Which month will Nylander sign?

Which month will Nylander sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
If I was him, I wouldn’t sign more than a one year deal and I’d be an absolute nightmare in the locker room. Kid deserves the big bucks and Toronto can’t afford him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Can't see how this doesn't end in a trade. The relationship has just gotten plain ugly. Nylander and the Leafs clearly have nothing but ill will towards each other, and it's best for both parties to move on.
Are we making baseless speculations now?

K. Ottawa won't have a team in 5 years.

That's my baseless speculation.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
How is it a position of weakness?

Exactly. I laugh when people bring this up. The Leafs either sign Nylander to a price they're comfortable with or he'll sit out indefinitely until an attractive offer inevitably comes their way. Salary Cap or No Salary Cap, you're not gonna strongarm the Leafs when it comes to money.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Can't see how this doesn't end in a trade. The relationship has just gotten plain ugly. Nylander and the Leafs clearly have nothing but ill will towards each other, and it's best for both parties to move on.

Eh, Leafs made the mistake of turning this into a public affair, teams know that the Leafs won't be dealing from a position of strength when looking for a trade partner.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: This is gonna get em all riled up

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If he sits out a full year his UFA eligibility gets pushed back a year too, right?

It makes almost no sense for Nylander to sit out a full year unless the Leafs are seriously low-balling him like $5M or something. They're realistically probably more like $1M apart (given that both sides would be willing to move a bit).

Giving up $6M by sitting out to get an extra $1M per on a six year deal would be a wash. And then he'd lose a year of development, a year of marketing his name, a year of doing what he loves to do, and a year of UFA.

So it's super unrealistic to think he'd sit out the whole year. While the Leafs would hate to lose out on his services if he sits, they also would gain something (making sure they keep their cap under control). Nylander on the other hand gains absolutely nothing by sitting. So he's definitely going to sign.

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Also his value is hurt by the fact that it seems he is not willing to sign a fair contract.

Yeah, it's gotta be hurting him a bit. Nobody really knows anything, but if the reports are true, he needs to smarten the hell up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad