Speculation: Which goalie will LA trade for?

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Um, going up against the best powerplay in NHL history and McDavid/Drai will do that. Stop being delusional.

Because nobody really can keep that line in check. Especially on the powerplay.
And may i ask why Kopitar is a -6 after a playoff series?
All the points we have pre season are highly inflated by playing in an AHL division

And how comes that an elite two-way player is not able to keep opponents top line in check?
He was utterly destroyed twice in 2 playoff rounds
Agree that McDrai is a handful but you guys are aware powerplay stats don't translate to +/- right? That still means Kopitar was a -6 at ES. Not great

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
- Dubois Kopitar Danault excellent centers
- Fiala Kempe with Moore Arvidsson and Byfield at wing
- Doughty Gavrikov Anderson excellent dmen to carry the load

This team looks like they will be a force come playoff time.
Other than PLD, it is essentially the same team (with worse goaltending) that were eliminated in the first round two consecutive seasons by the Oilers...The Oilers had an easier time with them last season, than the season before.

The team is still heavily reliant on two aging superstars...Playoff team ..yes..SC contender..no way.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As an oil fan... can we do a 3 way trade and we take Vlejmelka? You can have Campbell and Talbot... win win.lol.

Seriously though.. I'd be pissed if LA for vlejmelka... I think he would shine behind that lineup and LA plays hard against us.

Reactions: kinghock

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't get why any team without a superstar goalie isn't making a move for Hellebuyck

Even when the numbers don't add up, there's got to be a way that they do.

Heck even my Oilers are totally happy to roll the dice with our promising up and coming goalie Skinner, and for Campbell to bounce back, but if there is a trade for Helle, that'd be identity changing.

Edit: also Demko and Vlejmelka might not be available. Both those teams still want to at least try to win and there aren't rumors of them wanting out. Hellebuyck is the guy to get

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The nice part is that the Kings have options if they decide to acquire a netminder. I don't think they're at the point of needing a top tier netminder as they're growing and developing their core but if they can trade for a reliable netminder who'll still be in their prime when the team is ready, do that.

They do need to find quality netminding, even if it's just a stopgap at worst, because what they got right now, won't work.

I'll admit I'm on the weird side, but I don't see them moving the assets for Helle. A netminder at this point in the game doesn't suddenly make them a contender.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The nice part is that the Kings have options if they decide to acquire a netminder. I don't think they're at the point of needing a top tier netminder as they're growing and developing their core but if they can trade for a reliable netminder who'll still be in their prime when the team is ready, do that.

They do need to find quality netminding, even if it's just a stopgap at worst, because what they got right now, won't work.

I'll admit I'm on the weird side, but I don't see them moving the assets for Helle. A netminder at this point in the game doesn't suddenly make them a contender.
Eh I don’t think the kings are in the same place you do. This isn’t a young team. Their core is still mostly 30+ and late 20’s guys.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
super busy gotta make this fast for now...
it's Panarin for Doughty
Shesty for signif futures is sep deal probb a big package

If I remember correctly, bread and Dough [ha ha] are ballpark same $
but Panarin is younger and 1 yr less term
+ LAK deep at pivot still, a superior W could be work big

Rs have to listen to bern, lean less on vets, play youth, control cap etc
NYR is in a tough spot moving Panarin full NMC. Believe when he signed with NYR he was interested in Florida teams & LA too.

Kings don't really have the cap space to acquire him. Unlikely to trade a defender for a wing. That would put way too much money on the forwards & thin the D out while still not having a goalie.

Either Allen or DeSmith, or both if you want from Montréal

From an neutral pov tho, would Carter Hart for Danault + make sense for either team?
Don't see Danault being moved. That would put Lizotte back at 3C.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Either Allen or DeSmith, or both if you want from Montréal

From an neutral pov tho, would Carter Hart for Danault + make sense for either team?

I like Jake Allen, but is he a definitive upgrade over Talbot/Copley? DeSmith certainly isn't. I'd say Talbot/Allen are in a pretty similar echelon, both coming off bad years needing to bounce back. Difference being...$2.8M extra salary for Allen, which LAK can't afford. And Copley is the guy who saved their season last year. That'll buy him some leash, especially since he's still a fairly "young" goalie, in experience at least.

As far as Danault for Hart...no, that doesn't many any sense for either team. The Kings could use Hart, but not at the expense of gutting the extremely strong Center depth they've built. Not to mention, Danault's NMC. As for Philly...what do they want with a veteran Center who wouldn't want to be there and clearly isn't going to be part of the "future core" they're trying to build? Doesn't make any sense.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why would the Canucks trade their elite goalie to the divisional rival Kings..?

Talk about planning on shooting yourself in the foot.
If Pettersson refuses to extend, and the club starts off badly (again) then valuable pieces will be moved. Demko is on a great contract and would return a lot. Imo he could certainly be traded.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Pettersson refuses to extend, and the club starts off badly (again) then valuable pieces will be moved. Demko is on a great contract and would return a lot. Imo he could certainly be traded.
If the Canucks have a fire sale of all their elite players..then maybe there’s a discussion.

Is there an imminent chance Demko will be traded until then…?…He’s not a realistic option to be a Kings goalie anytime soon.

Reactions: biturbo19

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I don't get why any team without a superstar goalie isn't making a move for Hellebuyck

Even when the numbers don't add up, there's got to be a way that they do.

Heck even my Oilers are totally happy to roll the dice with our promising up and coming goalie Skinner, and for Campbell to bounce back, but if there is a trade for Helle, that'd be identity changing.

Edit: also Demko and Vlejmelka might not be available. Both those teams still want to at least try to win and there aren't rumors of them wanting out. Hellebuyck is the guy to get
If the Coyotes traded Vejmelka, it would be for a young defenseman, preferably LH.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If the kings are trading for a goalie, it's to be in a better competitive position. If they're competing they aren't trading Danault.

Reactions: biturbo19

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
At the end of day, goalies are hella random, so if I were running the Kings, I'd just take shots at acquiring young third-string goalies on the cheap/drafting goalies in the later rounds until one sticks

For example, they drafted Jonathan Quick in the third round and you could say that worked out for them

Reactions: kinghock

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
no future love/hope for clarke? thanks that's a much nicer post .. haha I always see your posts and its like 90 percent negative .. so just had to check if you like anything .. haha
The posts may sound more negative then they are.

I just have a black and white view of the NHL, the target is to win the Stanley Cup.
If for any reason the team can't archive that, burn it to the ground and start with people who want to be here and can get it done.
To do that i assign roles to position based on mathematics.
# 1 center 80+ points
Top 6 winger 30+ goals
Goalie 2v1 Win/Loss ratio
#1 Defender being able to shut down opponent top players

Now looking at the Kings roster, beside Kempe and Copley nobody is fulfilling their role.
This is why i hate all this patching and amateur our trading

The Kings would really benefit from getting rid of their past and start fresh.
This has been destroyed by resigning Kopitar and holding on to Doughty.

IMO opinion the the team should have already looked like this by now
Fagemo - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Vilardi - Khaliev
Grundstrom - Kupari - Arvidson

I would let the youngsters run wild and see where it goes.
While doing that picking up some more great picks like Clarke and then just add a crucial player right when needed.

Most of those guys are now gone or destroyed by 4th line duties and we still field Kopitar and Doughty, being destroyed 1st round since we don't even belong into the playoff.
How people see progress in that is far beyond me

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The Kings currently have the 12th youngest team out of the 32 teams.
Average age doesn’t tell the story. Their best players are all either mid 30’s or later 20’s. Their best forward is still Kopitar. Their best D man is still Doughty.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
The posts may sound more negative then they are.

I just have a black and white view of the NHL, the target is to win the Stanley Cup.
If for any reason the team can't archive that, burn it to the ground and start with people who want to be here and can get it done.
To do that i assign roles to position based on mathematics.
# 1 center 80+ points
Top 6 winger 30+ goals
Goalie 2v1 Win/Loss ratio
#1 Defender being able to shut down opponent top players

Now looking at the Kings roster, beside Kempe and Copley nobody is fulfilling their role.
This is why i hate all this patching and amateur our trading

The Kings would really benefit from getting rid of their past and start fresh.
This has been destroyed by resigning Kopitar and holding on to Doughty.

IMO opinion the the team should have already looked like this by now
Fagemo - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Vilardi - Khaliev
Grundstrom - Kupari - Arvidson

I would let the youngsters run wild and see where it goes.
While doing that picking up some more great picks like Clarke and then just add a crucial player right when needed.

Most of those guys are now gone or destroyed by 4th line duties and we still field Kopitar and Doughty, being destroyed 1st round since we don't even belong into the playoff.
How people see progress in that is far beyond me
according to your metrics .. Anze has only been a #1 center twice in his career ... I dont agree with that part .. but i agree with some of the rest of your post ... i mean not all of it, haha but some of it ... i agree we should have played the kids more .. thats mainly coaches fault I think .. but i have been on the fire Tmac campain since like year 2 haha

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Average age doesn’t tell the story. Their best players are all either mid 30’s or later 20’s. Their best forward is still Kopitar. Their best D man is still Doughty.

And they still get the most minutes and are both badly faded by the time the first round starts.

The Kings roster looks good at first glance because folks immediately look at the big names. But they can't hold leads because they don't have a soul who can kill time along the wall, keep their crease clear or establish a heavy forecheck. Those weak parts of their game were made worse by the Dubois trade.

The addition of Dubois sounds great, until you realize that the Kings always match Kopitar up against the oppositions best which leaves their best defensive units to play against the Kings secondary offensive unit. Come playoff time they are an easy out.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
At the end of day, goalies are hella random, so if I were running the Kings, I'd just take shots at acquiring young third-string goalies on the cheap/drafting goalies in the later rounds until one sticks

For example, they drafted Jonathan Quick in the third round and you could say that worked out for them
As a reference, Hellebyuck was drafted in the 5th round 130th overall.

And those players with longevity bring up the average age quite a lot. The average age of a roster does tell a story for where the team is positioned refardimg their future plans.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
according to your metrics .. Anze has only been a #1 center twice in his career ... I dont agree with that part .. but i agree with some of the rest of your post ... i mean not all of it, haha but some of it ... i agree we should have played the kids more .. thats mainly coaches fault I think .. but i have been on the fire Tmac campain since like year 2 haha
By the logic of looking at point totals Beegeron has been in the same low tier as Kopitar, but anyone with an understanding of the game should know better. They have been quite similar throughout their careers IMO. The difference is that Kopitar still has drive and health to keep playing at his level for a couple more seasons.

Reactions: tkb81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad