Which Forwards Have Become 1st Liners, which lost it?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Laine has proved that he's a 1st line high quality winger instead of high end goal-scoring 2nd line winger
Tell that to Paul Maurice who's moved him to the 2nd line again. In the past 8 games Laine has not played 20 minutes or more a single time, despite having 29 games this season with at least 20 minutes of ice time. His icetime is being cut again while the Jets are fighting for a playoff spot. It's pretty clear at this point that Laine needs to get out of Winnipeg if he wants to save his career...

Reactions: SenzZen

RSPens

May 25, 2015
This thread definitely needs more Bryan Rust...but I guess people only consider him a second liner. However, if Geno/Rust went cold, I'd love to see the new Rust playing beside Sid.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
There’s this guy Denis Gurianov who leads his team in goals but can’t even get top-6 mins.

edit : he’s not but should be top line mins.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Zach Hyman took his game to another level this year. We weren't kidding for years when we moaned about how bad his hands were and how he never finished on his chances. This year he's completely turned around and is burying everything and is massively confident with the puck. He used to just swat at pucks in corners, but now he'll win battles, gather the puck, and search the ice for a pass. He doesn't have great hands or vision, but his incredible work ethic combined with some confidence and a scoring touch has made him an incredibly effective player. 21g, 37p in 48 games this year and he's earned them all.

4 of his 21g are empty netters, and he has 2 EN assists as well. Getting rid of the empty netters would have him on pace for 29g this year. With them he's on pace for 36! (He missed 19gp at the start of the season)

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Before this year Konecny was pretty mediocre so that seems about right
No.
Not like TK is having some "enormous" 5v5 uptick that is unsustainable either:

16-17 (age 19): 0.42 G/60, 1.55 P/60
17-18 (age 20): 1.22 G/60, 2.26 P/60
18-19 (age 21): 1.00 G/60, 2.11 P/60
19-20 (age 22): 1.31 G/60, 2.41 P/60

He has been scoring at 1st line level at 5v5 (and close to elite in terms of pure goalscoring) since 2017-18.

Over ~1.9 P/60 is generally ~1st line level.

Since the start of 2017-18 TK is:

10th in NHL in 5v5 G/60 (1.16)
30th in NHL in 5v5 P/60 (2.25)

All that has happened is he is getting more ice time, getting PP1 time... and is getting even stronger and reading game better.
He is 1st liner three seasons already.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
For the second question, take your pick out of any of the Predators big forwards. Forsberg, Duchene, Arvidsson, and Johansen have all basically become second liners this year after showing flashes at various points that they could be first liners.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Zibanejad if that counts. He had a big season last year but doing it two years in a row I feel like firmly establishes himself as top line 1C.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
@JoeThorntonsRooster Konecny is a 3rd liner.

I mean, I said before this season started that both of his coaches had previously used him as a 2nd/3rd line tweener, and that he had posted such terrible underlying metrics that there was really no argument that he was a 1st liner at that point.

This season, he’s playing closer to 1st line minutes, and more importantly he’s doing quite well on both sides of the puck.

upload_2020-3-5_7-22-40.png

I don’t really have an issue with somebody calling him a 1st liner at this point - he’s actually a good example for this thread.

Reactions: Dooble08

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hall?

On a 62 point pace in Arizona over 82 games.

Was on a similar pace in NJ.

Combining both he is pacing for 65 points.

Last year he had injury trouble and was out most of the year so hard to say how that would have gone. Year before was his Hart year. But I would argue that he has regressed back to his career average in NJ and Edmonton this year where most of the time he was a 40-60 point winger.

He only had two standout years. His Hart year and 80 points in 73 in Edmonton one year. I'd argue he is a 2nd line winger.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
If you include D, Jake Gardiner comes to mind off the hop. He was argued a lot to be a top pairing D leading up to free agency... Nope
He plays on Carolina.. he’s 1st pair imo on some other teams, he’s actually decent two-way. he’s not placed in a good role w/ carolina

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Alex Burrows was a career third liner at best. Then he became a first liner with the Sedins. But maybe he owes all of his success to them. Who knows.

This season? What about Strome on the Rangers?

I’m not sure anyone on the Rangers board sees Strome as a 1st-liner, he’s pretty well-insulated by Panarin/Zibanejad.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Larkin has regressed but first line center was always a little on the hopeful end. Doesn’t help that Mantha was hurt all year and he has no help from his D.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hall?

On a 62 point pace in Arizona over 82 games.

Was on a similar pace in NJ.

Combining both he is pacing for 65 points.

Last year he had injury trouble and was out most of the year so hard to say how that would have gone. Year before was his Hart year. But I would argue that he has regressed back to his career average in NJ and Edmonton this year where most of the time he was a 40-60 point winger.

He only had two standout years. His Hart year and 80 points in 73 in Edmonton one year. I'd argue he is a 2nd line winger.
Na, 65 pts from the second line would be awesome. But even in a high scoring year like last season, 65 points was in around the top 60 mark. Not elite, but first line winger numbers for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad