Player Discussion Which forward would you waive?

Who would you waive?

• Hoffman

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • Armia

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Depending on what happens with Allen. We may see a 3 headed monster and Primeau in Montreal.

I don’t think Montreal would keep 3 goalies on the 23 player roster. I’m not sure I’ve seen a team do that. Having 2 goalies not playing a night isn’t ideal.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don’t think Montreal would keep 3 goalies on the 23 player roster. I’m not sure I’ve seen a team do that. Having 2 goalies not playing a night isn’t ideal.
With current trend for goalies to split, who knows if we don't see goalies take full practices off. Also we saw Hughes keep Pezzetta a large portion of the year on the roster in fear of losing for nothing so unless they don't count Primeau as an asset, I doubt they risk trying to slip him through waivers.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
As the unofficial #1 hater of Mike Hoffman given how my last thread went and how I seemed to be in the minority with my idea of buying out his final year of contract. In a scenario where the following 12 players are your forwards:
1. Caufield
2. Suzuki
3. Dach
4. Gallagher
5. Monahan
6. Evans
7. Dvorak
8. Anderson
9. Slafkovsky
10. RHP
11. Ylonen
12. Pezzetta

Which of these two forwards would you waive and send to Laval between Joel Armia and Mike Hoffman?

Personally, I would lean on Armia and not for the obvious reasons of trying to maximize Hoffman's value (because I believe there won't be any suitors for a guy who can barely produce at half a point per game rate despite having soft minutes and plenty of PP time but I digress...). The reason why I'd waive Armia instead is for one: I think he'd be a better fit in Laval not only from a chemistry standpoint (I don't see Armia being the type of player to pout and become toxic unlike say Hoffman) but I also think he'd be a good mentor in the line-up to help some of our rookies like Heineman, Roy etc. but he can also play anywhere without hurting J-F Houle's decision making. Heck, who knows maybe it'd be the type of thing that could be beneficial for his confidence and him re-finding his game. Kind of like Luke Schenn where he rebuilt his game and came back stronger.

What are your thoughts? Who would you waive if that's the starting line up we are looking at?
I want both of them gone but Hughes won't, it would just lower their value more than it is already, and who else do you put in the top 6 if Monahan becomes 3C? RHP is likely to be in the top 6 and looks like he will be Gallagher 2.0 but could price him out of a bottom six role. The team has a mish mash of young players and not ideal veterans being put in spots they don't belong. I don't envy Hughes job right now, decisions could be very hard.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
MSL loves Hoffman it is what it is

Ylonen/HP could easily take his spot on the PP.

Worst PP again next year? At least no more Droumanov.

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
Armia. I would waive him once a week just for fun.

At least, Hoffman's contract ends after this year and should be gone by the deadline or sooner. While I'm not expecting anything more than a 6th round pick (if that), some random near bust prospect or even future considerations, some GM will fool himself into thinking Hoffman is the answer for scoring depth in the playoffs, kind of like Dadonov was last year.

But really, waive both, cross your fingers and hope at least 1 of them is claimed.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
we also have Kidney/Roy/Heineman/Farrell, i'm sure at least 1 of them will make the roster, maybe even Heineman + Farrell

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The Habs have a very interesting situation with maybe some interest in their RFAs to have them re-sign. Already, if I’m not mistaken, we have 28 players under contract for the nhl roster (includes CP). The Habs undeniably need to make moves to remove players they don’t need for this season. Signing Monahan was a good move but doesn’t help the logjam the team has at both forward and D.

Players to waive: Armia (buyout), Hoffman, Wideman. Then we have the Gallagher problem. Edmundson, Pitlick, Dvorak, Anderson to be traded if it means an upgrade to key top6 forwards come in. On D i know we need top end talent, not sure the Habs have assets to trade for that type of player.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Pezzetta, he should have never been resigned, he singled handedly cost us the 4OA pick. Not a team guy, get rid of him.
Laughtingoutloud Emoticon

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Both will be either injured or in the lineup. I expect by the end of October, they will be calling up guys from Laval to fill in for injured players. We've had the last 2 years to see how this usually goes.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
If we use a buyout on Armia the caphit is under 1.5m for the next four years, giving savings in the first two years and a small expense (relative to the cap which is expected to explode) in the later two years. As per below:
1687769411771.png

If we use a buyout on Hoffman the caphit is also under 2m but only for the next two years. As per below:

1687769458586.png

Savings of 6.6m next year, then 0.7m, then a cap loss of 1.4m in year 3 and in year4. I feel like this is a good deal and with the extra 6m we have, for next season it can be sold at a high premium to competitive teams desperate for cap breathing room. It's not like the Habs are competing next season anyway, and after that it's likely the cap will go up big time which renders the meager 1.4m in dead cap worthwhile.

The question is if the assets we get for selling cap space in 2023-2024 + the cost of replacement players is worth the 1.4m in dead cap for two years. I think yes. We could get a real premium asset for 6m in cap space sold -- another Bjorkstrand (solid middle6 player) or Monahan IN ADDITION TO about 10m to spend in our expected cap space.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
None because i would put Slaf in the AHL Pezzeta goes 13th forward as Armia plays and Hoffman rotate with a kid or someone doing nothing

I want both of them gone but Hughes won't, it would just lower their value more than it is already, and who else do you put in the top 6 if Monahan becomes 3C? RHP is likely to be in the top 6 and looks like he will be Gallagher 2.0 but could price him out of a bottom six role. The team has a mish mash of young players and not ideal veterans being put in spots they don't belong. I don't envy Hughes job right now, decisions could be very hard.
RHP's place is not in the top 6 , if so this team has terrible problems in the next years

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Pezzetta, he should have never been resigned, he singled handedly cost us the 4OA pick. Not a team guy, get rid of him.
Laughtingoutloud Emoticon
That’s funny 😄, love a good dose of humor early in the morning! Well done brother!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If we use a buyout on Armia the caphit is under 1.5m for the next four years, giving savings in the first two years and a small expense (relative to the cap which is expected to explode) in the later two years. As per below:
View attachment 721313

If we use a buyout on Hoffman the caphit is also under 2m but only for the next two years. As per below:

View attachment 721314

Savings of 6.6m next year, then 0.7m, then a cap loss of 1.4m in year 3 and in year4. I feel like this is a good deal and with the extra 6m we have, for next season it can be sold at a high premium to competitive teams desperate for cap breathing room. It's not like the Habs are competing next season anyway, and after that it's likely the cap will go up big time which renders the meager 1.4m in dead cap worthwhile.

The question is if the assets we get for selling cap space in 2023-2024 + the cost of replacement players is worth the 1.4m in dead cap for two years. I think yes. We could get a real premium asset for 6m in cap space sold -- another Bjorkstrand (solid middle6 player) or Monahan IN ADDITION TO about 10m to spend in our expected cap space.
Armia and Hoffman are going to be a couple of warm bodies next year. We aren’t going shopping for anything huge to set anything up next year.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Armia and Hoffman are going to be a couple of warm bodies next year. We aren’t going shopping for anything huge to set anything up next year.
Armia (3.4) + Hoffman (4.5) - their buyout cost next year = 7.9 - 1.2 = 6.7m in cap space in the up coming season. Subtract 1.5m for the replacement of one of them, that's 5.2m cap space to sign the replacement of the other one. We can sell that to acquire another Sean Monahan or Oliver Bjorkstrand and some futures. By the season after the cap is going to rise substantially, I see a lot of upside if we get good futures out of this situation.

I'm firmly in the buyout both players camp.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Armia (3.4) + Hoffman (4.5) - their buyout cost next year = 7.9 - 1.2 = 6.7m in cap space in the up coming season. Subtract 1.5m for the replacement of one of them, that's 5.2m cap space to sign the replacement of the other one. We can sell that to acquire another Sean Monahan or Oliver Bjorkstrand and some futures. By the season after the cap is going to rise substantially, I see a lot of upside if we get good futures out of this situation.

I'm firmly in the buyout both players camp.
I think HuGo wants to have as much of Bergevin’s monstrosity gone by 24/25. I don’t think they’re too worried about it for this coming season. We’ve been collecting picks for a few years now, I think their main forcus is getting their cap flexibility back as normal as possible as opposed to picking up a few extra picks. I can see a possible Armia buyout next June if we start to transition out of the basement, but there’s no reason to rush it this season. Hoffman they’ll just run the clock out on.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
To be honest I don't think it matters at all, both will pass through waivers and there will be injuries so they'll end up playing a number of NHL games anyways. It's like Pitlick last year, was send down after training camp but still played 46 NHL games.

I think Hoffman down and Armia up is better for the young guys development but I can see the case for the opposite. What's better for their development a more talented linemate that can help them produce, or someone who can take on the hard minutes allowing the young guys to be more sheltered?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Armia for me, such a waste of what could be a good NHL career, enough talent and size to be a consistent 20 goal scorer but no desire to match. He is the most frustrating player to watch on the current roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad