Which General Manager has been the most detrimental to the Leafs team today?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You JFJ guys are a bunch of knuckles. So much time has passed since then and you are channeling that. It makes no sense especially if you read the question. The damage was bad but tbh Giguere/Gus were good enough the problem is this teams defensive play.

Burke never addressed the need for a 1c and 2way Cs or strengthened us up the middle. He did one worse he kept a bad coach for our team to long and replaced him with one he thought would be better. That next year they made the playoffs with a Burke team.

After that team lost Nonis replaced 33% of the top 6, 33% of the checking line and 50% of the D. As of TODAY as the question states this team is far worse than last year in all respects. He undid Burkes below average work did not get proper C or complementary D personell, he got a useless winger etc.

So Nonis is by far the worst, even the cost of the buyouts and contracts are far worse than any screw any other made. By millions of hard dollars! Nobody comes close to how much of an idiot Nonis is.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It's looking more and more like the Burke/Nonis era will end in mediocrity.

And what's worse, will have lasting reppurcussions that will hamstring the team going forward.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Definitely Dave Nonis.

I've hated his over patience with assessing the roster. He's stood by the whole 82 games where we've played horrible and he signs David Clarkson to that albatross.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's looking more and more like the Burke/Nonis era will end in mediocrity.

And what's worse, will have lasting reppurcussions that will hamstring the team going forward.

What contracts did Burke do to cuff this team?

7x Clarkson - DN
7x Dion - DN
8x Kessel - DN
5x Lupul - DN

Liles was never a terrible player
Grabovski was never a terrible player
CMac was wanted at TDL
Dion has been wanted

So really Burke left us with Komisarek and Grabo had a coach issue but went back on to 50-60 pt pace this year. Who else?

Nonis cuffed the team and maxed the cap.

End of Story.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Steen & Carlo for Stempiak.

Steen trade hindsight looks like a bad one. He wasn't producing. He played with Sundin during his first two years. We needed a top 6 goal scorer badly. Stempniak was coming off ( at least the year before ) from a 27 goal and he was only 26 at the time.

Carlo was always injured.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
All had their hand in where were are right now, But frankly I'm more interested in how we go about fixing the team rather than looking back and shelling out blame.

I think personally think Morrison has been under serviced in terms of quality of picks that have been moved out, So I wouldn't have a issue with him staying(despite people complaining he doesn't get a Jaime Benn every draft). St.Croix and Underhill are fine; But aside from that, Everyone should be under review IMO.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What contracts did Burke do to cuff this team?

7x Clarkson - DN
7x Dion - DN
8x Kessel - DN
5x Lupul - DN

Liles was never a terrible player
Grabovski was never a terrible player
CMac was wanted at TDL
Dion has been wanted

So really Burke left us with Komisarek and Grabo had a coach issue but went back on to 50-60 pt pace this year. Who else?

Nonis cuffed the team and maxed the cap.

End of Story.

What do you you think Burke would have done differently with DP-PK-JL ? Burke started us down this path to no where and unfortunately Nonis didn't have the brains/balls to change course .

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
JFJ. He actually left this team not just a disaster on the NHL level, but we had no prospects either. It took Burke 4 years to make this team formidable and he gets no credit for it. Nonis is #2, Fletch #3.

formidable? :amazed:

when burke took over, HF had the leafs at around 17thin prospect rankings.

Schenn, Gunnar, Grabs, Kulemin, Reimer were notable prospects / rookies that year.

When burke left (2012-13) the leafs were ranked 20th, and that's with the benefit of 4 top 10 draft position finishes, and the team had 10's of millions more cap used, and had a worse record.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
All had their hand in where were are right now, But frankly I'm more interested in how we go about fixing the team rather than looking back and shelling out blame.

I think personally think Morrison has been under serviced in terms of quality of picks that have been moved out, So I wouldn't have a issue with him staying(despite people complaining he doesn't get a Jaime Benn every draft). St.Croix and Underhill are fine; But aside from that, Everyone should be under review IMO.

while Underhill is certainly a gifted skater and instructor - even that move was odd.

The leafs fired Graham Townshend who was the leafs training / power skating coach (he was the former player development coordinator for the sharks working with players and prospects on skating in the new NHL post CBA) and replaced him with a non-hockey coach that could only perform one role well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JFJ. He actually left this team not just a disaster on the NHL level, but we had no prospects either. It took Burke 4 years to make this team formidable and he gets no credit for it. Nonis is #2, Fletch #3.

Burke gets plenty of credit for the current state of the team.

#TeamEpicCollapse

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What do you you think Burke would have done differently with DP-PK-JL ? Burke started us down this path to no where and unfortunately Nonis didn't have the brains/balls to change course .

The point is not to sit here and speculate, we are dealing with what was done.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
sorry i didnt understand the question, i voted for Burke cause most impact on the team

anyways Brian Burke actually GAVE US PLAYERS LOL
before Burke we had like Jason Blake... and people who dont even play anymore

Kessel
Lupul
JVR...
Kadri
Gardiner ... Bozie

keystone guys

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im shocked that people think David Clarkson is the worst thing to have happened to this team in the past decade.

I mean.......really? Trading away Vezina calibre goaltending? Trading away first round picks like candy? Trading away Selke level two way play?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
sorry i didnt understand the question, i voted for Burke cause most impact on the team

anyways Brian Burke actually GAVE US PLAYERS LOL
before Burke we had like Jason Blake... and people who dont even play anymore

Kessel
Lupul
JVR...
Kadri
Gardiner ... Bozie

keystone guys

That's right, he gave us legit players and Nonis made bad contracts, bad signings and bad buyouts.

You should have voted for Nonis but it's ok. JFJ was working under instructions to not blow up the team so he scrambled and made mistakes. It's not all to his fault.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Which General Manager has been the most detrimental to the Leafs team today?

John Ferguson Jr.: Notable for Tuuka Rask trade

Cliff Fletcher (Interim): Notable for trading Steen and Colaiacovo for Stempniak

Brian Burke: Notable for Kessel trade

Dave Nonis: Notable for Clarkson signing

Clarkson is still a capable player who just doesn't mesh with the current team's system (or lack thereof).

I think without question it should be Cliff Fletcher (reloaded) not only because of his trade of Steen + Colaiacovo for Stempniak, but he also signed Jeff Finger to that idiotic contract, AND his dismantling of the Muskoka 5 set this team back HUGE when you look back at how everything played out.

Losing Sundin for nothing, having to buy out Tucker (who is still on the books this season!), running McCabe out of town... I mean, really, when you think about it, had that simply not happened, and had Burke inherited a team that still had an aging Sundin, McCabe, Tucker, Steen, Colaiacovo...

Who knows... I just think that Burke would've been able to assemble a better team than the current stock in a much quicker time period. And having Sundin retire a Leaf, after first being able to pass on some good experience to the "next guy" whether it was Phaneuf or whomever, also would have been invaluable service to our current team.

Fletcher may have been instrumental in assembling one of the greatest Leafs teams in recent memory, he was also responsible for upheaving another great leafs roster in as controversially opposite a way as imagineable.

At least JFjr left us with some good prospects. TBH if there was a chance to bring JFjr back as head of scouting, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
JF jr made things bad and Fletcher made them worse. I'll go with Gramps as his task was considerably easier and he still failed miserably.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I'll go with Burke due to the current trajectory of the team. He was the one who put us on the path we are currently on with the 'fast rebuild/retool' of the team. He made some good trades while he was here (Gardiner/Lupul, Phaneuf, and JVR) but ultimately it was his decision that put us where we are. He could have made all of those trades and still not made the Kessel deal. While Kessel is a great player, he is not what this team needs and he is what is preventing a full scale rebuild. He is also the player we currently are building our team around: a team which lacks quality centremen, top-end d-men and two-way forwards.

We could right now have a team that boasts Seguin, Hamilton, Phaneuf, JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Lupul, Gunnarsson and Rielly. As well, we might have been even worse without Kessel so there's a good chance that Seguin, Hamilton, Kadri and Rielly could all have been higher picks than they currently are (perhaps not Seguin).

hockeyfanz*

6/7 Quinn years we made the playoffs and twice made the conference finals... that's a joke saying Pat Quinn.

Pat Quinn teams would have destroyed these Leafs. Yes answering Pat Quinn is a joke but so is a lot of Leafs Nation..Please. After what this team has shown over the course of the last 3 seasons..there are still mouthpieces flapping their gums here when they are eyeballs deep in SH1TE.
Still defending the previous horrible manager. Blaming the current manager. Blaming managers from a decade ago.

Sometimes its just an embarrassment being a Leafs fan. Actually most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad