OT: Which is the next Canadian city to get a professional franchise?

cage

Apr 25, 2004
My hope is that:

-Toronto gets an NFL team
-Montreal gets another MLB team
-Vancouver gets another NBA team

I don't know if any of that is possible in the near future with the state of our dollar. I like the NFL but I need a Canadian team to truly become a real fan. I think every sports fan in Ottawa would love to see the Expos return, as Montreal is so close to us. I love the NBA, and I know basketball would be much bigger in this country if people out west had their own team to cheer for

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I always thought Moncton would get a cfl team before Halifax... They have been hosting exhibition games for the last couple of years right?

Moncton has a stadium, Halifax doesn't. A CFL sized stadium in Halifax probably guarantees a team.

Last edited:

Ttracer*

Ewww no more baseball please. Tioronto needs a serious rugby team

Ttracer*

Honestly, it may be a fast growing participant sport, and huge in other parts of the globe, but pro rugby will never catch on here.
Would be more exciting than jays games in the dome. You're right though rugby will be tough in Canada

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Nuff said! :sarcasm:

Yeah, should be Quebec and the NHL, why Bettman wants to go to Las Vegas ahead of a market that would be successful in Quebec City is beyond me.
Z3qpwYs.gif

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I really think Quebec City should... not that I was ever a fan of them or anything but it'd be nice to get all of the original Canadian teams back. After the Jets came back it just seems that Quebec City would be the next natural choice that should be focussed on

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The thing that blows my mind about Tampa not caring about the Rays is that there are 11 grapefruit league headquarters, all ranging between in, or an hour drive of Tampa proper, that are at least decently well-supported. Strange they don't seem to care about actual major league ball.

Mind you, Tropicana Field is a frickin cavern. Olympic Stadium v2.0.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
My hope is that:

-Toronto gets an NFL team
-Montreal gets another MLB team
-Vancouver gets another NBA team

I don't know if any of that is possible in the near future with the state of our dollar. I like the NFL but I need a Canadian team to truly become a real fan. I think every sports fan in Ottawa would love to see the Expos return, as Montreal is so close to us. I love the NBA, and I know basketball would be much bigger in this country if people out west had their own team to cheer for

I could care less. I'm a Jays fan, never followed the Expos, and a lot of the appeal for me is that it's an American sport/league that we get to participate in. I guess I would go to more games though, given Montreal is half the distance from Ottawa than Toronto.

Ewww no more baseball please. Tioronto needs a serious rugby team

Yea, the Canadian Super League folded in 2009. Ottawa Harlequins represent. Although Ottawa is a surprise rugby hotbed, I don't think even Toronto would draw big numbers (ie. over 5k) to league rugby games.

Gotta respect the fact that they built the arena with expanding to international-sized ice in mind, if need be at any point in the future.

I read somewhere that CTC can convert too (is that why the steps by the boards are metal?). Have we ever actually done it?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I could care less. I'm a Jays fan, never followed the Expos, and a lot of the appeal for me is that it's an American sport/league that we get to participate in. I guess I would go to more games though, given Montreal is half the distance from Ottawa than Toronto.

Yea, the Canadian Super League folded in 2009. Ottawa Harlequins represent. Although Ottawa is a surprise rugby hotbed, I don't think even Toronto would draw big numbers (ie. over 5k) to league rugby games.

I read somewhere that CTC can convert too (is that why the steps by the boards are metal?). Have we ever actually done it?
Lots of space in that first row.

I would really like to see the CFL expand and be represented in all of the big cities across the country. Halifax, Quebec City for sure but again we would have an odd numbered league. If some how we could get to 12 teams I think that would be awesome. Maybe Moncton.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

We used that extra space all the time, just never for international ice (though we still have the capacity to install it... we've just never had reason to, IIRC).

Any time monster truck shows, or Pro Bull Riding, or other shows like that come to town that need the extra space, we always expand the arena level to acommodate.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Get an epic rivalry going with the NHL's Yellowknife Diamond Cutters ;)

When I was a kid and used to draw hockey game comics, I totally had a team from Yellowknife (I think their jerseys were yellow with a big shiny knife on them, pretty original). I think Ottawa had a team called the Octopuses.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hamilton NASL

Yeah, I guess that's technically a pro franchise, though I imagine OP was referring to the next MAJOR pro franchise.

I mean, I'm sure there will be a new Canadian Lacrosse League franchise some time soon too, or an NBLC team or a Can/Am baseball team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Gotta respect the fact that they built the arena with expanding to international-sized ice in mind, if need be at any point in the future.

That should've been part of the NHL's mandate for any of the arenas built in the last 25 years or so (that's about when the league started having a flurry of new buildings built, iirc).

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I hope its quebec it would only make the Ottawa - Toronto - Montreal - Quebec hotbed bigger.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I dont care if Canada get another team or not. All that matters is a team is put in the best economical situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad