Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Pionk definitely has more value than Schmidt as wel I thinkl. I think if the jets retained too there would be some takers. Dude is only 28 and has 5 consecutive 30 pt + seasons
Just being a right hand shot and having a pulse gives Dmen value in the NHL

If we can't re-sign Demelo and we deal Pionk, we won't have a single right handed dman on the roster. For that reason alone he has value to us, despite his struggles

Reactions: Channelcat

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Just being a right hand shot and having a pulse gives Dmen value in the NHL

If we can't re-sign Demelo and we deal Pionk, we won't have a single right handed dman on the roster. For that reason alone he has value to us, despite his struggles
So it'll come down to how hard would it be to find a right shot dman that at least equals Pionks skill - for less than $6M / yr.
There's value and then there's bang for the buck

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I wonder what that tells you about our possession with Scheifele (and Connor) on the ice. Nik's linemates seem to rank quite low on the list, whereas Connor is almost tied with Scheifele - it's almost like Nik does a larger proportion of puck moving on his line than anyone else on the team on theirs. Hence, more giveaways.

And just to avoid getting caught up in giveaways too much, Nik is among the 21 skaters with 1000+ minutes at 5v5 in the last three years to have a GF% of 60 or higher. 60+ is total domination on the ice, and he's there with an assortment of Bruins, Stars, Panthers, a couple of key Avs, and some extras. So, maybe we forget the idea of dumping Ehlers due to giveaways and focus on trading the guys who play 20 a night and get nothing done.

Funnily enough - that list of 21 skaters features another Jet. Who has been dominant enough to be featured, when the team has sucked for two of the three years? Connor f*** no, he ranks somewhere in the 350s and is under 50% - net negative. Scheifele? A bit better, but nowhere near either. Wheeler isn't it, although he's over 50% and therefore isn't getting outscored like Connor. Samberg and Morrissey look fantastic at mid-50s, but aren't quite there either. As far as veterans go, Niederreiter is at 58.9%, which isn't quite it despite being an absolutely stunning figure of what has actually happened on the ice (ranks 28th in the NHL).

It's Cole Perfetti.

This organisation doesn't deserve either Ehlers or Perfetti. But if it wants to be good, it'd better find a way to have those guys on the ice much more than before.
This organisation was smart enough to draft both players so yes they do deserve them. Maybe the new coach plays both alot more next season then people will be very happy even if we don't make the playoffs. Me i don't care who the coach plays or doesn't as long as the TEAM is successful.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Like trading with rangers has worked out well for us in the past.
It hasn't? It avoided us overpaying for Trouba, we still have Heinola which hasn't even begun impacting our lineup yet and we have tons of service left on him. We did get some very good play from pionk and we traded Copp for Morgan Barron and 2 seconds. I think we've done just fine.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It hasn't? It avoided us overpaying for Trouba, we still have Heinola which hasn't even begun impacting our lineup yet and we have tons of service left on him. We did get some very good play from pionk and we traded Copp for Morgan Barron and 2 seconds. I think we've done just fine.
Agreed

I have no issues with the Trouba trade

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Both trades were highway robbery. Pionk alone has comparable or better numbers than Trouba.

I'm sorry but giving up a 1st pair right handed physical D man that ends up being captain material for Pionk and Tiny Heiny is the definition of getting hosed in a trade.
Facts not a strong suit here

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This organisation was smart enough to draft both players so yes they do deserve them. Maybe the new coach plays both alot more next season then people will be very happy even if we don't make the playoffs. Me i don't care who the coach plays or doesn't as long as the TEAM is successful.
The team hasn't won a thing in five years. I'm not happy about it, and I'm even less happy about the fact that we don't use our best players nearly enough. Instead, we bench them for no apparent reason.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The team hasn't won a thing in five years. I'm not happy about it, and I'm even less happy about the fact that we don't use our best players nearly enough. Instead, we bench them for no apparent reason.
Helly? Morrissey? Sheif? I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

Seriously though, I don't know how you could look at this roster compared to the remaining teams and think it's deserving of a final 4, or even final 8 spot. We probably ended up right where we should have.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Helly? Morrissey? Sheif? I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

Seriously though, I don't know how you could look at this roster compared to the remaining teams and think it's deserving of a final 4, or even final 8 spot. We probably ended up right where we should have.
Purely based on talent, this team should be a perennial WCF contender. Problem is, we misuse the f*** out of that talent and never look for combinations that get us far. Ehlers, not on the first line where he belongs. Nino, third line with Lowry. Perfetti, benched. Samberg, playing the wrong side to make way for an AHLer. Meanwhile, 81-55 lose their top matchups and face zero repercussions for it.

If we can't do anything about those decisions, someone needs to be fired. But nobody ever is.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Purely based on talent, this team should be a perennial WCF contender. Problem is, we misuse the f*** out of that talent and never look for combinations that get us far. Ehlers, not on the first line where he belongs. Nino, third line with Lowry. Perfetti, benched. Samberg, playing the wrong side to make way for an AHLer. Meanwhile, 81-55 lose their top matchups and face zero repercussions for it.

If we can't do anything about those decisions, someone needs to be fired. But nobody ever is.
How did your interview with Chevy for the HC spot go?

There are a few people that would walk in as coach and lose the locker room in 30 seconds - or never have it behind them in the first place. I think most of these posters have never been in a hockey locker room (or at least at a high level) because they don't seem to understand the unique dynamics, culture and hierarchy that exits - for better or worse

You want "repercussions" for schief? OK, bench him and see what happens. You'll have a pouty 1C who is locked into his new big contract for 7 years. His shitty attitude will rub off on his guys in the room. Guys who give a f*** and want to win will resent him and his boys and you'll have a divide.

As a coach you work with what you have - both talent and personality-wise. The days of the hard-nosed, in your face coaches are long gone

Looking at numbers is one factor that goes into line up decisions. But there are others, including the human element. If Scief and Connor want to play together, they'll play together.

If you can come to accept that and cheer for the team anyway, you'll be a lot less frustrated and the whole experience will be more enjoyable.

Nov 24, 2006
I'm sorry but giving up a 1st pair right handed physical D man that ends up being captain material for Pionk and Tiny Heiny is the definition of getting hosed in a trade.
Trouba ($8M) for Pionk ($3M), Heinola pick and $5M cap space is a good trade for the Jets no matter how you look at it IMO. Trouba is better than Pionk and quite likely Heinola, but considering Trouba was itching to leave, this was a great trade.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trouba ($8M) for Pionk ($3M), Heinola pick and $5M cap space is a good trade for the Jets no matter how you look at it IMO. Trouba is better than Pionk and quite likely Heinola, but considering Trouba was itching to leave, this was a great trade.
Cap space is fine if u make it worth it and improve the team. That 3M cap hit was finite. Pionk cost close to 6M now and has for the last several years. the Jets also spent years still trying to find a suitable top pair with the likes of beaulieu, poolman, schmidt and finally got somewhere with demelo (who some argue needs to be improved upon as well). whereas i think Morrissey-Trouba & the certainty you had in that pairing was a great duo for us.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
Cap space is fine if u make it worth it and improve the team. That 3M cap hit was finite. Pionk cost close to 6M now and has for the last several years. the Jets also spent years still trying to find a suitable top pair with the likes of beaulieu, poolman, schmidt and finally got somewhere with demelo (who some argue needs to be improved upon as well). whereas i think Morrissey-Trouba & the certainty you had in that pairing was a great duo for us.
My comment is related to the trade at the time.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
He could have been moved sooner for more is my point you would have had more suitors. He had long told us to get him out we waited until he basically had all control. And we had a deep defence.

Cap space isn't as important here in some ways we can't attract free agents anyhow. I think sometimes posters put too much stock in a players cost.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
How did your interview with Chevy for the HC spot go?

There are a few people that would walk in as coach and lose the locker room in 30 seconds - or never have it behind them in the first place. I think most of these posters have never been in a hockey locker room (or at least at a high level) because they don't seem to understand the unique dynamics, culture and hierarchy that exits - for better or worse

You want "repercussions" for schief? OK, bench him and see what happens. You'll have a pouty 1C who is locked into his new big contract for 7 years. His shitty attitude will rub off on his guys in the room. Guys who give a f*** and want to win will resent him and his boys and you'll have a divide.

As a coach you work with what you have - both talent and personality-wise. The days of the hard-nosed, in your face coaches are long gone

Looking at numbers is one factor that goes into line up decisions. But there are others, including the human element. If Scief and Connor want to play together, they'll play together.

If you can come to accept that and cheer for the team anyway, you'll be a lot less frustrated and the whole experience will be more enjoyable.
There is some truth in here I'm sure. Not sure which ones or how concrete.

Handling egos is a big part of the job as NHL coach.

I really question if these guys would be that strongly opposed to being split up though. I mean, all these guys want to win.

If it is best for the team and both players overall production... as a coach, make your decision and let them know why.

These aren't fancy made up stats, it's not just one stat. Fans want the team to have success and will pay more money when we do. Giving ourselves the best chance is a good place to start. I truly don't think we did that against Colorado.

New year brings new optimism.

He could have been moved sooner for more is my point you would have had more suitors. He had long told us to get him out we waited until he basically had all control. And we had a deep defence.

Cap space isn't as important here in some ways we can't attract free agents anyhow. I think sometimes posters put too much stock in a players cost.
In this case our two best shots at the cup were that last two years we had him.

Moving a 6'3 two way top pair defenseman on a cheap deal was not the move when we were all in

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
1st and a 2nd, not two 2nds.

Reactions: Aries56

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't think this roster is any degree above their divisional rivals in Dallas and Colorado that would suggest they should be a perennial WCF contender. I think they have the talent to get there but I'm also aware enough of other teams in the league that getting there isn't going to be something that happens with any frequency.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't think this roster is any degree above their divisional rivals in Dallas and Colorado that would suggest they should be a perennial WCF contender. I think they have the talent to get there but I'm also aware enough of other teams in the league that getting there isn't going to be something that happens with any frequency.
Realistically we have one top pairing dman (JoMo), a decent second pair (Snerg Demelo) and Dillon and Pionk *might* make up a 3rd pairing. Schmidt belongs down there too

Jets are a good, deep team but I think they overachieved a bit in the regular season and underachieved in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad