Which Forwards Have Become 1st Liners, which lost it?

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Obviously its opinion based to judge a forward a 1st liner, but as the league has evolved, players have changed.
I was motivated to make this thread after seeing Tatars Stat's and Domi's Stats this season.

I dont watch Montreal Canadiens games. In my Mind Tatar was a 2nd liner and Domi was a 1st liner. But looking at stats, it seems like it switched.

Which forwards have proved themselves as a 1st line quality player?
Which forwards have played themselves out of the 1st line?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If you include D, Jake Gardiner comes to mind off the hop. He was argued a lot to be a top pairing D leading up to free agency... Nope

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Laine has proved that he's a 1st line high quality winger instead of high end goal-scoring 2nd line winger

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Montreal:

I think Tatar is still a second-liner at heart, but he is the only thing resembling a 1st liner scoring-wise this year. Maybe Gallagher.

Domi is all over the place. I think he has 1st line upside, but he usually looks like a tweener these days.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Alex Burrows was a career third liner at best. Then he became a first liner with the Sedins. But maybe he owes all of his success to them. Who knows.

This season? What about Strome on the Rangers?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Alex Iafallo plays on the first line, if that's what you mean. So does Dustin Brown though. Poor Kopitar.

Reactions: Merrrlin

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Timo Meier has not been himself most of this year. I have no doubt hell turn it around, but overall has not been first line quality this year

Reactions: Phu

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If you include D, Jake Gardiner comes to mind off the hop. He was argued a lot to be a top pairing D leading up to free agency... Nope

Lol by who?

70% of the Leafs fanbase thought he was absolute trash and the other 30% thought he was a very good 2nd pairing defender. Some people thought he should be played with Rielly or have his usage shuffled around but I don't think anyone who wasn't trolling or fanboying ever called him a top pairing defenseman with a straight face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad