Line Combos: Which Kings Lineup is Better?

Which lineup is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
2023-2024 Kings:
Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Fiala-Dubois-Kaliyev
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Anderson-Dolan-Lizotte-Grundstrom/Fagemo

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke/Spence
Bjornfot-Roy

OR

2022-2023 Kings:
Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Lizotte-Vilardi
Iafallo-Kupari-MacEwen/Grundstrom/Anderson-Dolan

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Edler-Durzi/Walker

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Honestly, they’re probably a wash, which is so hilarious to me lol.
You don't think there's a slight difference between Lizotte as one of the top 3 centers versus Dubois?

Lets wait and see how the roster ends up before comparing the two.
It is based on what we see today on paper. It's not a life or death choice. Some of you seem afraid to cast a vote :laugh:.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Getting rid of Edler, Durzi and Walker improves the roster significantly.

Iaffalo and Vilardi for PLD is an over downgrade.

So better defense, worse forward group. Probably cancels each other out.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
You don't think there's a slight difference between Lizotte as one of the top 3 centers versus Dubois?

It is based on what we see today on paper. It's not a life or death choice. Some of you seem afraid to cast a vote :laugh:.
Well it's hard to compare because one of them actually played games and the other is a hypothetical.

I'd say the two are comparable but on paper I don't see it as a team that gets by Edmonton any easier.

But, I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong about speculation about half the time, something I wish more of you would admit to.

One thing I do know is the Kings better be in the WCF this season or I think this trade will look awful in hindsight.

Still cautiously optimistic.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don’t think either team was ever going to win anything, but they are closer than they were yesterday.

You can slot Kaliyev into Vilardi’s role and there is atleast a chance he scores at a similar pace (30G, 53 Pts). There is no center who was in a depth role or in Ontario that was going to come in produce like PLD is likely to produce.

C was a weakness for the Kings and now it’s a strength.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

We’re clearly better down the middle but lost an entire line’s worth of productive top nine wingers.

I honestly think it’s too tough tell just comparing forward core to forward core. If PLD goes beast mode playing easier minutes behind Kopitar-Kempe, then f*** yeah, great trade. But if Kopitar regresses due to age, and we can’t find the depth scoring we summoned from Vilardi and co. on the wings last year, could be bad.

I think we’re clearly better on D, though. No question.

So overall, yeah, put a gun to my head? 23/24 Kings are better on paper.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I am hoping kaliyev and Fagemo provide 20-30 goals at least.

Hoping Clarke can be a difference maker and Spence and Bjornfot platoon until one locks down a spot.

Goaltending will be the key. I honestly have faith in Copley but am hoping for a guy like Talbot or Reimer too.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think this season will be a demonstration of how important (or not important) the center position is compared to wingers.

You're going from two wings who each have higher Wins-Above-Replacement than the center we just exchanged them for.

Is the value of the center position enough to negate the loss of those wingers?

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The lineup is really lacking defensively capable wingers.
I think the top line and bottom two lines shouldn’t be a concern, but that second scoring unit certainly seems like their defense will be their offense. Kaliyev also made some strides in improving his play away from the puck, and he can make plays that Vilardi made with the puck.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think the top line and bottom two lines shouldn’t be a concern, but that second scoring unit certainly seems like their defense will be their offense. Kaliyev also made some strides in improving his play away from the puck, and he can make plays that Vilardi made with the puck.
I think the lineup would really benefit from adding a gritty right shot defensive winger with some size for the bottom 6.

We need to be able to roll the lines. That's the biggest reason we failed against Edmonton the last two playoffs IMO. We only had 2 functioning forward lines in each series.

Vegas won the SC because of depth.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
It should be clear to everyone that having Iafallo off the team for that stretch hurt the team defensively. Gabe also made big strides in that area and was quite defensively responsible. I think Fagemo can be similar, but he's definitely not as skilled as Vilardi. Kaliyev has potential, but he still hasn't put everything together yet. Hopefully Blake is not done. We are already better with Clarke in and Durzi out, but the jury is still out on how next year will go.

Fiala did not disappoint - hopefully PLD is the same.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Arizona would of been better if they don't ice Durzi-Edler. What a disaster that was for us.

Or D is good, if we get another LD with size, possibly next year with more cap space? Or a TDL deal?

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke\Spence
Bjornfot - Roy

Kids need to step up, we're only contending if we got prospects producing with on their ELC.

If Copley can get us to the TDL, we can maybe pull a trade for a playoff Goalie then? This is the biggest hole right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad