Player Discussion Which forward would you waive?

Who would you waive?

• Hoffman

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • Armia

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
As the unofficial #1 hater of Mike Hoffman given how my last thread went and how I seemed to be in the minority with my idea of buying out his final year of contract. In a scenario where the following 12 players are your forwards:
1. Caufield
2. Suzuki
3. Dach
4. Gallagher
5. Monahan
6. Evans
7. Dvorak
8. Anderson
9. Slafkovsky
10. RHP
11. Ylonen
12. Pezzetta

Which of these two forwards would you waive and send to Laval between Joel Armia and Mike Hoffman?

Personally, I would lean on Armia and not for the obvious reasons of trying to maximize Hoffman's value (because I believe there won't be any suitors for a guy who can barely produce at half a point per game rate despite having soft minutes and plenty of PP time but I digress...). The reason why I'd waive Armia instead is for one: I think he'd be a better fit in Laval not only from a chemistry standpoint (I don't see Armia being the type of player to pout and become toxic unlike say Hoffman) but I also think he'd be a good mentor in the line-up to help some of our rookies like Heineman, Roy etc. but he can also play anywhere without hurting J-F Houle's decision making. Heck, who knows maybe it'd be the type of thing that could be beneficial for his confidence and him re-finding his game. Kind of like Luke Schenn where he rebuilt his game and came back stronger.

What are your thoughts? Who would you waive if that's the starting line up we are looking at?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cournoyer12

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Attachments

• ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif
    ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As the unofficial #1 hater of Mike Hoffman given how my last thread went and how I seemed to be in the minority with my idea of buying out his final year of contract. In a scenario where the following 12 players are your forwards:
1. Caufield
2. Suzuki
3. Dach
4. Gallagher
5. Monahan
6. Evans
7. Dvorak
8. Anderson
9. Slafkovsky
10. RHP
11. Ylonen
12. Pezzetta

Which of these two forwards would you waive and send to Laval between Joel Armia and Mike Hoffman?

Personally, I would lean on Armia and not for the obvious reasons of trying to maximize Hoffman's value (because I believe there won't be any suitors for a guy who can barely produce at half a point per game rate despite having soft minutes and plenty of PP time but I digress...). The reason why I'd waive Armia instead is for one: I think he'd be a better fit in Laval not only from a chemistry standpoint (I don't see Armia being the type of player to pout and become toxic unlike say Hoffman) but I also think he'd be a good mentor in the line-up to help some of our rookies like Heineman, Roy etc. but he can also play anywhere without hurting J-F Houle's decision making. Heck, who knows maybe it'd be the type of thing that could be beneficial for his confidence and him re-finding his game. Kind of like Luke Schenn where he rebuilt his game and came back stronger.

What are your thoughts? Who would you waive if that's the starting line up we are looking at?

It's a good issue to discuss.

But there will be more moves. So better to discuss it again once the team is made.

For now my answer is: both. I don't want MSL giving them ice time over young guys like RHP, Ylonen, Heineman, I even prefer Belzile.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Because he's having trouble keeping up with Pezzetta in the scoring goals department.
For one
Okay and what is the positive of sending a guy like him to the AHL not only in the room but also for any potential way to get out of his deal? Gallagher showed enough down the stretch to not get Andrew Ladd'd.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Okay and what is the positive of sending a guy like him to the AHL not only in the room but also for any potential way to get out of his deal? Gallagher showed enough down the stretch to not get Andrew Ladd'd.
Fair enough from your point of view.
Myself I voted Hoffman,
I was giving the other poster his potential reason for bringing up the name Gallagher for this situation.

Another reason would of been possible durability and injury history and salary hindrance but, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole today thanks lol.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Fair enough from your point of view.
Myself I voted Hoffman,
I was giving the other poster his potential reason for bringing up the name Gallagher for this situation.

Another reason would of been possible durability and injury history and salary hindrance but, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole today thanks lol.
Without going down that rabbit hole how is a player that gets injured in AHL viewed for NHL teams as far as cap ramifications?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Since the Habs will most likely carry 14 forwards, 7 defencemen, and 2 goalies I’d keep Armia and Hoffman as the 13th and 14th forwards. They can be 2 of the 3 healthy scratches on most nights.

Reactions: SOLR and 26Mats

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If it was possible I would have waived Gallagher.
We have a few candidates............I perfectly understand why you say Gally, he has been beyond awful the last few seasons....................such an awful contract.

They may buy him out at some point, but no way do they waive him................it's gonna be Hoffman and when no one touches him, hopefully a couple of the kids have good camps and he can go to Laval.

Reactions: the

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Armia might be frustrating because he should be able to produce more since he has the abilities to be the amongst the best player on the ice on any given night but even when he isn’t he isn’t a negative in the ice, he is reliable defensively and is hard to play against protecting or stealing pucks, is contract isn’t awful compared to other vet in the league. Hoffman if he isn’t scoring he just a waste of space I rather see Drouin than Hoffman.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
1. Caufield
2. Suzuki
3. Dach
4. Gallagher
5. Monahan
6. Evans
7. Dvorak
8. Anderson
9. Slafkovsky
10. RHP
11. Ylonen
12. Pezzetta

You know we need 14 forwards right? At any given time 1-2 are injured and Hoffman/Armia are still in our top 14. That's a problem if we want to compete sure, but right now it's not a problem at all. I rather play them, than have Roy/Kidney etc. play in the NHL too soon because they have to be called up. I also think we need all the cap space we can after this year. So no, no buyout.

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The only head scratcher so far from Hughes.................giving Allen an extension, let alone more money to go with it................hopefully they can trade him and go wit the two kids in nets.

Primeau seems like a bust at this point and he hasn't beat Allen out of a job. Primeau will be dealt and an AHL vet goalie will be hired to backup Dobes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad