Line Combos: Which Kings Lineup is Better?

Which lineup is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Here’s something some Kings fans can’t seem to accept.

Sort of a dumb take by him. Better offensively? maybe. Defensively? probably not. What if PLD has a Huberdeau season and GV takes another step? Does the team get closer to getting past the 1st round? Id say the odds are probably the about same as the roster stands today. All that said, now that the dust has settled - there is a benefit to PLD I didnt consider yesterday.. when it comes to negotiating Kopi's next deal, Blake (if he still around) wont be over a barrel to make a deal / overpay.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think it's a safe assumption that won't be the goalie rotation come opening night, but yes, that is a big question mark that I'm certain will be addressed soon based off of Rob Blake's presser.

i agree, that's why i'm wary.

We could be taking a significant hit to F or D depth to address G, think Moore/Arvidsson or Roy in addition to what's already gone.

As much as people bemoan their salaries, moving 120 points off the roster would be felt, even if PLD performs and the kids show up.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
You have to factor in also that Kopitar, Doughty, Danault, Arvidsson are all also a year older.
Fewer goals, worse penalty kill, loss of the leadership Iafallo was always touted for having, worse board play, less cap space, have to trade another roster player for a goalie, yeah, much "better".

Depends on if Kopitar loses a step (no sign of that happening yet), but that new top 9 looks crazy good.
Kopitar was dominated by Edmonton in the playoffs. We have never seen Anze schooled like that, so yeah, there is good reason to believe that the wear and tear of the seasons are catching up.

Reactions: Kurrilino

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Sure. Now what's behind him?
King's are basically at where they need to find Quick again. Quick wasn't the next in line. He took the job & ran with it. Got to find the same thing. Start plugging them in & find one that runs with the job.

10M goalies are out of the question
5M after Cal, Campbell & others may not be a great idea.
Need cheap goalie that runs with the job. May not be the first plugged in.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
"Who cares?" is the correct answer. Neither lineup is a contender for the Stanely Cup, and neither lineup shows the potential for being developed into becoming a Stanley Cup contender.

...but I am sure it will be considered to be great progress by some if the Kings make the playoffs again next season, and even more so if they are fortunate enough to win a playoff round.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
We’re clearly better down the middle but lost an entire line’s worth of productive top nine wingers.

I honestly think it’s too tough tell just comparing forward core to forward core. If PLD goes beast mode playing easier minutes behind Kopitar-Kempe, then f*** yeah, great trade. But if Kopitar regresses due to age, and we can’t find the depth scoring we summoned from Vilardi and co. on the wings last year, could be bad.

I think we’re clearly better on D, though. No question.

So overall, yeah, put a gun to my head? 23/24 Kings are better on paper.
I think age is way overrated. Until a player has trouble with injuries and is out of the lineup for lengthy periods of time, then age isn't a factor. Kopitar, with the way he plays, all gentlemanly, could get a contract well into his 40s. No joke. He could be a 1st line center at 44. Book it.

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think age is way overrated. Until a player has trouble with injuries and is out of the lineup for lengthy periods of time, then age isn't a factor. Kopitar, with the way he plays, all gentlemanly, could get a contract well into his 40s. No joke. He could be a 1st line center at 44. Book it.

Tell your weed dealer to stop lacing his stuff with LSD. It’s beginning to affect you.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am sure the Kings would love that, but Kopitar has been the 1C on this team for the last seven years of an 8-year deal, and what have the Kings won?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think this season will be a demonstration of how important (or not important) the center position is compared to wingers.

You're going from two wings who each have higher Wins-Above-Replacement than the center we just exchanged them for.

Is the value of the center position enough to negate the loss of those wingers?
The duo of Fiala-Dubious has the potential to be a version of the Perry-Getzlaf pair minus the defensive play.. so a 2nd line with 2 potential 100 pt scorers..

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
One of my questions is : is aeg and uncle phil happy with regular season gate receipts as a goal? Because if aeg/mr anchutz want another cup this year they are going to be sadly mistaken. Hopefully change would follow.

Sure as shit would help me.
Mushrooms. The dont call em silly shrooms for nuthin

Reactions: KINGS17

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
not so HOT TAKE
This is the year (2023-24) where Kopitar will NOT be LA's leading scorer
An actual hot take… Byfield breaks out, Kempe hits 50 goals and once again…. Kopitar leads the team in scoring again and sets a new career high in points!!

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
An actual hot take… Byfield breaks out, Kempe hits 50 goals and once again…. Kopitar leads the team in scoring again and sets a new career high in points!!
That’d be awesome if Kopitar wins the Hart this season. But that would also likely mean he dragged the Kings to the playoffs. Oof.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That’d be awesome if Kopitar wins the Hart this season. But that would also likely mean he dragged the Kings to the playoffs. Oof.
Exactly? That means he’ll be dead tired come playoff time.. the hope is now that we have 3 lines, Todd will do what the VGK did and manage their time better and give all 3 lines around 17min of TOI

Last edited:
Reactions: funky

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Pierre-Luc Dubois > Gabe Vilardi
Brandt Clarke > Sean Durzi
Jordan Spence > Sean Walker
Alex Iafallo > Trevor Lewis
Joonas Korpisalo > Cam Talbot
Ramus Kupari > JAD
Alexander Edler = Andreas Englund

I'd say this team has remained just about the same. We lost a lot of forward depth and goaltending is probably bottom 5 in the NHL.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I feel like on the O side we are stronger with a legit 3rd line center - not too many teams are going to compete with that.

I don’t love the D side but I believe dumping Durzi + Walker will be a big plus overall given Clarke/Spence being full time adds and Gavrikov.

Goaltending we took a hit but Copley did the job to get us over 100 points and so it’s his net again.

I wish it were better balanced but I think today it a better lineup.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kopitar was dominated by Edmonton in the playoffs. We have never seen Anze schooled like that, so yeah, there is good reason to believe that the wear and tear of the seasons are catching up.
It didn't just happen this season, it happened the previous season as well. Two playoffs in a row.

But a lot of that has to do with who he was playing; McDavid.

TMac FINALLY figured out it was better to matchup Danault against the Oilers top line, but it was too late.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Pierre-Luc Dubois > Gabe Vilardi
Brandt Clarke > Sean Durzi
Jordan Spence > Sean Walker
Alex Iafallo > Trevor Lewis
Joonas Korpisalo > Cam Talbot
Ramus Kupari > JAD
Alexander Edler = Andreas Englund

I'd say this team has remained just about the same. We lost a lot of forward depth and goaltending is probably bottom 5 in the NHL.
I think JAD is better than Kupari.

Also, did you see Edler towards the end of the year? Englund might be an upgrade.

In each of the last two seasons, the Kings struggled in the playoffs in large because they only had 2 of 4 forward lines actually functioning. It was so obvious they needed another center. If PLD pushes other players to their right full place (Lizotte to 4C, Danault to 3C) and you get 4 working lines, I think we're pretty clearly better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad