Which Leaf are you most excited to see next season?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You do what any fan would, hope they win.

You seem to be mixing or combining thoughts here.

Excited to see certain players play and the team winning are not synonymous guaranteed items.

What we do know is the team loses regularly with Kessel and Phaneuf playing because we have evidence of this.

By cheering and excited for the young players to make an impact has the potential to move a team forward by winning more. So its always more exciting to see new players play because the results are less certain.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
So they are excited to see "those young Leaf drafted players" lose every night?

As opposed to our old and declining players lose every night?
or our players heading into their primes, lose every night?
So we can finish in 10th place and draft 10th or 11th overall?

Given the choices, yeah I'd rather have our younger kids loosing.

I'd rather see our kids make mistakes and improve throughout the course of a season, than to see the team as a whole have their bad hockey catch up to them and just collapse with two months left.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You seem to be mixing or combining thoughts here.

Excited to see certain players play and the team winning are not synonymous guaranteed items.

What we do know is the team loses regularly with Kessel and Phaneuf playing because we have evidence of this.

By cheering and excited for the young players to make an impact has the potential to move a team forward by winning more. So its always more exciting to see new players play because the results are less certain.

There is no mixing thoughts here.

I'm looking forward to watching them win, while you're looking forward to watching them lose.

It's pretty straightforward.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not including any of our incumbent players, I am actually most intrigued by the acquisition of Kontiola.

He could turn out to be a bust or the steal of the UFA market.

J1S

May 12, 2014
1. Bernier - curious to see how he rebounds from injury and whether or not he can establish himself as a bonafide starter.

2. Reilly - would like to see improvement in some aspects of his game, especially defensive zone coverage, a steadier partner should help with this.

3. Gardiner - great end to the year, hope it carries over.

4. Kadri - hoping he can find his game on a more consistent basis, perhaps new blood on his right side will help that.

5. Polak - interested to see what he can bring to our stagnant back end, but foot speed and size is something we most definitely needed to bring in, so he could be a solid piece if he brings what he did for the blues.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007

I'm looking forward to watching them win, while you're looking forward to watching them lose.

I think you misunderstand Mess.
He would rather the Leafs lose now, so we they can have a higher chance to win later.
You would rather them win now, but they'll have a higher chance to lose later.

We've been doing the latter for a while now.
I'd try for a chance at the former.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Not including any of our incumbent players, I am actually most intrigued by the acquisition of Kontiola.

He could turn out to be a bust or the steal of the UFA market.

He could for sure be a steal.
Not sure if he could be a bust at $1 million.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He would rather the Leafs lose now, so we they can have a higher chance to win later.

Any idea when we would should start cheering for them to win?

This being a fan of a team I want to lose just seems so counter intuitive.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

It takes a lot of luck to win the Cup so I hope the Leafs strive for and achieve top 1/3rd of the league year after year because realistically any of the top 1/3rd have a good shot at winning with some luck. But you know what they say: "you gotta be good to be lucky and you gotta be lucky to be good".

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

You keep cheering the team to win and I'll keep looking forward to seeing Rielly, Nylander and Kadri the fruits of your cheering in action.

So keep up the good work, because whatever you're doing its working for me. "Play the kids" !!! ;)

However do you ever get discouraged and disappointed when they don't win despite you looking forward to it each season?.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007

Whenever you want really.

I want them to win when I think they have enough pieces. I think they are missing a few key ones.
In the last 25 years, I don't remember a team winning a cup where their best forward is a Kessel-type player and our best defensemen is a Phaneuf-type player.

In the end, I don't want the Leafs to lose. I would take a guaranteed Stanley Cup over getting McDavid any day. But if they have to lose in order to win later, I'm very for it. It's not like wanting them to win has gotten anything done in the last 10 years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You keep cheering the team to win and I'll keep looking forward to seeing Rielly, Nylander and Kadri the fruits of your cheering in action.

So keep up the good work, because whatever you're doing its working for me. "Play the kids" !!! ;)

However do you ever get discouraged and disappointed when they don't win despite you looking forward to it each season?.

Of course I'm disappointed when they lose as I'm sure you are when they win.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Winning is the responsibility of the management on how they assemble and coach the team as accountability for actual results lie with them.

Fans can't influence the outcome of the games regardless if they cheer for, against or don't even watch the games at all. So cheer for any players you like, or against any you don't like as to whatever makes one happy.

What does seem contradictory is supporting only winning, yet fulling embracing the Kadri, Rielly and Nylander the fruits awarded to the Leafs for losing.

Only the fans that were looking forward to the early draft picks of a draft rebuild should be allowed to enjoy them because they got what they wanted. To me it doesn't seem counter intuitive to want better players as that increases the odds of winning in the future if it comes at the expense of the team in the present.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
I love how this thread is which LEAF player are you excited to see. Not half the damn team.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
Rielly is easily the most exciting NHL player we have not named Kessel. And that he still has developing to do, I'm interested to see what kind of impact he will have on the team. Can he play big minutes with the captain? Can he have a bigger impact on the pp? Is he going to be our minute munching, puck possession defender? I honestly see him as a jack off all, and not the puck rushing, no defense type some are pegging him as.

To a lesser degree, I'm looking forward to Kadri and Holland playing bigger roles with the team. Kadri needs to take another step in his development, and become more reliable in all three zones.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
What does seem contradictory is supporting only winning, yet fulling embracing the Kadri, Rielly and Nylander the fruits awarded to the Leafs for losing.

Only the fans that were looking forward to the early draft picks of a draft rebuild should be allowed to enjoy them because they got what they wanted. To me it doesn't seem counter intuitive to want better players as that increases the odds of winning in the future if it comes at the expense of the team in he present.

Does this mean the fans that embrace losing should take a hike when the Leafs become successful?

Nah... that sounds about as completely insane and backwards as your idea.

Last edited:

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
Winning is the responsibility of the management on how they assemble and coach the team as accountability for actual results lie with them.

Fans can't influence the outcome of the games regardless if they cheer for, against or don't even watch the games at all. So cheer for any players you like, or against any you don't like as to whatever makes one happy.

Only the fans that were looking forward to the early draft picks of a draft rebuild should be allowed to enjoy them because they got what they wanted. To me it doesn't seem counter intuitive to want better players as that increases the odds of winning in the future if it comes at the expense of the team in the present.

Kadri, Rielly and Nylander are the good that comes from a bad result. Cheering for the bad result in the first place is ass backwards, if you ask me. As in this coming season, I don't want to lose, and I hope we win as often as we can. But at least the one thing we can hang our hats on, if the season does go sideways, is the fact we'll be getting a high pick in a very good draft.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
1) Rielly. A lot of highly drafted prospects take large leaps forward in their 2nd or 3rd season. It's not out of the question that he becomes a legit top pairing guy this season (not saying it's likely, just possible)

2) Bernier. Is he the real deal? A lot of young goalies tease you with a solid season, only to fall back down to earth and never really repeat.

3) Granberg. Probably the most interesting NHL ready prospect in my mind, assuming Nylander is a year or more away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad