Which is more likely : White plays again or gets traded?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Like the title says, will he be traded and where is the most likely destination?

250px-Ian_White_Red_Wings.png

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think White stays until the deadline, or is just left to walk this summer. Either way, with our injury history this season, I think he'll sooner play another game than be traded.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Carolina is apparently looking for a veteran defenseman. Maybe work a deal for Semin.....?!!!

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
More likely that he plays another game, but his days in Detroit are definitely numbered. Thanks for everything, Ian.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Ill say he plays again. But it's more and more looking like he is one of the odd men out. So I'd bet he gets dealt.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Carolina is apparently looking for a veteran defenseman. Maybe work a deal for Semin.....?!!!

They are still in a playoff spot, no reason to trade Semin.

I think potential trade partners could be:

Florida: Weiss, Fleishmann, Kopecky (hey, it could happen)
Buffalo: Stafford?
Edmonton: Hemsky
Calgary: Bouwmeester

Maybe Washington and Tampa, but I don't know who they would trade tbh.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
White will play again. With all the injuries we've had this season :shakehead

He'll either be traded or let go during free agency. It's a pity, since we really need a RH defenseman.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I think right now they haven't moved him because they don't want all of Kindl, Lashoff & Huskins in the lineup at any one time. You always need depth of the backend, especially in a short season, once Carlo is back I think we'll see White traded away for a 2nd+3rd (similar to the Odyua deal).

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
same thing I've posted on the main board

1. We could be waiting for Colacovo to get fully healthy before dealing any D. (when he comes back we get 9D, but we could send Lashoff down without being subjected to waivers to 8D. However, it seems like Babcock really likes Lashoff)

2. We aren't actually trading White (meaning one of the players playing is being show cased - maybe Kindl/Quincey)

3. We will just keep White for insurance (with how many injuries we had, maybe it's not the end of the world)

In any case, I think White will see some action.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think right now they haven't moved him because they don't want all of Kindl, Lashoff & Huskins in the lineup at any one time. You always need depth of the backend, especially in a short season, once Carlo is back I think we'll see White traded away for a 2nd+3rd (similar to the Odyua deal).

This post has made the wheels turn a bit for me.

1. The DRW know what they have in White and Huskins. White is a top 4 d-man who can contribute on the PP. However his PP contributions this year have been nil. Huskins is a bottom pairing d-man who is a very solid PK'er.

2. Smith has recently returned to the lineup. I believe White has been scratched in part to see what Smith and Kindl bring to the PP. Kindl hasn't done anything yet, will Smith?

3. Quincey adds absolutely nothing to the PP. He's a PK'ing d-man who plays mostly 3rd pairing mins. That guy ain't worth $4 million a year. Are they giving him some of White's EVS mins to see if he can hold his own? I think Holland may be forced to Jason Williams Quincey even if the return is the equivalent of Kyle Calder.

I am not impressed with Kindl or Quincey. Q is by far the worst contract on the club and I have to imagine a guy who is as cap obsessed as Holland will do whatever it takes to correct that mistake. I think both White and Kronwall need Ericsson's steadying presence. Kronwall is winning out because he can actually put up points. That leaves White as the odd man out right now. However if Kindl adds nothing to the power play a pairing of White and Lashoff could work out quite nicely. I'm guessing our best pairings could work out to the following:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Lashoff-White
Smith-Huskins

Just a thought. Each pairing has an offensive d-man with a d-man who is a force on the PK. In this case Q and Kindl would be the odd men out and Colaiacovo fills his perfect role as the 7th d-man as he's always a risk to get injured.

we like our team*

if they're trading him i don't get why they would scratch him and lower his value

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If White + Cleary, or Quincey + Cleary got traded at the deadline, I would be ecstatic.

CloneHakanPlease*

This post has made the wheels turn a bit for me.

1. The DRW know what they have in White and Huskins. White is a top 4 d-man who can contribute on the PP. However his PP contributions this year have been nil. Huskins is a bottom pairing d-man who is a very solid PK'er.

2. Smith has recently returned to the lineup. I believe White has been scratched in part to see what Smith and Kindl bring to the PP. Kindl hasn't done anything yet, will Smith?

3. Quincey adds absolutely nothing to the PP. He's a PK'ing d-man who plays mostly 3rd pairing mins. That guy ain't worth $4 million a year. Are they giving him some of White's EVS mins to see if he can hold his own? I think Holland may be forced to Jason Williams Quincey even if the return is the equivalent of Kyle Calder.

I am not impressed with Kindl or Quincey. Q is by far the worst contract on the club and I have to imagine a guy who is as cap obsessed as Holland will do whatever it takes to correct that mistake. I think both White and Kronwall need Ericsson's steadying presence. Kronwall is winning out because he can actually put up points. That leaves White as the odd man out right now. However if Kindl adds nothing to the power play a pairing of White and Lashoff could work out quite nicely. I'm guessing our best pairings could work out to the following:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Lashoff-White
Smith-Huskins

Just a thought. Each pairing has an offensive d-man with a d-man who is a force on the PK. In this case Q and Kindl would be the odd men out and Colaiacovo fills his perfect role as the 7th d-man as he's always a risk to get injured.

As much as Quincy is overpaid, I still think he's been fairly solid since his bad start, and I'm not sure if the cap money saved would be able to find us a player that would make it anymore than a lateral move. Pretty weak UFA crop for defensemen this year. His cap hit is high, but I doubt we'll be in danger of being over it even if we do get aggressive with UFAs if we let the right people walk/buy the right people out.

If we're going to buyout or ship out salary, I'd rather we do it in a place we have a surplus of quality players and prospects ready to make the jump. Much rather buy out 1 of Sammy, Bert, or Abs than Quincy, even if he is the most overpaid. I don't think his salary will impact our ability to offer UFAs more than what we want to anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad