Which of NYI's young talented D men will hit the highest peak?

Which of NYI's young talented D men will hit the highest peak?

• Total voters

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
NYI has three very talented young Canadian dmen right now, but I am not sure which will be "the best". All have very different skill sets.

Which will have the highest peak?

Pulock - Dauphin, Manitoba - age 26 - big shot, offensive upside
Pelech - Toronto, Ontario - age 26 - premier shutdown defender
Dobson - Summerside, PEI - age 21 - elite offensive and defensive upside

2021 5v5:
2021-01-26_10h13_04.png

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I thought Pelech might get a little more support. There are very few guys who can defend as well as he can. I could see him making the Olympics team.

I don't think defensemen like him have that high of a "ceiling" though. I think to ever reach true #1D status, you have to be good at both ends of the rink. The other two have the capability to be both strong offensively and defensively. IMO, Pelech doesn't have the offensive upside to be good in the offensive zone.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
NYI has three very talented young Canadian dmen right now, but I am not sure which will be "the best". All have very different skill sets.

Which will have the highest peak?

Pulock - Dauphin, Manitoba - age 26 - big shot, offensive upside
Pelech - Toronto, Ontario - age 26 - premier shutdown defender
Dobson - Summerside, PEI - age 21 - elite offensive and defensive upside

2021 5v5:
View attachment 388421
I have to ask, didn't you post Dobson was most likely to bust from the 2018 draft. Why the sudden change of heart?

Who will bust from 2018 NHL Draft

Reactions: PWJunior

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
pulock for sure

He needs to use his shot a bit more this season, I loved watching it last year but I feel like he isn't shooting this year.

I am trying to remember when he was drafted, was there a lot of hype? I don't remember much about 2013 outside of the top guys. Thank God the Isles didn't pass on him for Zadarov, Colorado's D would be crazy.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He needs to use his shot a bit more this season, I loved watching it last year but I feel like he isn't shooting this year.

I am trying to remember when he was drafted, was there a lot of hype? I don't remember much about 2013 outside of the top guys. Thank God the Isles didn't pass on him for Zadarov, Colorado's D would be crazy.
i dont really remember. 2015 was the first draft where i really followed every prospect. (keep in mind i was born in 02 lol)

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Dobson has the most natural talent, but the least proven. Long run i could see him being an excellent 2 way smooth skating dedefenseman.

It doesnt hurt that hes being groomed by Trotz and Greene.

Pulock is the best all around right now, Pelech is the best shutdown defenseman, and Dobson has the potential to be the best.

Id take Dobson

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Dobson appears to be our second biggest offensive threat right now (on the team, not defense) and seems to have a ton of upside. Still gets bullied in the corners alittle bit but is improving every game. As OP said on pelech in terms of defensive ability he is truly towards the top of the league. I’d go

Dobson
Pelech
Pulock

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Dobson is the answer. He has the highest ceiling and is already getting minutes the others weren't getting at 21 y/o. Mind you, he looks really good, with the occasional lapse.

He's demonstrated the ability to carry the puck the length of the ice, QB the PP and hold the line 5 v 5 when we gain the O-Zone. I'd say he's mostly shined in the offensive area but has also looked good escaping the forecheck.

Whether or not he can weather the storm when we are under siege is TBD. He may never neutralize top talent the way Pulock and more so Pelech have done but he will provide the Isles with a weapon they haven't had in a long time.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Based on the location info I'm inclined to vote against the PEI guy but I also like him the best...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Dobson has a chance to equal Pulock, but Pulock is like a top 20-25 defensemen in the league right now. Thats a really high bar. Pelech is good, but it'd be a surprise if he ever became as good as Pulock is right now.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think Dobson has a chance to equal Pulock, but Pulock is like a top 20-25 defensemen in the league right now. Thats a really high bar. Pelech is good, but it'd be a surprise if he ever became as good as Pulock is right now.

disagree with your assessment of pulock and disagree that It would be surprising if Dobson every became that good. Pulock is really a #2 dman and I think Dobsons ceiling is closer to the elite #1 caliber guys based on his toolset. Time will tell

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
disagree with your assessment of pulock and disagree that It would be surprising if Dobson every became that good. Pulock is really a #2 dman and I think Dobsons ceiling is closer to the elite #1 caliber guys based on his toolset. Time will tell

Dobson could become Pelech+Pulock together, minus the shot. I still like Pelech the best but I have a soft spot for him (watched him in Erie and never imagined he would be a borderline #1D in the NHL).

Reactions: Strait2thecup

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't know about that. I think Pulock is really good. On pace for 40+ points last season, 37 the season before. Good defensively with really good advanced metrics on one of the best defensive teams in the league. I'd say he's at least a top 31 defenseman in the league. I think he's one of the more underrated defenseman around. Could Dobson equal that? Sure, but it's unlikely any player reaches their ceiling. Pulock has. I'll go with the player whose already reached their ceiling. I'm also a big fan of Dobson, but I think in this situation you have to go with the proven player. This may just be a case of I rate Pulock higher than you, but you watch the guy every game and I don't, so if you suggest I think Pulock is better than he is I'll defer to your expertise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad