Which group of defenceman will be better?

Which group of defenceman will be better?

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
How come Cale "top pairing minutes" Makar played less minutes than Hughes? Also our shutdown defence man is Tanev, who is Hughes' partner. In other words Hughes wasn't sheltered at all, least of all by Edler. Not sure what you're trying to get at with that one. Hughes/Tanev plays against anyone and everyone.

Makar also had a higher offensive zone start percentage than Hughes meanwhile Hughes had better Corsi, Fenwick, and a lower PDO (meaning he wasn't as lucky as Makar).

But OK bro!!!

Just for clarity sake their CF was the same. As for PDO, Makar hit 12 posts this year. Not sure if that’s factored in at all, but I’d say that’s pretty unlucky.

Anyways, I think the people doubting Hughes are off the mark. Forget about in the future, he’s already a special player.

Reactions: majormajor

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Just for clarity sake their CF was the same. As for PDO, Makar hit 12 posts this year. Not sure if that’s factored in at all, but I’d say that’s pretty unlucky.

Anyways, I think the people doubting Hughes are off the mark. Forget about in the future, he’s already a special player.

Not only is it factored in, but Makar's PDO was over 1.017, which means he'll be due for a slight regression, but it'll be nullified by his growth as a player. Hughes was 0.977, so he's due for a slight improvement. That being said, it's not drastically different from what you'd see from one season to another.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Not only is it factored in, but Makar's PDO was over 1.017, which means he'll be due for a slight regression, Hughes was 0.977, so he's due for a slight improvement. That being said, it's not drastically different from what you'd see from one season to another.

We shall see I guess. Personally I think any kind of ‘regression’ will be offset by the Avs power play not sucking next year and not having half their roster injured.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
We shall see I guess. Personally I think any kind of ‘regression’ will be offset by the Avs power play not sucking next year and not having half their roster injured.

Yeah, I edited my post before you responded, the regression won't be more than his growth as a player will be

Love

Feb 29, 2012

It was but Hughes’ relative corsi was better

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Those 4 have already shown to be all time greats. We dont even know for sure who the best dmen of the next decade will be. If youre specifically looking at those 4 kids its an easy choice to say the vet group. Very easy. If group b is "whoever the top 4 d are" then it maies it different.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Makar may have hit 12 posts, but he also had a shooting average of 10%, Hughes' was a much more reasonable 6%.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar may have hit 12 posts, but he also had a shooting average of 10%, Hughes' was a much more reasonable 6%.

I could see Makar’s shooting % dropping to 7-8% next year, but I don’t expect that to be much of an issue.

He’ll be playing more, and getting more opportunities.

Makar’s got a really good wrist shot btw. The puck gets off his stick with very little wind up, and with a lot of pace. The guy knows how to pick corners.

I would be surprised if Hughes shot better than Makar over their careers, unless Hughes becomes a more selective shooter.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad