Which front office changes do you want to see ?

What changes you want to see ?

• No changes, keep everyone as is

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Fire Jarmo, keep Vincent

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Keep Jarmo, hire a new coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Jarmo, hire a new coach

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Complete front office overhaul

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Meh it just keeps things entertaining until the hockey starts :laugh:. Not my money and if nothing else really puts added pressure on management to do something positive. Plus we finally get to see what Vincent can do after I wanted him before the Babcock hire

Excellent point! Maybe this is the fire that will light the asses.

Reactions: Fred Glover

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I voted no further changes for now. It's not the time to get emotional, it's time to focus on the season. As I've said for almost a year, Jarmo will get his judgement based on how this season goes. He needs this team to be playing meaningful hockey at a minimum in April.

I had no problem with the hiring of Babcock and I have no problem with the firing of Babcock, assuming there was something serious revealed in the call between the NHL/NHLPA and JD.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
As unpopular this may be, I voted keep everyone in place. But that vote is for this year only. To fire Jarmo (and possibly JD) now would be more disruption that can be absorbed. I agree with McConnell on this.

I’ll let Jarmo play out his hand this season. But at seasons end a complete evaluation is needed. I have no interest in promoting Nash at this time and I’m not all in on Flynn. I might have a more aggressive stance if Zito (or McFarlane) were still here.
This is where I am right now.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I thought about doing a similar poll but with different vote options:

1. Keep JD and Jarmo until the end of their deals (2025)
2. Keep JD until 2025, release Jarmo after this season
3. Fire both after this year
4. Keep JD for now, fire Jarmo as soon as you've found a replacement
5. Fire both as soon as you've found replacements
6. Fire both now

I would have voted #3.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Jarmo and JD are now responsible for Vincent's success, if that fails to materialize then fire everyone at season's end. If they deliver then all is well that ends well.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Keep Vincent. Let's see what he can do. Bring in a veteran assistant coach. Remove JD and Jarmo. Do NOT promote Rick Nash.

And finally, and probably most importantly, remove the common denominator on this staff that's been here for 23+ years of mostly losing hockey. Mike Priest, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

I remember Priest bringing up the topic of arena’s curse (still in the playoff games with Pittsburgh). I wouldn’t touch him if this problem isn’t solved (the pandemic probably messed up plans) :sarcasm:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Assuming the timetable is "now", no further changes.
Future assessments cannot be made until future data are gathered.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I voted to blow it up, but understand that's not possible, but my "want" is a fresh start with different eyes and minds calling the shots.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
As I said before, because of how close to the season it is, keep everyone. If they aren't at least close to the playoff picture at the deadline, let Jarmo work though the deadline, then give him the boot. JD probably should go to, but I can see an argument to keep him.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
As an outsider, why does JD, President seem to get a pass over Jarmo? Jarmo has had some wins and losses, but so do all GMs. I like the fact he has stuck the a rebuild, but also added players to make the team successful.

To me you seem to have a great foundation (prospect pool). Lots of young kids looking to make an impact.

Basically, I can see what Jarmo has done, but I can't tell you what JD has done, outside of some nepotism, to make the team successful. Again, outside point of view, but they are my favorite eastern team.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
As an outsider, why does JD, President seem to get a pass over Jarmo? Jarmo has had some wins and losses, but so do all GMs. I like the fact he has stuck the a rebuild, but also added players to make the team successful.

To me you seem to have a great foundation (prospect pool). Lots of young kids looking to make an impact.

Basically, I can see what Jarmo has done, but I can't tell you what JD has done, outside of some nepotism, to make the team successful. Again, outside point of view, but they are my favorite eastern team.
I think my personal ideal outcome is for JD to retire after this season, Jarmo to move up to President, and for them to bring in a new GM from outside.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
No retirements, no. No one will leave the family. JD will move to the position of senior vice President otherwise the owner will be sad at parties :sarcasm::sarcasm:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think my personal ideal outcome is for JD to retire after this season, Jarmo to move up to President, and for them to bring in a new GM from outside.
I’m curious as to the qualities that makes you feel would make him a good candidate for the president role. I’m not trying to be a smart ass but ask as I serous question as he strikes me as a GM qualities more than team president.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
How can you expect any accountability with the players if there is no accountability for management?

Someone needs to be fired immediately.

If you think you have the next GM in the building, you fire JD and Jarmo and make your guy the interim GM and evaluate his performance.

If you are unsure of the next GM you fire either Jarmo or JD immediately. You keep the other one around until near the end of the season for “stability” and then you let him go. You tell him he cannot make trades or signings without written permission from ownership.

When you announce the firing of JD and/or Jarmo you say the well being of the players is the #1 goal of the franchise.

The punishment for hiring Babcock cannot be just firing Babcock. That is so unprofessional.

Personally I would fire JD now and near the end of the season I would start cleaning house. This was a screw up of colossal proportions that put players in harm’s way. It is not being treated as such.

Reactions: NotWendell

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I’m curious as to the qualities that makes you feel would make him a good candidate for the president role. I’m not trying to be a smart ass but ask as I serous question as he strikes me as a GM qualities more than team president.
I think Jarmo is best in a scouting/hockey ops role. President of Hockey Ops? Where he doesn’t have to be the one negotiating with agents and other GMs and can focus on the existant roster and system? Seems ideal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How can you expect any accountability with the players if there is no accountability for management?

Someone needs to be fired immediately.

If you think you have the next GM in the building, you fire JD and Jarmo and make your guy the interim GM and evaluate his performance.

If you are unsure of the next GM you fire either Jarmo or JD immediately. You keep the other one around until near the end of the season for “stability” and then you let him go. You tell him he cannot make trades or signings without written permission from ownership.

When you announce the firing of JD and/or Jarmo you say the well being of the players is the #1 goal of the franchise.

The punishment for hiring Babcock cannot be just firing Babcock. That is so unprofessional.

Personally I would fire JD now and near the end of the season I would start cleaning house. This was a screw up of colossal proportions that put players in harm’s way. It is not being treated as such.
And this assessment is obviously 100% logical and objective and has nothing to do with your having been calling for Kekalainen's head in every other post you've made for the last four months at least.

Reactions: Marioesque

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

"Fire one and keep the other one for stability" isn't necessarily the best approach. The one staying until the season's end could be wondering if his days in the org are numbered as well, and that would affect his work ethic. I don't want this team to be lead by an even lousier and incohesive front office than what it is today.

Some core or future core players could also view that move as hasty, overreactive, and therefore bad attempt to polish the facade of the franchise, which would lead players to lose trust in this organisation's patience and ability to build a winner.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet because

1) Babcock got fired
2) Both Jarmo and JD admitted they made a mistake and apologized.
3) The guy replacing Babcock doesn't carry a history of mistreating people, we are only hearing positive stuff about Vincent.
4) In Monday's statement the ownership didn't rule out the possibility of house cleaning within the next few months. There's nothing confirming that Jarmo and JD are allowed to continue working beyond this season.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
FO is finally close to finish their rebuild/retool which on paper looks pretty good with some huge question marks on goaltending and now also on coaching.

They should have 1-2 years to show what they have got.

Reactions: Marioesque

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I cannot find any reason whatsoever to keep jd or jk around. They should not be any part of this future in any way, shape or form, so I see no reason to keep them here from this point on. give interim tags to people in the organization and start to external search, and who knows, you may have a diamond in the rough in the organization. im adding Priest to chopping block as well, but we know McConnell isn’t smart enough to do that. This franchise has been, and continues to be a laughing stock, it’s already hard enough to get FA, in light of current events, keeping them around only makes it more difficult.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
They should have 1-2 years to show what they have got.
There have been so many bad decisions in the last two years that I don't even care if they managed to meet the goals and expectations set for this season. They simply don't deserve to get another opportunity imo. My list of bad moves by Jarmo after the Jones trade would at least include:

Bean trade
Hiring Larsen and not even interviewing Shaw
Domi trade
Bjorkstrand trade
Rushing Sillinger
Erik "#1 FA target" Gudbranson
1-2 years too many on Laine's extension
8 years for Severson
Not trading Korpisalo earlier
Not listening to offers regarding Jenner
Unwilling to send young and unproven players to Cleveland to develop
Not hiring enough experienced developmental coaches for Cleveland
Not tanking hard enough at the end of last season
Thinking Smith > Carlsson pre-draft (unconfirmed if true)
A bit odd draft choices this year past 1st round
Inability to give impression that they have a clear and smart vision on roster construction
Babcock blunder

Ideal time to fire them is likely next spring. I wouldn't do it now because I'm afraid it could damage the integrity of the team even more as they're trying to prepare for new season.

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
And this assessment is obviously 100% logical and objective and has nothing to do with your having been calling for Kekalainen's head in every other post you've made for the last four months at least.

I have wanted to clean house for two years.

I have also worked in a toxic work environment.

The people who have created a toxic environment for young kids in Columbus are not being punished. That blows my mind. That says ownership values a leadership team that has made it past the first round of the playoffs once in their very long tenure more than our recent draft choices. There will be repercussions.

When I worked in a toxic work environment it took me a long time to realize the couple of asshats who treated underlings like crap werent the only problems. Plenty of enabling by other people allowed the behavior that should have been completely unacceptable. Once I realized that, I was gone even though it was a big company where I might have eventually done very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad