Proposal: Which forward under 25 years old would your team trade for the Habs' 1st pick (Winipeg's) who will be between 24-27 + one of these defenders (Harris,

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
These aren't sexy pieces so the Habs shouldn't be expecting a sexy return.

Some people perceive these trades in the prism of "what is the maximum we can obtain for our players", which is kind of absurd.

If the Habs always sold their players at their best possible value, they could turn Kovacevic into McDavid by small steps, a bit like that guy who turned a paperclip into a house using only eBay
You're right that if people are looking to sell pieces at the best possible price, they'll feel the assets on the table aren't enough. I think it has to be seen as "which teams has players they are looking to move on from who fit the mold", and see from there. Of course, fans on this site are future-oriented, so they'd usually rather see their teams trade away stodgy vets than young players with some potential, but sometimes the kids just don't have a clear role and management might as well get a pick and develop another kid who won't need NHL icetime for 3 years.

Kakko, Tomasino, Frost, Farabee, Veleno, Holtz, Krebs, all could make sense, it all depends on how their management teams see them at this point.

Guenther is outside our price range. The Habs are looking for "underrated assets" - guys with potential that their current team can't/won't develop for some reason. Glass and Sharangovich just don't make sense.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You're right that if people are looking to sell pieces at the best possible price, they'll feel the assets on the table aren't enough. I think it has to be seen as "which teams has players they are looking to move on from who fit the mold", and see from there. Of course, fans on this site are future-oriented, so they'd usually rather see their teams trade away stodgy vets than young players with some potential, but sometimes the kids just don't have a clear role and management might as well get a pick and develop another kid who won't need NHL icetime for 3 years.

Kakko, Tomasino, Frost, Farabee, Veleno, Holtz, Krebs, all could make sense, it all depends on how their management teams see them at this point.

Guenther is outside our price range. The Habs are looking for "underrated assets" - guys with potential that their current team can't/won't develop for some reason. Glass and Sharangovich just don't make sense.
-Rangers haven't given up on Kakko
-Preds haven't given up on Tomasino
-Frost shouldn't be listed as he's producing well enough that the flyers wouldn't want to get rid of him
- Farabee is the same with Frost
- Veleno? Why? Wings win any trade if they manage to get assets for him
-Holtz I agree with
- Kreb's will probably stay in Buffalo at least until the deadline, They will want to see if Ruff can make something out of him.

So yeah, The probable list is really just Kaliyev, Podkolzin, and Holtz.

Nick Robertson for the pick only.
Habs need more 5'9 players?

Reactions: bernmeister

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
How attractive is a 25ish draft pick?
10 teams already have extra 1st and or 2nd (4 have both).
I dont recall any draft day (or around) trade. Must have been some..

Side question: What will Habs do with the four extra Js (Justin,Jayden, Jordan and Jonathan) ??

Left side: Matheson, Guhle, Hutson
Right side: Savard (then Reinbacher after the deadline), Mailloux, Arber.

Placed both questions together as site has plenty of Wpg + J dman.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

Side question: What will Habs do with the four extra Js (Justin,Jayden, Jordan and Jonathan) ??

Arber is on the left side. For the 4J, they will try to trade at least 1.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I think the best offers they will get this time in a "Workshop for mistreated toys" deal is probably Kaliyev and Podkolzin. If those aren't to your liking then it's better to keep the pick.
Podkolzin is practically worthless. Montreal is better off keeping the pick and taking Hutson (or whoever their scouts deem the bpa)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
With where LA is at it's hard to know what they would prefer, The player or the Winnipeg pick.
Habs wouldnt trade that pick for Kaliyev in a 1v1 deal.

That WIN pick has sinilar value to the package we sent for Newhook last year (27 = 31+37). Newhook held nkre vakue at the time of the deal than Kaliyev has

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Despite wall to wall GMs in here, there is no clear cut yes or no on what the Habs offer vs what real GMs will do.

There will be endless discussions long before the draft. What we do know is that Hughes had already done it a few times and probably trying to set up more.

We don't need 10 trades, just one or two.

Reactions: Nevins

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Easy

Habs carry 8dman
Guhle
Matheson
Xhekaj
Savard
Barron
Kovacevic
Harris
Struble or Mailloux

And in the AHL
Engstrom
Hutson
Reinbacher
Trudeau
Struble/Mailloux

And wait until a team is short on D to trade one from a position of strenght , and therefore maximize value

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Kakko, Tomasino, Holtz, Krebs, are the kind of guy I expect.
All guys fans won't suggest since they think their teams should move "deadwood" veterans to give the kids a chance.

Depth D for depth F, it could make sense.
Krebs doesn’thave that value. Harris for Krebs would be enough

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Arber is on the left side. For the 4J, they will try to trade at least 1.
So one ld goes on other side but even after trading 1, what happens to the other 3?

Imagine if they draft a dman at 5…

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I just think that the ++ in addition to the Jets later 1st round pick would have to be a real doozy. Farabee isn't some kind of stalled out filler looking for a more defined role like Newhook was.

He's a barely 24 year old 50Pt+ Top-6 Winger that's still trending upward...and locked up to a bunch of years of a really solid value contract. Plus, an exceptionally strong 5v5 producer. He was ~Top-80ish in the entire league for 5v5 Points last year, and at the doorstep of Top-70 among Forwards. That's bona fide first line caliber even strength performance. Guys around that same ballpark or behind him are like...Buchnevich, Fiala, Giroux, Connor, Kreider, et al.

So whatever that ++ is, it would need to hurt. Might even be worth more than the Jets 1st round pick tbh.

Of course, who knows if Dany Briere really knows/appreciates what he has there. Always a chance he does something stupid and trades a gem like Farabee for less than he's worth. But i certainly wouldn't count on it. He seems to mostly have his head screwed on straight as a GM. And Farabee very much still fits with the age group of their rebuild.

Morgan Frost is closer to that sort of Newhook/Dach type category imo. Though even then, he had a little bit of a "breakthrough" season. Just a matter of whether Briere thinks that's an opportunity to "sell high" on him or not.
Agree with you.

I would trade Struble for Kaliyev.

I would trade Struble for Kaliyev.
Agree. Harris yes but not Struble.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Habs wouldnt trade that pick for Kaliyev in a 1v1 deal.

That WIN pick has sinilar value to the package we sent for Newhook last year (27 = 31+37). Newhook held nkre vakue at the time of the deal than Kaliyev has
Its called supply and demand, Players like Dach and Newhook who are in situations like them aren't always going to be there at every draft. Plus there is competition with other GM's. The Hab's GM didn't invent the idea of trading picks for reclamation projects. It's just that he's been successful in the last two year.
Despite wall to wall GMs in here, there is no clear cut yes or no on what the Habs offer vs what real GMs will do.

There will be endless discussions long before the draft. What we do know is that Hughes had already done it a few times and probably trying to set up more.

We don't need 10 trades, just one or two.
Wow, someone saying that trades don't really happen on a trade forum, You sir blew my mind.

Why are you posting here if you don't care about what non GM's think? You are better off sticking the the Hab's forum and enabling each others fantasies.

( No this doesn't only happen on the Hab's forum it happens everywhere else. But if you don't enjoy differing opinions and debate then it's better to stick to your teams trade thread)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Its called supply and demand, Players like Dach and Newhook who are in situations like them aren't always going to be there at every draft. Plus there is competition with other GM's. The Hab's GM didn't invent the idea of trading picks for reclamation projects. It's just that he's been successful in the last two year.

Wow, someone saying that trades don't really happen on a trade forum, You sir blew my mind.

Why are you posting here if you don't care about what non GM's think? You are better off sticking the the Hab's forum and enabling each others fantasies.

( No this doesn't only happen on the Hab's forum it happens everywhere else. But if you don't enjoy differing opinions and debate then it's better to stick to your teams trade thread)
You have a point about a trade? Nope? Bye....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nevins and Xirik

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
So one ld goes on other side but even after trading 1, what happens to the other 3?

Imagine if they draft a dman at 5…
They will ride with 8 dman. Hutson and Mailloux will start in the A except if they really destroy it in pre season. And even if they draft a dman, he will not be ready this year. They will have time to make space for them.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
They will ride with 8 dman. Hutson and Mailloux will start in the A except if they really destroy it in pre season. And even if they draft a dman, he will not be ready this year. They will have time to make space for them.
If Hutson and Mailloux play at Laval then its different.
I believe both will start in Mtl.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Are we just going to pretend last season didn't happen? It's certainly a steep price, but Sharangovich is; a goal scorer, can play the wing or centre, a goodish possession player, and a high level penalty killer.

The combined chance that a late first or Harris turning into a player impactful as Sharangovich is probably less than 50%. The Flames have no urgency to move him as he could still fit into whatever retool/rebuild they're conducting.

Edit: My brain was confusing Sam and Jordan Harris, so the value is closer than I first estimated. Even then, I don't rate Jordan Harris particularly well.
Maybe Shara to switch picks? If Habs high on Sennecke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad