Which of the following players will Jack Hughes be at least as good as?

Which of the following players will Jack Hughes be at least as good as?

• Total voters

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Best play maker among the names, here. Hughes has a way of making his linesmates look like lottery picks. I see him as a perennial 90-pt player, turning average linemates into 40-goal scorers. Give him a few years to adjust.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't see him being a top 5 centre in the league. Eichel might be his ceiling but I don't quite think he will meet there, close but not quite.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im pretty confident in saying Jack Hughes will at least be a better player than 2018-2019 Patrik Laine.

But that's as far as i can go. We don't even know the ceiling with the guys in this poll (aside from maybe MacKinnon who is entering his 7th NHL season).

Eichel is entering his 5th, Laine and AM their 4th. To put things into perspective, MacKinnon's career high in pts going into his 5th NHL season was 63. Now he's a player knocking on the 100 pts door 2 years in a row. It's a dangerous time to make any blunt statements with these players.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Very outside chance at Laine. That said I voted for none of them. Just don’t think he’s that good for a number one overall and all of that list are very good players.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Hughes has a challenge in a sense that he's not at NHL size or strength yet.

Matthews/Eichel/MacKinnon and Laine all came into the league at a solid, strong, physically ready body.

Hughes will have a tough time adapting in that sense.

Long term though, I see him as a 85-90 point player, on par with Laine/Eichel.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Laine and Matthews have set the bar pretty low. Should best them pretty easily.

Matthews and Laine are 5th and 6th in goals scored since entering the league respectively. Matthews is 2nd in goals scored per game. How do you manage to tie your own shoes?

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
No guarantee he’s as good as any of them. Poor Laine gets no respect for what he’s been able to do already at such a young age.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Was reading back into the Hughes’ threads when I rejoined HF

You just come across as a major hater in all of them. Werent you advocating Jack plays college for a year or two before the NHL?

Should probably hand in your rights to ever discuss a prospect again lmao

Would you have even wasted your time doing this if NJ didn't win the lottery? If the Ranger's won the lottery, you probably would be on this guys side

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I would bet that he ends up better than what Laine has been so far, and probably at least offensively similar to what Eichel & Matthews are currently but they both seem to be trending up in that department as well so I would probably bet on those two peaking a little higher than Hughes, but I think he'll be good enough to be the best player on a team that contends for a long time

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Haha this guy. I agree on laine though. Should be better than him.

I think Laine will be a good player and Matthews a very good player (who's clearly not worth 11+).

Hughes will likely fall in the very good player category too.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
No I wouldnt, but sure assume things about people you dont know lol

Youre the one confessing that you delved into Hughes threads. If NJ doesnt win the lottery, you're telling me you'd still be going back into the Hughes threads?

Gonna call bs on that. You'd be going back into the Kakko threads or whatever prospect your team ended up with, then trying to pump them up too. Seems like revisionist history to tell the other guy he cant talk about prospects when it seems like you came back to bandwagon on Jack Hughes.

For the record I voted for him quite well in this thread, so I'm not a hater.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Laine is a one trick pony so I could see Hughes being the better player down the road. As for the other three players I would say he won't quite reach that level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad