Which of the current star players will be good at age 35 and which won't?

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
He's too nerdy looking, I agree. I can't imagine him as an actual veteran player in the league. NHL should ban nerdy looking players from the league for damaging the reputation of the sport.

agreed.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Honestly, I'm a leafs fan and I don't really see the big 3 young guys being super effective at 35 with their current styles, though Matthews could change and Marner's speed may help him last longer. Tavares will be though.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Karlsson will be a star at 35, 100%. His injury history is super overblown. His ability to recover is superhuman.

Mark Stone, on the other hand, I really worry about. He won't ever be terrible but I could see him struggling to score at a high rate if he loses a step.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Maybe you could illuminate us with your guess.

I don’t really have a horse in this way. It’s hard to project players.
Me saying such doesn't really mean I have one myself.

Random guesses in the dark don't really fuel a remotely interesting conversation. Simple as that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Interesting to see so many positive comments on Wheeler. A lot of Jets fans seem to believe he is already going downhill (even though he just had a career year, is on a powerhouse team, and is in phenomenal shape) and will be crap in two years

Last edited:

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m just gonna say it, I wouldn’t be surprised if mcdavid is done in the NHL completely at 35, 36, 37, let alone a star.

Just get bad vibes.

Same here, in the sense that he's so light on his skates when he hits top speed and he relies on his incredible edgework to stop on a dime. One day some goon of a defenseman is going to trip him up going full speed around the dot and he'll go crashing into the boards.

His speed is a marvel of modern athleticism but it could really work against him if he isn't careful.

Reactions: CanuckCity

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Interesting to see so many positive comments on Wheeler. A lot of Jets fans seem to believe he is already going downhill (even though he just had s career year, is on a powerhouse team, and is in phenomenal shape) and will be crap in two years

I haven't heard much of that - I can't say how he'll be in a couple years, but he's definitely an amazing player right now.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
McDavid's speed will drastically drop off in his early thirties after a couple knee injuries. Without his strongest asset he will be mediocre at best by 35, and out of the league shortly after.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
McDavid's speed will drastically drop off in his early thirties after a couple knee injuries. Without his strongest asset he will be mediocre at best by 35, and out of the league shortly after.

He'll still have his IQ and passing skills. As he slows down physically, he'll get better at slowing the game down as well (or he should anyway).

Backstrom and Thornton are playmakers who aren't very fast. Henrik Sedin wasn't fast. Getzlaf isn't particularly fast.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They don't seem like the types who would still be good at an older age, but they're both 33 already so it would have to be a fairly quick downfall at this point
Burns was a late bloomer. I could see him staying elite for 2-3 years, and very good for a few more.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He'll still have his IQ and passing skills. As he slows down physically, he'll get better at slowing the game down as well (or he should anyway).

Backstrom and Thornton are playmakers who aren't very fast. Henrik Sedin wasn't fast. Getzlaf isn't particularly fast.
And he's a better goalscorer and better playmaker than all but one already. And I'd be surprised if he doesn't go down as a better playmaker than Thornton. That's how good he is.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Bad:
Tavares will definitely drop off quite a bit.
Pavelski.
Wheeler
Draisatl
Pretty much guys that are not good skaters when they slow down one step will cause huge drops in production

Good:
High end speed guys. Guys that will still skate well when they drop a spot
McKinnon
Hall
Mcdavid
Barzal

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Don’t get why some think Karlsson will be bad at 35. His game is all about hockey IQ.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Bad:
Tavares will definitely drop off quite a bit.
Pavelski.
Wheeler
Draisatl
Pretty much guys that are not good skaters when they slow down one step will cause huge drops in production

Good:
High end speed guys. Guys that will still skate well when they drop a spot
McKinnon
Hall
Mcdavid
Barzal

Wheeler isn't a good skater? You have no clue what you're talking about lmao.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
All the generational talents have shown a remarkable ability to change their style as they get older and maintain elite production. I'm more familiar with Lemieux and Crosby obviously, but they both played very different styles at 30 than at 22. Considering how high Mcdavid's hockey iq is, i expect he'll make the adjustment as well when he starts losing speed.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Johnny Gaudreau comes to mind. Just don't see him producing ten years from now, the game might wear him down eventually.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Brent Burns, Kane and Giroux are going to be good in their mid 30's/

ones that will be bad in their mid 30's are Bergeron, Toews, and Wheeler IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad