Which of the current star players will be good at age 35 and which won't?

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Interesting to see so many positive comments on Wheeler. A lot of Jets fans seem to believe he is already going downhill (even though he just had a career year, is on a powerhouse team, and is in phenomenal shape) and will be crap in two years
A lot of Jets fans? I haven't seen any Jets fans that think this. Literally zero. I may have missed the odd comment or something but otherwise, I have no idea where you're getting that from.

Gordie Howe Army

Jun 16, 2018
will have problems:
- guys who's game relies primarily on speed
- very physical players (increased injury risk)
- anybody with a history of serious back, knee or ankle injuries

will age well:
- crafty, cagey vets with high hockey IQ who are good passers (Backstrom)
- big bodied defenders (Chara)
- those surrounded by other good players (so they don't always have to carry the load)
- anybody who can quarterback a PP1

Reactions: CanuckCity

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Tavares doesn’t rely on speed to be effective. Wouldn’t that make him a likely candidate to still be effective at 35? Seen his name a few times here and I just don’t see it. Not that it wouldn’t make me happy as a habs fan.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Tavares doesn’t rely on speed to be effective. Wouldn’t that make him a likely candidate to still be effective at 35? Seen his name a few times here and I just don’t see it. Not that it wouldn’t make me happy as a habs fan.
No reason for him to not be able to produce, great IQ, passing, shot, deflections, etc. He could easily have a career like Joe Thornton in his later years

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Yeah i think its the guys who's primary asset is speed who are the ones most likely to have a severe drop-off. Also those who are heavily reliant on their shot and arent strong skaters.

McDavid is an exception because the rest of his game is also so elite. As others have said he'll find a way to control the game by slowing it down instead. I do worry about serious injury potential with how fast he flies around the ice though.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Wheeler isn't a good skater? You have no clue what you're talking about lmao.
You obviously don’t know how to read
Point 4 is guys that aren’t good skaters. Draisatl has good straightaway speed like Wheeler.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Bad:
Tavares will definitely drop off quite a bit.
Pavelski.
Wheeler
Draisatl
Pretty much guys that are not good skaters when they slow down one step will cause huge drops in production

Good:
High end speed guys. Guys that will still skate well when they drop a spot
McKinnon
Hall
Mcdavid
Barzal

I actually think the inverse is true. I mean dudes like McDavid are an exception because he's incredible at everything, but players who have never played an outright speed game are often better adjusted for relying on their vision/anticipation/hands. Hall is one of the guys I could see decaying hard at 35. Giroux, for instance, has never been a phenomenally fast skater, his entire game is based off of really smart passing and he can be dominant from a stationary position. He probably won't fall off very hard.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Heatley, Redden, Cheechoo, Lecavalier, Gomez, Mike Richards, Brads Richards, Semin, Briere, Drury, Setogouchi, Hemsky, all pretty good examples of players that fell off a cliff. Lots were probably injury related, some might've just felt the effects of natural aging, or paid less attention to conditioning, or a combination of all those factors.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00