Which of NYI's young talented D men will hit the highest peak?

Which of NYI's young talented D men will hit the highest peak?

• Total voters

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't know about that. I think Pulock is really good. On pace for 40+ points last season, 37 the season before. Good defensively with really good advanced metrics on one of the best defensive teams in the league. I'd say he's at least a top 31 defenseman in the league. I think he's one of the more underrated defenseman around. Could Dobson equal that? Sure, but it's unlikely any player reaches their ceiling. Pulock has. I'll go with the player whose already reached their ceiling. I'm also a big fan of Dobson, but I think in this situation you have to go with the proven player. This may just be a case of I rate Pulock higher than you, but you watch the guy every game and I don't, so if you suggest I think Pulock is better than he is I'll defer to your expertise.

Pulock's offensive game hasn't materialized like many predicted considering the type of player he was in the WHL. He has got a ferocious slapshot that ranks NHL elite in terms of pure power and good offensive instincts, but he’s not a high end offensive player. What is shocking is how much his defensive game has developed from the defensive liability he was early in his career. I agree that he is very underrated, he has developed into a legit top pairing RHD (a hot commodity in the NHL) yet he tops out as a #2D IMO. While he is a very different player than he was projected to be, his current form is much more valuable because he is well rounded and can be deployed in all situations. Isles fans know how good he is, he just isn't a star that outside fans will take notice of because he isn't flashy nor publicized. His only knocks are his average skating and a bit of Fulton Reed inaccuracy on that bomb of a shot.

Pelech is so rock solid defensively, but quite limited offensively. He is very much like a young ME Vlasic, but bigger and rangier. Skates well and has a very active stick, his game has improved quite a bit from his younger days. He used to make some brutal decisions and was known for some terrible pinches (thanks Capuano), but it seems like he's hit his stride and figured out what he is under Trotz. He is criminally underrated because he doesn't put up points, but he is so good defensively for those that watch him consistently. He is what Griffin Reinbust was projected to be.

Dobson is the rising star of the group and has shocked many with his rapid development this season. He skates like Leddy and Devon Toews, smooth and efficient strides with strong 4-way mobility. He has already shown to have the best offensive skilllset and Trotz has given him #1PPQB duty already. Very good outlet passes and has shown he can transport the puck more as he has gained confidence. Smart and poised, he has all the skills be be a strong 3-zone player. He has shown an uncanny ability to go into board battles and come out with the puck. His biggest knock is that he is still lanky and thin, but that has become less of an issue this year and is throwing the body around a bit. He gets compared to Pietrangelo a lot for good reason, he has been a stand out pretty much every game besides his brutal 2nd game against the Rangers. There is star potential in him and he's been flashing the skills to be a future #1D. He's coming along nicely under Trotz, he'll likely start getting PK time next season as he continues to develop. If the definition of a #1D is someone who can eat 25+ minutes in all situations then Dobson is the only one of the Isles' d-men with the capability to truly get there.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Pelech and Pulock are both 94 birth years. Certainly not old but not young either by hockey standards

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I don't know about that. I think Pulock is really good. On pace for 40+ points last season, 37 the season before. Good defensively with really good advanced metrics on one of the best defensive teams in the league. I'd say he's at least a top 31 defenseman in the league. I think he's one of the more underrated defenseman around. Could Dobson equal that? Sure, but it's unlikely any player reaches their ceiling. Pulock has. I'll go with the player whose already reached their ceiling. I'm also a big fan of Dobson, but I think in this situation you have to go with the proven player. This may just be a case of I rate Pulock higher than you, but you watch the guy every game and I don't, so if you suggest I think Pulock is better than he is I'll defer to your expertise.

I hear ya, apologies if my post came off aggressive. I think as PW touched on Pulock offensive game really isn’t so great and I think that’s what really holds him back. Has a cannon no doubt, but the accuracy on the shot leaves much to be desired. Dobson doesn’t have the clap bomb that Pulock has but he has a nice release and seems to get pucks on net.

what puts him above Pulock potential wise to me is mostly the difference in skating however, Dobson seems to have a very crisp first pass as well

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hear ya, apologies if my post came off aggressive.

No need to. It didn't come off aggressive. I'm serious that I will defer to Islander fans like @PWJunior and yourself on this situation. One of the reason's to come to this website is to learn about the game. We can't all be an expert on every player on every team. I'm giving my opinion from what I watch, but you guys would the answer to this better than I would.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No need to. It didn't come off aggressive. I'm serious that I will defer to Islander fans like @PWJunior and yourself on this situation. One of the reason's to come to this website is to learn about the game. We can't all be an expert on every player on every team. I'm giving my opinion from what I watch, but you guys would the answer to this better than I would.
That's what we are here for. To learn from each other. I certainly respect your opinion when it comes to prospects, the time you put into it. It's a time consuming endeavour researching prospects. Some I recall agreeing with you. My take for whatever it's worth, I think Dobson has a higher ceiling than Pulock. The biggest difference to me between the 2 is hockey IQ or as Button coined it Ice Q. Dobson possesses higher Ice Q. His offensive instincts are better than Pulock. This year he has been arguably the Isles best D man, in the conversation of top 2. I don't think most Isles fans would disagree. He has taken steps fwd this year, reminding me of his draft year when he ascended the draft rankings. For me, he is not going to be coined as an offensive or defensive D man, he is all around. Will do all things well. I also notice a nice chemistry he has built with Barzal. Often looking for him. I can certainly see Dobson joining the rush and Barzal looking for him trailing the play. Pulock has the physical tools, Dobson is more cerebral. He sees the ice naturally. This is their basic difference to me, which makes me believe Dobson will surpass Pulock one day.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad