Which month will Nylander sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

dd693cf988c457606b0e2609db4566b5.jpg

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I said November. I have no idea though. Not really missing him at the moment so I think the Leafs are happy to wait him out. If anything I would be worried about how his team mates will view him, especially if he holds out through a losing streak. He is coming off as not a team player demanding way more than he is worth.

However non Leaf fans licking their lips at the thought of the Leafs losing him are out to lunch as well. This ends one of three ways and either way the Leafs come out ahead.

1) They sign Nylander after a holdout to close to their offer right now. As he held out, his caphit is increased this year and then is lower than his actual AAV the remainder of his deal, meaning this HELPS the Leafs cap situation

2) He takes a bridge deal until after the Leafs have more cap space. This helps them retain all their players throughout next years cap crunch and if Willy plays well, it increases his trade value even more, and if he doesn't, they get a cheap winger on his next deal.

3) He gets traded ala Duchene at some point and the Leafs fill a big hole on the team with the return while not really missing his offense

Reactions: Hollywood North

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
November probably. I never thought the Leafs would be in a place where I wouldn’t really care if he sat out the year. Which I’m okay with Dubas taking a hard line and causing. You don’t set the precedent of being weak on your first big signing as a GM to a player who has zero leverage that’s asking for more money than he’s worth

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This would be a tremendous failure on the Leafs part if he sits out all season. You guys have a great team and a fantastic start - find a way to make this work NOW.

It shouldnt be this hard tbh

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I said November. I have no idea though. Not really missing him at the moment so I think the Leafs are happy to wait him out. If anything I would be worried about how his team mates will view him, especially if he holds out through a losing streak. He is coming off as not a team player demanding way more than he is worth.

However non Leaf fans licking their lips at the thought of the Leafs losing him are out to lunch as well. This ends one of three ways and either way the Leafs come out ahead.

1) They sign Nylander after a holdout to close to their offer right now. As he held out, his caphit is increased this year and then is lower than his actual AAV the remainder of his deal, meaning this HELPS the Leafs cap situation

2) He takes a bridge deal until after the Leafs have more cap space. This helps them retain all their players throughout next years cap crunch and if Willy plays well, it increases his trade value even more, and if he doesn't, they get a cheap winger on his next deal.

3) He gets traded ala Duchene at some point and the Leafs fill a big hole on the team with the return while not really missing his offense

It's as much the organization holding out on him than it is on Nylander. If they go on a losing streak it will put just as much pressure on the organization to make a move than it will on Nylander.

Reactions: Help

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If anything I would be worried about how his team mates will view him, especially if he holds out through a losing streak. He is coming off as not a team player demanding way more than he is worth.

I don't think so. Based on past experiences with other players - teammates seem to acknowledge it's a business first and you have to take care of yourself, and i can't imagine his teammates would resent him at all for it.

November probably. I never thought the Leafs would be in a place where I wouldn’t really care if he sat out the year. Which I’m okay with Dubas taking a hard line and causing. You don’t set the precedent of being weak on your first big signing as a GM to a player who has zero leverage that’s asking for more money than he’s worth

That would be a failure of epic proportions if they let him sit all year. Why? It's stupid, lose-lose situation.

RFAs very very rarely sit out anymore - and in fact Nylander is the highest profile player i recall doing so in a long time. I think management has to find a solution sooner rather than later, whatever it is.

Make nice with him and sign a deal - long term or short term. Or trade him.

Toronto has a fantastic roster and they should absolutely view themselves as cup contenders this year. You don't waste someone of Nylander's value away in such a situation. You either find a way to get him back on the ice to help you - or whatever player you trade him for can come in and help you in his stead

Its not that big a deal if this gets done this month or next month - but if this goes all year it would be an absolutely horrible failure.

Reactions: Boud

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
That would be a failure of epic proportions if they let him sit all year. Why? It's stupid, lose-lose situation.

RFAs very very rarely sit out anymore - and in fact Nylander is the highest profile player i recall doing so in a long time. I think management has to find a solution sooner rather than later, whatever it is.

Make nice with him and sign a deal - long term or short term. Or trade him.

Toronto has a fantastic roster and they should absolutely view themselves as cup contenders this year. You don't waste someone of Nylander's value away in such a situation. You either find a way to get him back on the ice to help you - or whatever player you trade him for can come in and help you in his stead

Its not that big a deal if this gets done this month or next month - but if this goes all year it would be an absolutely horrible failure.
Right now Nylander is "losing" these negotiations as the Leafs continue to win and score goals. They have found a replacement for Matthews on his wing so what does Nylander have to gold on? He's gone this far and I'm sure his agent/dad is advising him to wait until the Leafs start a losing/goalless streak before talking again.

I stand by my November prediction

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Right now Nylander is "losing" these negotiations as the Leafs continue to win and score goals. They have found a replacement for Matthews on his wing so what does Nylander have to gold on? He's gone this far and I'm sure his agent/dad is advising him to wait until the Leafs start a losing/goalless streak before talking again.

I stand by my November prediction

Oct/Nov doesn't matter.

But if he sits all season - trust me I don't expect the Leafs to win the cup this year. So when they inevitably fall short and lose either in round 1, 2 or whatever - I guarantee you there will be an angry mob of Leaf Fans pissed as hell at management for not getting Nylander back in time to help them go on a cup run. Because whatever team the Leafs put on the ice that loses in the playoffs - odds are adding a Nylander to that roster is a big enough deal to wonder if it could have made a difference.

So in the long term the Leafs have a lot more to lose imo.

I agree that in the short term it matters less, for either side. Just find a way to make it work before the season is wasted, or it'll get very ugly.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Oct/Nov doesn't matter.

But if he sits all season - trust me I don't expect the Leafs to win the cup this year. So when they inevitably fall short and lose either in round 1, 2 or whatever - I guarantee you there will be an angry mob of Leaf Fans pissed as hell at management for not getting Nylander back in time to help them go on a cup run. Because whatever team the Leafs put on the ice that loses in the playoffs - odds are adding a Nylander to that roster is a big enough deal to wonder if it could have made a difference.

I agree that in the short term it matters less, for either side. Just find a way to make it work before the season is wasted, or it'll get very ugly.
I think most Leafs fans realize that playing hardball with Nylander is a necessary evil. Have Nylander miss time until he signs a workable deal, or end up with a chance at losing Matthews/Marner because we overpaid our 4th forward.... I think Leafs fans know which is the preferred outcome.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think most Leafs fans realize that playing hardball with Nylander is a necessary evil. Have Nylander miss time until he signs a workable deal, or end up with a chance at losing Matthews/Marner because we overpaid our 4th forward.... I think Leafs fans know which is the preferred outcome.

I don't disagree in essence. And I know right now in October that's generally the feeling most Leaf fans seem to have.

But if you make it to the conference finals and lose in game 7 to Pittsburgh 2-0 because none of your offensive guys could find a way to beat Murray/Pens defense - trust me none of the Leafs fans will care about what you just said anymore. They'll just care about the fact that Toronto could have/should have been able to win the cup this year - but because of management's failure to strike a deal, they missed out on a serious chance at the cup.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Oct/Nov doesn't matter.

Nylander is not the missing piece that will push the Leafs into Cup Favourites category. Nylander has until Dec 1 to decide if he wants to play for the Leafs or not. After that date it's going to be hard to blame Nylander for what happens the rest of the season let alone the post season. If he continues to hold out on signing a contract and if the rumors are true that his ask is 8.5 mil, and decides to sit out a full year. Guess what, he still can't play in the NHL for any other team unless someone else comes in with an offersheet. That is literally the only Nylander has right now because the Leafs are still winning and scoring.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
There’s no winning when Nylander sits out an entire year. Windows of opportunity don’t last forever, and the Leafs are in a unique position where they’re finding success while still having Marner and Matthews on an ELC.

You have to take a shot this year. The window isn’t closed next year by any means, but it’s a good opportunity this year.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'm in the camp that wants to see him signed to a tradable bridge contract and moved for a D.

Kapanen can clearly produce on Matthews' wing and they have developed great chemistry, a full season on his wing and Kappy will pot 60 points easily, he also has the advantage of being a feistier player who isn't afraid to go in the corners and take hits, his playoff performances of late have been much more impressive than Nylander too. In short this team clearly doesn't need Willy to score goals or win games.

Yes I believe Nylander has more skill than Kapanen but unless we're going to wait for Liljegren-Sandin to join the D corps next season or the one after that I feel Nylander is the perfect carrot to dangle. Our offence will still feature Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Kapanen.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He will sign in October. Possibly an offer by another team? Who knows? But the Leafs will match. Either case, he will join the Leafs by the end of the month.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
A team should offersheet him at 8.1M. It would only cost a 1st 2nd and 3rd and leafs prolly wouldnt match.

Mar 26, 2010
Could be anyway now, with Dubas flying over to Europe to meet with Willy today.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
December, if they don't win the cup this year, he'll be dealt for a more cost effective D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad