Proposal: Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

• NYR- Kravstov, Lundkvist, 2023 1st

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • PITT- Marino, Poulin, #21

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • CBJ- Peeke, #12

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • LA- Grans, #19, Turcotte

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • BOS- Carlo, Lysell, #54

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Wash- McMichael, Lorio, #20, #46

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • NJD- Holtz, Mukhamadulin, 2023 1st w/lottery protection

Votes: 68 24.7%
  • CAR- Necas, Morrow, 2023 2nd

Votes: 67 24.4%

• Total voters

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Marino 5 more years at 4.4M and he's just hitting his prime.

Poulin a solid D prospect.

And the 21st pick?

Yeah sign me up for that one. Literally shocked I'm the only one who voted for it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why would the NJD go all in to trade for JT Miller...?.(or specifically, one bargain year on his contract )...They're not even a playoff team.

It makes zero sense.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Why would the NJD go all in to trade for JT Miller...?.(or specifically, one bargain year on his contract )...They're not even a playoff team.

It makes zero sense.
They have a lot of cap space, a lot of younger players and not much depth or experience on the wings…I don’t think it makes “zero sense”, but it is unlikely.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
They have a lot of cap space, a lot of younger players and not much depth or experience on the wings…I don’t think it makes “zero sense”, but it is unlikely.
Most of the rebuilding teams usually have oodles of cap space, but even then..would Miller sign a retirement contract with the Devils..?..Realistically, Millers situation is ideally suited for a SC contender.

I could be completely wrong, but the Devils and Columbus look like the least likely teams to acquire Miller..imo.

Reactions: theguardianII

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Most of the rebuilding teams usually have oodles of cap space, but even then..would Miller sign a retirement contract with the Devils..?..Realistically, Millers situation is ideally suited for a SC contender.

I could be completely wrong, but the Devils and Columbus look like the least likely teams to acquire Miller..imo.
That could very well be, and is probably likely…but at some point rebuilding teams get tired of rebuilding and spending time in the cellar, and have enough assets built up to start trying to make the playoffs and trying to contend. I recall hearing rumors that NJ was interested in Boeser and Garland at one point, so they might be big game hunting in an effort to take the next evolutionary step.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
That could very well be, and is probably likely…but at some point rebuilding teams get tired of rebuilding and spending time in the cellar, and have enough assets built up to start trying to make the playoffs and trying to contend. I recall hearing rumors that NJ was interested in Boeser and Garland at one point, so they might be big game hunting in an effort to take the next evolutionary step.
You fool, you fell right into his devilish trap. The correct response was to laugh at “most of the rebuilding teams have oodles of cap space”

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Flip flopped on this a bit. I’d probably do all of the NJ, Carolina, Washington and LA deals if any were the best one available at the end of the day. I’d lean to the NJ deal I think simply because Holtz is the single best asset in any of those lists.

Philly could put together a competitive deal in this range as well. Ronnie Attard and Owen Tippett come to mind.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hurricanes. Necas is a season removed from Pacing for 60+ points in a little over 15 minutes of ice time. We got a Top 6 young roster player and one of the best RHD prospects out there. The 2nd is just gravy.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Prospect/Young Roster Player key piece has to be a near sure-fire top line winger, or a matchup capable two-way center with a defensive floor higher than Horvat’s, or a matchup two-way RHD.

Pieces after that are important, but I’m taking the package that gets me the best shot at the above.

Reactions: Fatass and Vector

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
Opted for the Kings deal. Then I'd try to flip the 19th to Montreal for the 26 & 33. Lose Miller, get Grans, Turcotte, 15/26/33. Quick restock.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Originally vote for the Canes deal as I'm a Morrow fan. Also like the Caps deal with the 2 picks as well as 2 solid young pieces.
However went with the Devil's deal in the end. Holtz is the best prospect in any of the offer so getting a blue chip piece is good, even though he plays a non-premium position. Also with the Devil's goaltending situation, their young D and the strength of the East, it is conceivable (although unlikely) that the 2023 1st becomes a top 10 pick. In that case, if I understand correctly, we will be getting their unprotected 1st in 2024. We could end up with Holtz, a D prospect, and a top 10 pick in 2024. That would potentially be a very lopsided trade in our favor.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The choice is going to reflect the poster’s preference for retool vs rebuild.

LA’s offer is the most re-tool friendly. We get 2 cost-controlled pieces that fit with the team’s biggest needs as currently configured. We get a big mobile RHD in Grans and a center prospect in Alex Turcotte.

A lot has been made of Turcotte’s struggles in the AHL. But that’s only true in the context of his draft position. His calling card has always been his two way game and motor. That still holds true and he’s still tracking to becoming a 2/3C.

Reactions: racerjoe

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I think I'd prefer Faber over Grans as stylistically he'd probably fit with Hughes more and LA might be more willing to let him go than Grans. Would also take a top 5 protected 2023 1st rather than this year's. Maybe see if they need an add to throw Thomas into the mix

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
So if NJ finishes with a top 10 pick in 2023 then it becomes an unprotected 2024 first? That’s still very tempting.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
The Pits one needs more love. Marino is the best RHD in any of these deals

I picked LA, then realized it’s quite possible that, and many of these deals could leave us with nothing. Couldn’t we get a guy like Matt Roy out of LA in a package for example?

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The Pits one needs more love. Marino is the best RHD in any of these deals

I picked LA, then realized it’s quite possible that, and many of these deals could leave us with nothing. Couldn’t we get a guy like Matt Roy out of LA in a package for example?

I'm pretty shocked that 70% of the votes don't return a RD with any sort of experience.

I would not want to deal Miller for a package of straight futures, I'd want at least some sort of young established NHL player back.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I'm pretty shocked that 70% of the votes don't return a RD with any sort of experience.

I would not want to deal Miller for a package of straight futures, I'd want at least some sort of young established NHL player back.

Straight futures is exactly what we need.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This quickly turned into other player trades.

IMO none of the above are enough.
While they address the age grouping and in some cases the size issue they are not enough.
I would not take the management out behind the shed for any of these deals, I just feel they should target bigger fish with Miller as bait.

If you want big fish use big bait.
Conservative is always the best play. Always. You just need the rope from ownership like Tampa and Colorado.. Gms only make bad moves when they are rushed for results and start taking short cuts to speed up the process.
The table was set with this team in JR's first introduction, they are not good enough, non-playoff teams should never be capped out, Vancouver fans are smart and will understand what is needed and will support those moves, the team will need to take a step back and he is here to build a Cup contender in 3 or 4 years.

It makes zero sense.
NJD are now in a "make the playoffs" window. They have two or three young players that might have issues. Zacha (25), Bratt (23) and Boqvist (23)
NJD have plenty of young centers

Miller could be either, but a "wanna be" team might have more to offer.

Lots of contenders would love to get their hands on him but do they have enough to trade? Maybe Washington, they look like they might drop in the standings, a couple of their first, 2023 & 2024

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad