Which league is the Nr. 6 or 5 in the World?

Which league is the strongest in the list?

• Total voters

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So much Americans here! Therefore i put this league in. ;)
I figured, I just know there are some on here that genuinely believe it's that good. It's still a league where you can grab players from random leagues and they become top players on a MLS club. Johnny Russell was a English Championship level player and Gadi Kinda played in Israel and they are some of Sporting KC's best players.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You will find many similar kind of stories if you start to discuss the leagues that were included last time like Belgium, Turkey etc.

Just a random one in Sørloth. Not that he is a bad player and the way he was treated in England was laughable, but would he just move to the MLS and be the best forward there? Not so sure. Probably not.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
1. La Liga
2. EPL
3. BuLi
4. Ligue 1
5. Eredivisie
6. Liga NOS
7. Serie A

Hope you are joking about Serie A, it is a very good league. Also, EPL > La Liga probably but maybe not this season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hope you are joking about Serie A, it is a very good league. Also, EPL > La Liga probably but maybe not this season.
My friend, this is no joke. Serie A is a kiddy league which has broken my aspirations about it on multiple occasions. Their results in Europa competitions have been pathetic except one team and that's Atalanta. Also EPL is more entertaining, but in terms of overall quality it most definitely doesn't come close to La Liga. La Liga has some of the most underrated players and teams in all of Europe, I now prefer their mid-table much more over anybody else.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Right Serie A is too low. But i think La Liga is since 1,5 decade better than PL.

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
My friend, this is no joke. Serie A is a kiddy league which has broken my aspirations about it on multiple occasions. Their results in Europa competitions have been pathetic except one team and that's Atalanta. Also EPL is more entertaining, but in terms of overall quality it most definitely doesn't come close to La Liga. La Liga has some of the most underrated players and teams in all of Europe, I now prefer their mid-table much more over anybody else.
Sorry in 5 Year Ranking the Serie A is 4th. This Ranking is a good benchmark. La Liga is in last 1,5 decades better than PL. The PL is overhyped!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Okay my overall Ranking!
1. La Liga
2 .PL
3. Bundesliga
4. Serie A
5. Lique 1
6. Campeonato Brasileiro
7. Superliga(ARG)
8. Eredivisie
9. Liga NOS
10. Premjer Liga(RUS)

For me very tight: 5-7. The scale is the strength of hole league.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Mid table clubs in the Serie A are about on par with the lower and mid table clubs of the La Liga and Bundesliga I would say, but the Premier League clubs have a clear advantage in quality here. Inter and Juve have many elite players and are equipped to make european runs, Inter were very unlucky in a tough group the UCL this year but would go further in almost any other scenario. Besides the two best teams at the moment, Lazio, Napoli, Atalanta and Roma all have good squads, clearly better than any Ligue 1 side not named PSG, I can't see how you put them over Serie A, and this goes without mentioning the Eredevise and Liga Nos.

When I watch the Serie A, I don't see a real noticeable difference in quality compared to the Bundesliga or Ligue 1.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Serie A is criminally underrated here. By the usual suspects. No point in even arguing with them its obvious they should rank higher and Im not particularly fond of the italian league anyway.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Okay my overall Ranking!
1. La Liga
2 .PL
3. Bundesliga
4. Serie A
5. Lique 1
6. Campeonato Brasileiro
7. Superliga(ARG)
8. Eredivisie
9. Liga NOS
10. Premjer Liga(RUS)

For me very tight: 5-7. The scale is the strength of hole league.
Thanks for putting this together. I have the Turkish League at 6 although if I was able to view Brazil or Russia like we could years ago...it may be tight. Portugal and The Netherlands are very shallow leagues..

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I only really watch European football, except maybe the Superclasico, a Libertadores match or the occasional MLS game when that's on and I really, really don't have anything else to do. So it's hard to judge how strong these leagues are compared to Europe. I think MLS quality is pretty lousy and football in Brazil and Argentina is pretty slow and sloppy from what I've seen. Mexican league I have no idea.

I think I would put Russia 6th in terms of overall quality and depth. That's a solid league up and down.
Portugal might be 7th but really, it's just Porto and Benfica, and maybe Sporting but the bottom half of their league is horrible.
I think I would put Belgium at 7 or 8 because our league has very good depth and has developed very well in the previous decennium

I see plenty of you having the Eredivisie as the 'best of the rest' European league, I don't get it, how much Eredivisie do you actually watch? Ajax are very good, and occasionally AZ or PSV have a good season or two, but that league is just full of garbage teams and defensively it's so hilariously bad. Honestly I think the Eredivisie is just a lesser version of the Portuguese Liga.
I'd still have them at 9 probably, ahead of maybe Turkey (although Turkish teams are incredibly overrated as well), Ukraine,.. etc EDIT: well maybe not Ukraine because since the start of the war and the (financial) collapse of teams like Metalist and Dnipro, their league hasn't been the same

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I only really watch European football, except maybe the Superclasico, a Libertadores match or the occasional MLS game when that's on and I really, really don't have anything else to do. So it's hard to judge how strong these leagues are compared to Europe. I think MLS quality is pretty lousy and football in Brazil and Argentina is pretty slow and sloppy from what I've seen. Mexican league I have no idea.

I think I would put Russia 6th in terms of overall quality and depth. That's a solid league up and down.
Portugal might be 7th but really, it's just Porto and Benfica, and maybe Sporting but the bottom half of their league is horrible.
I think I would put Belgium at 7 or 8 because our league has very good depth and has developed very well in the previous decennium

I see plenty of you having the Eredivisie as the 'best of the rest' European league, I don't get it, how much Eredivisie do you actually watch? Ajax are very good, and occasionally AZ or PSV have a good season or two, but that league is just full of garbage teams and defensively it's so hilariously bad. Honestly I think the Eredivisie is just a lesser version of the Portuguese Liga.
I'd still have them at 9 probably, ahead of maybe Turkey (although Turkish teams are incredibly overrated as well), Ukraine,.. etc EDIT: well maybe not Ukraine because since the start of the war and the (financial) collapse of teams like Metalist and Dnipro, their league hasn't been the same
I don t think so that the russian League is stronger than Brazil or Argentina. The rest is a subject of debate of course. For me are the leagues NED, POR, RUS, BEL and TUR very tight together. NED and POR have better Top-Teams. Russia has a more balanced league. Belgium is very difficult to asseses. Too much fluctuation. Sometimes the league is stronger than NED or POR and sometimes is this League not better than Austria or SUI. The turkish Süperlig is very overrated. A big country with passionate Football-Fans and some financially strong clubs(specially in Istanbul).Despite this avantages, this league never made it in top 6 or 7 in UEFA 5 Year Ranking(The international success is lacking). The dark horse is the ukrainien league. The top teams could be easily copmete with Top-Tier in NED,POR or Russia.But the rest???

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I don t think so that the russian League is stronger than Brazil or Argentina.

Like I said, I really have no idea, so that's why I'm sticking to European leagues only. But yeah I imagine both Brazil and Argentina have enough quality to compete with the likes of Russia, Portugal etc

The rest is a subject of debate of course. For me are the leagues NED, POR, RUS, BEL and TUR very tight together. NED and POR have better Top-Teams. Russia has a more balanced league. Belgium is very difficult to asseses. Too much fluctuation. Sometimes the league is stronger than NED or POR and sometimes is this League not better than Austria or SUI. The turkish Süperlig is very overrated. A big country with passionate Football-Fans and some financially strong clubs(specially in Istanbul).Despite this avantages, this league never made it in top 6 or 7 in UEFA 5 Year Ranking(The international success is lacking). The dark horse is the ukrainien league. The top teams could be easily copmete with Top-Tier in NED,POR or Russia.But the rest???

Belgium not being better than Austria or Switzerland.. show me when that has happened? Those countries have Salzburg and Basel always doing well in Europe, but they have (and probably never will) the depth of the Belgian League.
The problem with Turkey is their teams are usually pretty old and full of overpaid has-beens.
Ukraine really only has Shakhtar as a competitive CL/EL team. Even Dynamo Kiev isn't what they're used to be. They struggle to reach the CL group stage nowadays, they couldn't even get out of their EL group this season. A group with teams from Switzerland, Sweden and Denmark. It's amazing Shakhtar is still this good after all they have suffered through these past few years as well.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Like I said, I really have no idea, so that's why I'm sticking to European leagues only. But yeah I imagine both Brazil and Argentina have enough quality to compete with the likes of Russia, Portugal etc

Belgium not being better than Austria or Switzerland.. show me when that has happened? Those countries have Salzburg and Basel always doing well in Europe, but they have (and probably never will) the depth of the Belgian League.
The problem with Turkey is their teams are usually pretty old and full of overpaid has-beens.
Ukraine really only has Shakhtar as a competitive CL/EL team. Even Dynamo Kiev isn't what they're used to be. They struggle to reach the CL group stage nowadays, they couldn't even get out of their EL group this season. A group with teams from Switzerland, Sweden and Denmark. It's amazing Shakhtar is still this good after all they have suffered through these past few years as well.
In the season 16/17 the belgian league wasn t better than AUT an SUI and this season not much better. AUT and SUI are very underestimated leagues. But their top teams are to be able to beat all top-Tier Teams from NED(Looking LASK vs AZ), POR, TUR, UKR, RUS .

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
In the season 16/17 the belgian league wasn t better than AUT an SUI and this season not much better. AUT and SUI are very underestimated leagues. But their top teams are to be able to beat all top-Tier Teams from NED(Looking LASK vs AZ), POR, TUR, UKR, RUS .

Austria might have a better season in Europe once or twice but that doesn't automatically make them a better league. For years now I think Salzburg are the only team who would be competitive in the Belgian league title race. And you're right, LASK are doing very well this year, but Club Brugge knocked them out in the CL qualifying rounds, so.. Them beating AZ and PSV only further proves my point that the Eredivisie isn't very good ;)

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Austria might have a better season in Europe once or twice but that doesn't automatically make them a better league. For years now I think Salzburg are the only team who would be competitive in the Belgian league title race. And you're right, LASK are doing very well this year, but Club Brugge knocked them out in the CL qualifying rounds, so.. Them beating AZ and PSV only further proves my point that the Eredivisie isn't very good ;)

I also exaggerated a bit. I just wanted to show the volatility of the Belgian league.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

MLS isn’t as bad as you make it seem. Yes it’s not great but it’s definitely gotten better in the last 5ish years.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
MLS isn’t as bad as you make it seem. Yes it’s not great but it’s definitely gotten better in the last 5ish years.

Agreed! I think it really started to show it's improvements around 2013ish. Even at the closing of the 10s the game was filled with just throwing ball into the box and then heading it back and forth - ping pong ball really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad