Which group of defenceman will be better?

Which group of defenceman will be better?

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Gonna be hard to top what those vets did. They have like, what, 5 cups from Keith and Doughty, and even more norris' between them?

Yep. 5 cups and 6 Norris trophies for the established vets and those totals could still grow.

I think there’s more to saying who’s better than just counting trophies, but all of the vets have been considered the best defenceman in the world for at least one season.

Reactions: biturbo19

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yep. 5 cups and 6 Norris trophies for the established vets and those totals could still grow.

I think there’s more to saying who’s better than just counting trophies, but all of the vets have been considered the best defenceman in the world for at least one season.
I know trophies arent everything. but the question in the OP is "Which group of defenceman will be viewed as better by the end of their careers?"

I think people will remember the Blackhawks/Kings semi dynasty in the early 2010's. Keith and Doughty were both key members during their runs.

I think pre injury prime Karlsson was one of the most game changing, dominating Dmen we've seen in a while.

Hedman is still arguably the best Dman in the league, while the others have fell off. I wouldnt be surprised to see him win another norris, and if tampa can get over the hump he can add another cup to the group.

I am a big believer in both Heiskanen and Dahlin. I think they will be the headliners of the decade as far as defenceman go. If Buffalo can put it together I can see Dahlin being the most successful out of all of them, individually and long term.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I know trophies arent everything. but the question in the OP is "Which group of defenceman will be viewed as better by the end of their careers?"

I think people will remember the Blackhawks/Kings semi dynasty in the early 2010's. Keith and Doughty were both key members during their runs.

I think pre injury prime Karlsson was one of the most game changing, dominating Dmen we've seen in a while.

Hedman is still arguably the best Dman in the league, while the others have fell off. I wouldnt be surprised to see him win another norris, and if tampa can get over the hump he can add another cup to the group.

I am a big believer in both Heiskanen and Dahlin. I think they will be the headliners of the decade as far as defenceman go. If Buffalo can put it together I can see Dahlin being the most successful out of all of them, individually and long term.

Yeah, I like Dahlin a lot as well. I think he’ll establish himself as the best D sooner rather than later.

I like Heiskanen as well, but I do think he has the lowest upside of the ‘new kids’ group.

I really don’t see the young guys reaching the Stanley Cup total of the vets. I’d say it’s almost a certainty that they’ll pile up more points, but they’ll need to display great two-way impact and perform in the playoffs too.

Agree on Karlsson, I don’t know if any of the young cats reach prime Karlsson level. He was quite possibly the best player in the game for a couple years.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I honestly don't know how the bottom guys have any votes. Even if they all reach their potential it would be at best a push.

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yeah, I like Dahlin a lot as well. I think he’ll establish himself as the best D sooner rather than later.

I like Heiskanen as well, but I do think he has the lowest upside of the ‘new kids’ group.

I really don’t see the young guys reaching the Stanley Cup total of the vets. I’d say it’s almost a certainty that they’ll pile up more points, but they’ll need to display great two-way impact and perform in the playoffs too.

Agree on Karlsson, I don’t know if any of the young cats reach prime Karlsson level. He was quite possibly the best player in the game for a couple years.
I think Dahlin and Heiskanen will be the Keith/Hedman of the group. Dominant presences on both ends if the ice. Although Hedman types earlier in their careers, as Hedman took a few years to get going.

Makar and Hughes should be Karlsson-lite players. Offensive threats with meh defensive game. I dont think either reach peak Karlsson but the same play style. And not to mention, with the way the norris works, points might get them a couple. Although I dont think thats the way it should be awarded.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think Dahlin and Heiskanen will be the Keith/Hedman of the group. Dominant presences on both ends if the ice. Although Hedman types earlier in their careers, as Hedman took a few years to get going.

Makar and Hughes should be Karlsson-lite players. Offensive threats with meh defensive game. I dont think either reach peak Karlsson but the same play style. And not to mention, with the way the norris works, points might get them a couple. Although I dont think thats the way it should be awarded.

I’m not as bullish on Heiskanen’s offensive upside, but I think he compares pretty favourably to Drew Doughty. I could see him having a similar career, though I don’t expect the Stars to be as good as the Kings have been.

I like Dahlin more than Keith. I don’t know if he’ll be as decorated a player, but I expect him to become a better player in his prime.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Replace Hughes with Jones and it starts getting closer IMO. Chabot's in the mix as well.

A bit unfair to the younger guys right now. Dahlin still has the upside, at least, to be the best of all these players. But obviously until he proves it, that's all it is. The older group set the bar pretty high that you have to take them.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Easily the veterans. They all had dominate careers. All it takes is one of the younger players to not hit their ceiling or get a career injury and the grouping has no chance

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I honestly don't know how the bottom guys have any votes. Even if they all reach their potential it would be at best a push.

I completely disagree. The upside of the new generation is higher. Their raw skills are better, especially the skating. We don't know if they'll get there but they're well ahead of the pace. How good were Hedman, Karlsson, Doughty, and Keith when they were 20? Doughty was great but the other three were miles away from being their best. Keith was in Norfolk, Hedman was a solid but boring second pair type, Karlsson was a risky player without much to show for it.

Dahlin at his best might be able to do everything Hedman does as well as being a much better generator of offense. His edgework and deception from the line are ridiculous for a big man.

Makar has 100 pt upside.

It's hard to compare Hughes with anyone but he's already a #1D at 20.

At 20 Heiskanen is also a #1D and is already as good defensively as any of the older group of 4 have ever been.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
One of these names is not like the others

Hughes beat all the other rookies in points in their rookie year, his rookie year also beat both Dahlin and Heiskanen's second year in points. He beat Heiskanen by 20 points in 15 less games in Heiskanen's rookie season, 18 in his second season. He also scored 10 more points than Dahlin in 15 less games and 13 more points this year.

Hughes arguably has the best skating of the bunch, and even if he's not the best, he certainly belongs in the conversation with the rest of them.

TSN Jdog

Apr 25, 2016
Starting to hate the Leafs
Hughes beat all the other rookies in points in their rookie year, his rookie year also beat both Dahlin and Heiskanen's second year in points. He beat Heiskanen by 20 points in 15 less games in Heiskanen's rookie season, 18 in his second season. He also scored 10 more points than Dahlin in 15 less games and 13 more points this year.

Hughes arguably has the best skating of the bunch, and even if he's not the best, he certainly belongs in the conversation with the rest of them.

Hughes was sheltered by Edler. Makar was playing top pairing minutes and matchups on an injury decimated team. There's good reason Makar will easily win the Calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad