Which goalie would you start for the next two games?

Steve Bennett*

With all the discussion about why the Canucks lost the first two games, surprisingly not a lot of it has had to do with goalies. Although I'm sure some might disagree. For me since the coach/gm have shown that Schneider is the number one until something changes their minds, I would go back with Schneider for the next two games. What are others' thoughts?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Kind of have to give Schneider another chance against Calgary IMO, seeing as how he's technically the starter now.

Crows*

Schneider is the starter and Lu asked for a trade.

You start Schneider Wednesday , Friday. Sunday and Lu Monday vs sharks.

StringerBell

Schneider next one, probably Friday too. Split them back to backs on Sunday/Monday.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Luo twice. If the team is rusty as it is it is better to let Lou handle it. He has the routine of old to save the team if he is in that mood. I also think it is better to let him handle defeat - if it comes - than having it put on Schneider.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Schneids. His performance against Calgary will determine the starter for the next game against the Ducks.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
You stick to whatever the original plan was for starts, irrespective of one bad night for Schneider. For mind that is probably Cory vs. Calgary and Lu vs. Anaheim.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Personally, I'm not a fan of "splitting" games. I feel that you ride the hot hand for the time being, and when the time is right, give the other goalie a chance to show what he's got.

Fight for the playing time instead of having it given to you.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
My impression is that AV doesn't really care whether Luongo asked for a trade or not. No clue who starts, but I doubt he treats Schneider like a starter if he doesn't play like one. I think the reason Luongo used to get preferential treatment is not just because he was the starter but also due to his history of excellent play as a starter. Schneider doesn't have that to lean on and will have to earn it.

(Just like Halak split starts for Blue last season despite coming into the season as a clear starter.)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Schneider x2. Seriously. In my heart part of me wants Lu to win back the starting job but in the end it's about the Canucks and doing the right thing for the team.

If Cory is not the #1, why did you have to anoint him as such in the press? If you were intending to play them against each other, then say the job is open to the hot hand like last year.

If you were going to platoon the goalies in light of the schedule, say so.

If the job belonged to Schneids but he had a short leash, say so.

Don't say one thing and do another. That's just going to mess with the goalies' heads, and that doesn't always work in your favour as a coach - just ask Mike Keenan.

In the words of Dennis Green:

Now if you want to crown him, then crown his ass! But he is who we thought he was!

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about the goalies, since it's all the media is talking about.

Easy, start Schneider for the next game then Lu vs. the Ducks cause Cory sucked vs. the Ducks, but then again Lu put in a good performance tonight, so he can start the next game then we'll go from there, Lu is the better goalie right now no doubt.

AV maybe made a mistake tonight not starting Cory, could be toying with their heads and not good for Cory's confidence after you've said he's the guy, but you see this is the thing the Nucks haven't prepared for, what if Cory isn't the goalie you thought he was, cause he's still unproven, Lu is a proven great goalie, so why the hell would you get rid of him and go with the untested guy, a bold and risky move if ever there was one, unless both goalies really are cool with things, Lu was supposed to be the odd man out, sure isn't right now, maybe he's the one who's feeling good and Cory isn't, unless Cory can take this.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
My impression is that AV doesn't really care whether Luongo asked for a trade or not. No clue who starts, but I doubt he treats Schneider like a starter if he doesn't play like one. I think the reason Luongo used to get preferential treatment is not just because he was the starter but also due to his history of excellent play as a starter. Schneider doesn't have that to lean on and will have to earn it.

(Just like Halak split starts for Blue last season despite coming into the season as a clear starter.)

The issue is at this fragile stage (you have a new number 1 with no prior experience) and if you are shopping roberto, you need to show faith in your new number 1 that he can do it. How can schneider earn his stripes if he has a bad game and roberto starts the next. If schneider is our number 1 they have to act like it and to me should have shown confidence in him starting tonight. He played less then roberto saturday. I know its a shortened season and there is less leeway, but he needs to have some leeway. It does not seem like gillis or av are acting like schneider is the number 1. If thats the case and they dont have faith in him they need address this. I dont think either has came out and ever said schneider is our guy. But they started the season with him and gillis has talked about actively shopping roberto...

I keep getting the vibe from av its like he wants to encourage them to compete to play better but to me its having a negative effect. If roberto wants out and your shopping him whats the point of making schneider battle and second guess his position, especially dangerous for a young guy and a man who was given one game as a starter and may feel he already lost the confidence of management. At this stage schneider needs to know the team has faith in him whether roberto is still here or not. And if his position after one bad game is already up in the air and they are considering going back to roberto, they need to start mending fences with him.

Either way this is not a good situation imo for either goalie. But i also understand gillis is in such a tough position he cant give either goalie away for scraps. I just think they need to solidify who is our guy, it has to be wearing on both men psychologically no matter how tough they are.

Halak and elliot and harding and backstrom imo are not comparable at this point. None of those goalies have the stature of roberto, and when you usurp a top 5 goalie it creates a new can of worms. If schneider was battling halak or backstrom this situation would look alot less volatile. Also consider the extreme market this is taking place in and expectations.

Thomas vs rask is the closest, but rask knew thomas had very few years left given his age, and thomas is now moved aside, roberto has many more years left.

Last edited:

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Schneider is the starter and Lu asked for a trade.

You start Schneider Wednesday , Friday. Sunday and Lu Monday vs sharks.

When? Im not doubting I just haven't pay attention to any Lu trade threads for a while since its been the same ****

I would start Lu next game and if he wins just keep playing him

Steve Bennett*

This situation for Luongo, in a way, kind of reminds me of what Bieksa went through a few years ago (I think it was the 2010-11 season) where he was pretty much guaranteed to be traded before/after an injured dman (I think it was Edler) returned. Well turns out Bieksa rocked that year and has earned his stay. I'm not saying that will happen for Luongo, but if it did, I wouldn't be totally against having this ordeal over the past year make him a better goalie for the team...

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
IMO Schneider should have gotten this start. The Oilers weren't that good either, it would have been a good opportunity for Schneids to bounce back.

I'm not sure people understand this, but the whole point of a number one goalie is that you get the benefit of the doubt if you have an off game. You don't need to ride the hot hand because you have faith that your starter will be the hot hand over the long run.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
IMO Schneider should have gotten this start. The Oilers weren't that good either, it would have been a good opportunity for Schneids to bounce back.

I'm not sure people understand this, but the whole point of a number one goalie is that you get the benefit of the doubt if you have an off game. You don't need to ride the hot hand because you have faith that your starter will be the hot hand over the long run.

True, but this is only if you have a clear #1 quality goalie, in this case the nucks have at least one in Lu, Cory hasn't proven himself yet.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
True, but this is only if you have a clear #1 quality goalie, in this case the nucks have at least one in Lu, Cory hasn't proven himself yet.

Well the canucks believe they have a number 1 in cory or else why are they shopping roberto? If they believed the only quality number 1 is roberto, they should have told him after the kings series they want to continue on with him and try to repair the situation.

Also cory cant prove himself if he is sitting on the bench after one bad game.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well the canucks believe they have a number 1 in cory or else why are they shopping roberto? If they believed the only quality number 1 is roberto, they should have told him after the kings series they want to continue on with him and try to repair the situation.

Also cory cant prove himself if he is sitting on the bench after one bad game.

I know that they think they might have a starter in Cory, might being the key word, 1 is a proven elite goalie, the other is unproven at the highest level, he could be an NHL starter, but maybe not an elite one, so whoever is playing better should be playing no matter what, would you rather have Lu play and get us into the playoffs, or Cory play and we maybe miss the payoffs, there is no room for error in a short season, there isn't the time this season to have Cory work his way into feeling comfortable being a starting goalie in the NHL, 82 games yes, 48, no.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Schneider vs Calgary Wednesday
Luongo vs Anaheim Friday
Luongo vs San Jose Sunday
Schneider vs LA Monday

Luongo was alright vs the Oilers, although I'm sure he'd like that tying goal back. Schneider would like to have the 2nd period back against Anaheim. Go back to Schneider for Calgary, then give Luongo the next two. Then I'd start Schneider against LA for the same reason I would give Luongo the Anaheim start. AV has got to get them both warmed up. AV has to play them with the assumption that both will be sticking around this season until a trade actually happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad