TV: Which listed show is the best Star Trek series?

Which listed show is the best Star Trek series?

• Voyager

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Enterprise

• Discovery

• Picard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I can't really vote, as I've only seen all of TOS, the cartoon, and the movies.

I've only seen TOS forwards and backwards. TOS will always have a soft spot for me, the cheese, the Shatnerisms, Kirk was a slut, and some of those female crewmembers were incredibly beautiful.

I remember liking TNG back in the day, but when I've tried to go back and watch starting with season 1, I forgot how bad some of those episodes were, Yeah, TOS wasn't great either, very uneven in quality, but TNG was rough going out of the gate.

But I also like 'The Way to Eden' and 'Sub Rosa', and those are both terrible, but a different kind of terrible to me, compared to 'Code of Honor' or 'Turnabout Intruder'. The former are so campy, the latter so racist or misogynistic.

I felt that DS9 probably had the strongest acting, for what I remember/seen, but never really warmed up any series past that. I have watched critiques of Discovery and Picard on YT, and it just seems like they don't get the Trek world (not that Roddenberry was great either, as he needed plenty of reeling in).

I feel that I would likely like Lower Decks, as I really like adult focused cartoons, but honestly most references would probably whoosh over my head.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The success of DS9 (along with the show it ripped off, Babylon 5) is partly what convinced executives that shows could move away from syndicated in-any-order format and more toward Myth arcs. TNG is great, DS9 is what eventually led to Breaking Bad/Sopranos/The Wire.

In that context it's such a shame that Voyager- built with a premise suited for a Myth arc far more than DS9 ever was- whiplashed back to monster-of-the-week stories, where the starship looks brand spankin' new every episode.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
The success of DS9 (along with the show it ripped off, Babylon 5) is partly what convinced executives that shows could move away from syndicated in-any-order format and more toward Myth arcs. TNG is great, DS9 is what eventually led to Breaking Bad/Sopranos/The Wire.

In that context it's such a shame that Voyager- built with a premise suited for a Myth arc far more than DS9 ever was- whiplashed back to monster-of-the-week stories, where the starship looks brand spankin' new every episode.

That's a good point about story arcs, I tried watching TNG completely a few years ago but I eventually got bored with the mostly self-contained episodes. In fact, I was frustrated at quite a few plot threads that were only in the one episode. Examples that immediately come to mind is Geordi being turned into a sleeper agent for the Romulans(and then it never being brought up again), and the Klingon civil war only being a couple episodes. Riker is also completely wasted after Best of Both Worlds is concluded. I still love seeing a classic TNG episode every now and then though.

Voyager is such wasted potential, very frustrating that the writing and production decided to play it so safe and just keep hammering that reset button all the time. (And speaking of first officers again, Chakotay is completely wasted...)

This is why while I have thought the first couple seasons of The Mandalorian have been good, I'm starting to get bored with it(I hope starting forward they're going to work towards the restoration of Mandalore or something). And that's a show with much shorter seasons compared to syndicated TV.

The only problem with story arcs I see sometimes is that writers are too obsessed with setting up mysteries/threats and it has to lead to an epic conclusion all the time...

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I lost interest in the Trek universe during Voyager. Just felt so samey-same. Never got into Enterprise. Watched one episode of Discovery and that was it for me. Saw the first season of Picard; good for nostalgia but tailed off really badly towards the end.

Yeah, Voyager is the first series that I lost interest in, too. I checked out during Season 2, around the time of the lizard sex episode. I did continue to watch and enjoy DS9 until it ended, though. It's hard to believe that I spent 3 years watching DS9 every week while ignoring Voyager, but I must've. I've still not seen the "good parts of Voyager" that people talk about. I watched the first episode of Enterprise, but didn't like it and didn't continue with it. Ironically, I've watched all of Discovery and Picard except for the current season of Discovery, but it's been hate-watching. Maybe, if I miss Trek that much, I should just re-watch the first three series or even just finish the next two.
Oddly enough, there's no poll option for Lower Decks, which managed to become actually watchable towards the end of the second season.

There's also no poll option for the other animated series, Star Trek: The Animated Series, from the 70s. I enjoyed that when I finally watched it last year. I think that anyone who likes TOS should check it out. If I recall, they wanted it to essentially be the 4th season of TOS that they didn't get to make, so it's closer to an animated TOS than it is to a cartoon.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Yeah, I remember watching the first episode of Voyager and expressing my excitement about it online (alt.startrek usenet group, if anyone else remembers it), but I slowly lost interest and checked out at the lizard sex episode in Season 2. I've never seen the later "good parts of Voyager" that people talk about. I watched the first episode of Enterprise, but really didn't like it, especially the shower sex scene. Strangely, I've watched all of Discovery and Picard except for the current season of Discovery, but it's been hate-watching. If I miss Trek that much, maybe I should just re-watch the first three series or even just finish the next two.

There's also no poll option for the other animated series, Star Trek: The Animated Series. I enjoyed that. Anyone who likes TOS should check it out. It's closer to an animated version of TOS than it is to a cartoon.

Yesteryear
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0827628/?ref_=ttep_ep2

That is a outstanding episode one of the best episodes of all of the franchise so people should at the very least watch that episode from Star Trek: The Animated Series

Reactions: Osprey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's clearly Discovery. The writing is absolutely fantastic. Top notch acting as well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's clearly Discovery. The writing is absolutely fantastic. Top notch acting as well.

4k.gif

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
DS9 for me as already mentioned, the tone, character development, and serialized arcs make it (IMO) the only series that can stand against modern shows while still being "Trek." Fully remastered it could air today and stand on its own two feet (A couple of season 1-2 episodes aside).

I grew up with Voyager, but no desire to do a full re-watch. There's episodes that are solid as standalone's, but the missed potential in not letting Moore make a Trek universe Battlestar Galactica is just too much to overcome for me.

Heretical Opinion- Enterprise is my #2. I thought they did a phenomenal job with sets and tech- looked reasonable believable as more advanced than what had been developed real world since TNG came out, while still "fitting" in universe. I liked the pre-federation political machinations and overall plots. I also like Faith of the Heart (pre sped up version). That opening sequence perfectly captured the spirit of the show (and trek in general) and I hate that whiny neurotic fanboys killed the show before it got 7 seasons.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
DS9 for me as already mentioned, the tone, character development, and serialized arcs make it (IMO) the only series that can stand against modern shows while still being "Trek." Fully remastered it could air today and stand on its own two feet (A couple of season 1-2 episodes aside).

I grew up with Voyager, but no desire to do a full re-watch. There's episodes that are solid as standalone's, but the missed potential in not letting Moore make a Trek universe Battlestar Galactica is just too much to overcome for me.

Heretical Opinion- Enterprise is my #2. I thought they did a phenomenal job with sets and tech- looked reasonable believable as more advanced than what had been developed real world since TNG came out, while still "fitting" in universe. I liked the pre-federation political machinations and overall plots. I also like Faith of the Heart (pre sped up version). That opening sequence perfectly captured the spirit of the show (and trek in general) and I hate that whiny neurotic fanboys killed the show before it got 7 seasons.
Indeed. I liked that show. Took a while to get going, as all Trek shows, but then it was solid.

Reactions: 4thline

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's funny somebody mentioned how DS9 was kind of a Babylon 5 ripoff when I remember watching both series at the same time. I think it was DS9 that came on after SNL, then Babylon 5 afterwards. I was probably like 11 or 12 at the time and I wasn't supposed to be up that late, but I'd always watch it with headphones plugged in so nobody could hear me (as if they couldn't see the light from the TV under my door :laugh:).

DS9 is my favorite Trek, but it's closely followed by TNG. The thing I like about TNG is you can kind of just watch an episode or two and then drop it because of the more episodic nature, whereas with DS9 I always feel like I need to start at the beginning of a season and watch it all the way through.

I still prefer Babylon 5 over any Trek series though.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Apparently I'm going to get roasted as my opinion certainly doesn't jive with the thread feel.

1. Deep Space 9
2. Next Generation
3a. Picard
3b. Enterprise
3c. Discovery
6. Voyager
7. Original Series

Amazing how many of these struggle of the hop. 1st seasons of TNG, Enterprise, Discovery, Voyager were all terrible, even DS9 after a strong pilot took awhile to find it's footing. TNG in particular as the first season is the worst season of Star Trek. Discovery has really bounced back from a horrendous 1st season, 2nd was an improvement but I think it really started to find it's footing in seasons 3 and now 4. I see it very similarly to Enterprise. Enterprise really hit it's stride in the 3rd and 4th seasons, I loved the Xindi arc (other than a couple bad bad episodes like turning into Mayan aliens planet) then the 4th really was strong with several mini-arcs that were pretty great. Voyager does nothing for me, other than Robert Picard's Doctor character there is not one character I liked or respected even really. Had a couple cool episodes here and there (mostly Borg/Time Travel ones, iirc) but overall just not much there, mostly just two space lizards getting it on. TNG had it's moments, but for every WOLF 359 there's a Barkley spider. Picard I think is getting a bit of a bad rap. I thought it was fairly well done for the most part. Considering how bad Star Trek is season 1 in most things, it could be just around the horizon to really shoot up. DS9 gets the win for it's later seasons and the fact that it actually sits with it's characters and explores consequences. It's Star Trek so every once and while you have cross dressing Ferengi, but overall far less misses there. Original Series sucks. Just plain bad. My favourite part of the TOS is the lizard fight because that scene would not be out of place in Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's funny somebody mentioned how DS9 was kind of a Babylon 5 ripoff when I remember watching both series at the same time.

What I believe happened is that the creator of Babylon 5 went to Paramount with his ideas for the show and Paramount chose not to make it, but turned around and made a Star Trek show with the same concept. DS9 ended up premiering first, but it seems like Paramount may've ripped off the idea for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad