Which listed streak is the most impressive in NHL history?

Which listed streak is the most impressive in NHL history?

• I'm a hater. Senators’ 38-Game Road Losing Streak

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Many of the streaks on the list are seemingly insurmountable but I chose the Islanders winning 19 consecutive playoff series because I find they tend to be overlooked a lot.

Once you add in that they beat the upcoming Oilers dynasty with the greatest player ever and were only finally defeated by age, wear and tear, and that Oilers dynasty coming into their own, it is even more impressive.

They ran with most of the same players for that streak too, it wasn’t like they were reloading each year from free agency or whatever.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted Glenn Hall. It stands too tall. The game was different back then vs today, where today a goalie would never play all 82 games, let alone for years in a row, but still...

As for Gretzky's 51 point streak - super impressive, but to me the most impressive part of it isn't the 51 games, but it's the 153 points...

As for Islanders 19 playoff series win streak....very impressive, but I can't vote for that considering how close other teams have come to it. Not only that - but Oilers just a few years later came quite close to topping it...true they lost in just round 2 in 1986, but they were the favorites and flip a coin and play this matchup again, and good chance they'd win the cup in 1986 too and have 5 straight cups, or at least 20 series wins in a row. And of course - Habs won 17 straight themselves. So 19 is incredible, but I think it can be topped.

8 Norris for Orr....is amazing of course. But I think 8 Harts from Gretzky is even better, and probably should be on list.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I voted Glenn Hall. It stands too tall. The game was different back then vs today, where today a goalie would never play all 82 games, let alone for years in a row, but still...

As for Gretzky's 51 point streak - super impressive, but to me the most impressive part of it isn't the 51 games, but it's the 153 points...

As for Islanders 19 playoff series win streak....very impressive, but I can't vote for that considering how close other teams have come to it. Not only that - but Oilers just a few years later came quite close to topping it...true they lost in just round 2 in 1986, but they were the favorites and flip a coin and play this matchup again, and good chance they'd win the cup in 1986 too and have 5 straight cups, or at least 20 series wins in a row. And of course - Habs won 17 straight themselves. So 19 is incredible, but I think it can be topped.

8 Norris for Orr....is amazing of course. But I think 8 Harts from Gretzky is even better, and probably should be on list.

speaking of Gretzky streaks I feel like his 13 consecutive times leading the league in assists should be on here

nobody else has done that more than 3 times period other than Orr who did it 5 let alone consecutively

rogking65

May 13, 2016
I first voted Orr, but changed to Hall, once I realized his streak is almost twice as long as the next guy.

But the "without a mask" part is just unnecessary extra fluff for casuals IMO, because the entire top 5 on that list played without a mask. I can't find a longer list than that, but I'd be interested what the record is for a goalie with a mask. Probably less than 100, and considering how goalies are deployed these days, effectively an unbeatable record too.
methinks a slapshot to the face hurts more without a mask than with one

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Some interesting options there but I went with the Islanders 19 straight playoff series wins.
I get that there were less upsets back then vs. now (I think...), but that consistency is remarkable.

Reactions: banks

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Glen Hall's record is incredible. But it's less impressive with context. The season was 70 games long at the time, and it wasn't uncommon for a goalie to play every game. It's still incredible that he did it 7 years running, don't get me wrong. Top 3 or so on this list. But other goalies played 70 in the late 50s, with Jim Henry playing 3 straight seasons.

It wasn't such a big deal at the time. It just sounds more impressive in today's context, when no goalie can play 70+ games.

I voted the Islanders' playoff series wins.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
For more Glen Hall context, he set his record by playing 7 straight seasons of 70 games, plus a bit at the start/end of the seasons around those. The NHL season was only 70 games at the time. An impressive streak.

Marty Brodeur, for a 10 year stretch between 97 and 08, played over 70 games each season. He averaged 73 in that span. He played more games per year for 3 years longer. His games just aren't consecutive, and aren't always starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad