expect them to win more often than not because (a) they are a good fast team and 4 on 4 helps them and (b) they are good at shootouts. It's not exactly a coin flip. But yes, winning every single one would be out of the ordinary. It's really exactly the same [in the other direction] of the Devils last year. Devils fans said, we will be better this year because there is no way we will lose every shootout. Yes, losing every single one is a tiny bit of bad luck, but it's also because the team just isn't very good at shootouts. There is a difference between regressing to the mean and suddenly being at the mean.

As for the one little bounce thing, you are also right. But I think it is just a perception thing because our brain focuses on OT stats since they are easily distinguishable. Nobody is discounting other teams that play in close games in regulation. How about teams that are constantly in one goal games, or constantly tied in the third? If team X is 10-2 in one goal games, I should say that is a bit of luck since one little bounce a couple of times can make them 6-6.

I'm being a bit extreme to get my point across. Teams find ways to win. I wouldn't discredit the Kings cup because they won a bunch of games in OT. The fact that Isles find ways to win tight games bodes well for them, not the opposite.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Interesting list. Other than Chicago I can see some weakness in every team there.

Anaheim and St Louis have to get better goal tending.

Pittsburgh needs to get and stay healthy and have MAF not go flaky in the playoffs.

Isles are newbies who will probably fade a bit and then be overwhelmed in the playoffs.

TB is fading right now.

Detroit is one or two injuries away from missing out and their goaltending isn't the strongest.

Nashville could be a sleeper but they also could be overachieving to date. They will go as far as Rinne carries them imo.

Joedaman55

Jun 7, 2014
Anchorage, AK
I really like the way St. Louis has looked so I think thus far they can go all the way off of that list. Chicago and LA are also in that realm as they are incredible deep.

Fall flat I think it will be Detroit. Age will wear on them in the second half of the season.

All the mentioned teams should make the playoffs though.

torlev*

Ok I see your point. I would expect them to win more often than not because (a) they are a good fast team and 4 on 4 helps them and (b) they are good at shootouts. It's not exactly a coin flip. But yes, winning every single one would be out of the ordinary. It's really exactly the same [in the other direction] of the Devils last year. Devils fans said, we will be better this year because there is no way we will lose every shootout. Yes, losing every single one is a tiny bit of bad luck, but it's also because the team just isn't very good at shootouts. There is a difference between regressing to the mean and suddenly being at the mean.

As for the one little bounce thing, you are also right. But I think it is just a perception thing because our brain focuses on OT stats since they are easily distinguishable. Nobody is discounting other teams that play in close games in regulation. How about teams that are constantly in one goal games, or constantly tied in the third? If team X is 10-2 in one goal games, I should say that is a bit of luck since one little bounce a couple of times can make them 6-6.

I'm being a bit extreme to get my point across. Teams find ways to win. I wouldn't discredit the Kings cup because they won a bunch of games in OT. The fact that Isles find ways to win tight games bodes well for them, not the opposite.

Things are finally coming together for the Isles. I like them. They look good. I think they're fortunate to have the record (points) they do now though, and even if they play just as well as they are now, they may not come out with as many points as they have been.

Young teams also have a tendency to hit skids, that last a little longer than they would with experienced teams.

They’re a young, improving team, I just think, as I say, they could very well hit some “growing painsâ€.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
Things are finally coming together for the Isles. I like them. They look good. I think they're fortunate to have the record (points) they do now though, and even if they play just as well as they are now, they may not come out with as many points as they have been.

Young teams also have a tendency to hit skids, that last a little longer than they would with experienced teams.

They’re a young, improving team, I just think, as I say, they could very well hit some “growing painsâ€.

It's about time the pens had a challenger in the metro that's for sure.

They will stumble but what a core they have there.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
B's Deep: Nashville - Strong like bull
Fail: Islanders - They just aren't good enough.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Rest assured, us Blues will find a way to fall flat in the first round again.

If we actually get a first round opponent I don't think that's the case. Running into LA and Chicago every year just blows.

If we can somehow NOT play Chicago I love our chances against every single other team..Wouldn't love playing the Ducks but I'd be comfortable with it. Can beat Chicago but I wouldn't bet on it.

Best way for STL to make the finals FINALLY, have either the Hawks or Blues finish 1st in the division so they don't play eachother. Hawks lose to either Preds or Wild card team, Blues survive everyone else.

I can already see with our luck the Preds getting the Central and another 1st round matchup against the Hawks.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I'm not comfortable with all the love Chicago's getting in this thread. Come on, somebody, tell me they're too soft to win a cup. Or that Toews is overrated. Something.

I think people are underrating Tampa. I don't know if they an go all the way, but I expect a strong playoff run.

Last edited:

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Really tough to say actually.

For sure see the Ducks, Hawks, and Blues as SCF calibre teams. Pens are a huge question mark, they'll go "all the way" in the regular season then likely "fall flat" in the playoffs.

Tampa I see turning things around and remaining an elite team and contender.

That leaves NYI. Detroit, and Nashville.

Gonna leave NYI out because I am a fan, but I definitely expect a top 4 in the East slot.

Detroit I think has the most "fall flat" potential in the East because I think Howard is gonna cool off and it's just hard to imagine Datsyuk and Zetterberg both staying healthy. Detroit is deeper and younger elsewhere but I think too much rides on those 2. I definitely don't predict them to cool off big time but I would say they are the most likely of the East teams.

I don't know if the Preds can contend, but they're for real. Have a great top of their defense and goaltending, and have gotten scoring from all around this year. I'd like to see them keep it up. Like Detroit, probably my most likely to "fall flat" in the West, but I don't see it happening regardless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad