Which goalie would you start for the next two games?

Oct 15, 2008
I would start Luongo.

The Canucks problems have nothing to do with goaltending truth be told.

I dont think it matters much who gets the start tbh, but based on the first two games Luongo is playing better atm.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would start Luongo.

The Canucks problems have nothing to do with goaltending truth be told.

I dont think it matters much who gets the start tbh, but based on the first two games Luongo is playing better atm.

This.

Luongo had a better game than Schneider and should play until he has a bad game or two, then go back to Cory. (Or the next back to back).

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I don't really care who they start, but Schneider hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt, yet — even if they think he's their #1. He's also not so mentally fragile that if they pick Luongo over him for a few games, he will fall apart or lose confidence. If anything he'll just compete harder to get his starts. The team needs to win games, not baby Schneider and if they think Luongo gives them the better chance right this moment then that's what they'll do.

That said, they could pick Schneider for Wednesday and I would be fine with it. I'm not convinced that you lose faith in your goalie over one game. Now if Wednesday is another bad outing then you have to go with Luongo until he falters.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Whatever the schedule says, for now. If AV had Schneider scheduled to start against CGY, then he should start. If it was Lu, then he should start.

I think they go with Schneider on Wednesday.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
You have to get Schneider going, and Calgary's as good a team as any to rebuild his confidence. I'd go into this planning to start Schneids for both games (which is what I voted for) but if he gets shelled by the Flames, I wouldn't have a problem starting Lou against the Ducks.

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
Start Schneider Wednesday. So he had a bad game against the Ducks, big deal. Should the Kings start Bernier now, should Biron get the start in NY. Both goalies had terrible games and you don't see talk of them like we are seeing about Schneids. Its early yet and not the time for overreacting, the only change I see as necessary is getting rid of Ebbett he is brutal all over the ice.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Schneider for both, he's our guy and one game shouldn't change that and it's not as if Luongo put up an amazing enough game to warrant "riding the hot hand"

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Schneider vs Calgary
Luongo vs Anaheim

It's too soon to put Schneider against Anaheim again, imo.

So what happens when we trade Luongo and Schneider really stinks it up in a playoff game? Do we not play him the next game? If we are putting in Schneider in for Calgary, might as well put him in against Anaheim to test his mental fortitude.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
So what happens when we trade Luongo and Schneider really stinks it up in a playoff game? Do we not play him the next game? If we are putting in Schneider in for Calgary, might as well put him in against Anaheim to test his mental fortitude.

I think we have a better chance at beating Anaheim with Luongo than Schneider. We can't afford to risk games in a shortened season and us already stumbling out the gate.

This isn't the last time we face Anaheim this season, and it's unlikely we face them in the playoffs. Schneider will get his chance against them again, but not now when we need to start winning games and he's only a couple of days removed from an 11 GAA from them.

theripper

Jan 22, 2010
Vancouver

wasn't that experiment already made? according to these canucks fans last year, Schneider IS ready, yet we're still sitting here debating who starts. That shows the lack of confidence with him,even after trying to convince the world he is the greatest goalie this team will ever have.

And now is NOT the time to experiment to see if he is mentally tough or not, we're down 1.5 games in a row to start the season. In an 82 game season that's 3 full games lost out of 4. Not good at all.

And Schneider should start,he should be responsible for however the team plays, because Luongo isn't here by choice.He checked out a long time ago. I doubt he even cares.

AlphaMale

Jan 21, 2013

I don't think Gillis will trade Luongo. It's apparent that teams aren't willing to give anything valuable in return and I'd rather have a good backup goalie than a Bozak type of player that will have no impact on our chances to win in the playoffs. Gilles doesn't have any good prospects to package with Luongo to get a team to take him off our hands and give us something valuable in return.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Schneider for both because you don't flip flop on your GM's decision. He is the starter.

Personally, I think Luongo is the better option.. but there's no way Vigneault can start Schneider without creating massive backlash.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
wasn't that experiment already made? according to these canucks fans last year, Schneider IS ready, yet we're still sitting here debating who starts. That shows the lack of confidence with him,even after trying to convince the world he is the greatest goalie this team will ever have.

And now is NOT the time to experiment to see if he is mentally tough or not, we're down 1.5 games in a row to start the season. In an 82 game season that's 3 full games lost out of 4. Not good at all.

And Schneider should start,he should be responsible for however the team plays, because Luongo isn't here by choice.He checked out a long time ago. I doubt he even cares.

How would you know, I really don't think that's Lu.

Anyhow, the goalie issues aren't as big of a problem as the media would have you believe, the whole team has to play better.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

The issue isn't what fans think, it's that it seems like that's also the feeling of AV.

I really hope this isn't the start of this crap for the whole year.

cutthroat

Jan 31, 2007
West Coast
Schneider should play all except back to backs, with Luongo subbing in during tough games as per the first two . . . good for AV. Schneider as #1 and Luongo as the best backup in the league.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
schneider had a bad game. you give luongo either of the next two without giving schneider a chance to redeem himself and we really will have a goalie controversy. This is exactly what the media wants. It honestly does have the potential to cripple our team.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Only natural to have some sort of lack of confidence when 3 months ago everybody was gung-ho about shipping off one of the best goalies in the NHL for players the Leafs didn't want.

339 wins vs 38? I'm starting Luongo till he costs this team a game. And no, letting in 1 meh goal in a 2-1 loss doesn't count.

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
Lu vs Calgary and Schneider vs Anaheim.

Let Schneider redeem himself by shutting down Anaheim.

I don't really want AV rotating Lu/Schneids every game, at least ONE of them needs to find their rhythm. Also, I'm going to the Calgary game and Luongo is my favourite goalie. :P

dps

Nov 30, 2011
I think Cory should get the start for the next two.

He wasn't good against Anaheim and neither was the team from the 2nd period on. I'm willing to be a little patient for now and let the team work off the rust as Quick and Lundqvist haven't had great starts either. I know it's a half season but we still have to have patience to a point.

If this turns into a Thomas vs. Rask situation I can only hope Cory maintains the level of professionalism he has shown and not take it personally if Lou is the better goalie and wins back his spot.

Even considering the next 4 games I'd either go cory-cory-cory-lou(for the back to back) or cory-cory-lou-cory.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I think if Luongo had won his last start, you could probably go back to him Wednesday.

As it stands, Schneider is currently the starting goaltender. He should get the next start, and I expect that he will.

In fact, I think Schneider should get the next two starts regardless. After that, depending on his performace, things could get a little more interesting.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
according to these canucks fans last year, Schneider IS ready, yet we're still sitting here debating who starts. That shows the lack of confidence with him,even after trying to convince the world he is the greatest goalie this team will ever have.

The flipside is that this also applies to Luongo.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
This is a short season, we can't be slow getting out of the starting blocks like we usually do.

At this point, we have to ride the hot goalie, we can't afford losing 3 of 4 games while waiting for Schneider to get in his groove.

We need to play whoever gives us the best chance to win, and that's Luongo as of right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad