Which former Sabre FA to be would you like the Sabres to sign most?

A bunch of guys that will be between 32 and 35 at the youngest when the Sabres are a cup contender? Pass.

That the two guys with the longest playoff resumes got the fewest votes is astounding to me. Steve Ott? Hadn't made the playoffs since 2007-2008. Not all (or even mostly) his fault, but still that doesn't exactly scream "winner." Nor does his limited playoff production being half his regular season averages. No, no, no, no, no.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
How are his intangibles mythical?
I don't see how a player like Ott can be a leader. You can't have most of the team play like he does. And I totally disagree that he's hardworking and all that, he's lazy on defense a lot.

I think Ott has value and I'd welcome him back here for the right price, but the love he gets has gone too far.

I don't see how a player like Ott can be a leader. You can't have most of the team play like he does. And I totally disagree that he's hardworking and all that, he's lazy on defense a lot.

I think Ott has value and I'd welcome him back here for the right price, but the love he gets has gone too far.

Regular season pts per game - .38
Playoffs points per game - .18

He has Buffalo written all over him...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

This implies that the nature of being a leader is getting other players to play like you, which I don't really believe to be the case. Sidney Crosby can't get most of the team to play like him, either. That's not exactly what you meant, but the point stands: everyone has different roles and different capabilities, so no player could/should be able to get everyone to play like he does.

I don't think he's really lazy on defense but he does have definite awareness and discipline issues in the defensive zone.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I don't see any of those players showing interest in signing with Buffalo, even if the Sabres made a generous offer to them.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't see any of those players showing interest in signing with Buffalo, even if the Sabres made a generous offer to them.

Same. Of all those guys, I'd probably want Moulson back, because I like his attitude. I wouldn't want him back at the contract he'll receive, though, so it's all moot. It's time to turn the page.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON

I can't remember if it was a WGR interview or if he was on Marek vs Wyshynski, but Elliotte Friedman said something like "Moulson enjoyed his time in Buffalo, and many believe he'd be willing to sign there in free agency." I'll edit my post and see if I can find it.

edit: Here's the quote, from the post-deadline show on WGR. (Link)

"... there are a lot of people around the league who would not be surprised if Matt Moulson ended up back in Buffalo. I don't think it's a guarantee, you never know what's going to happen when a player leaves. Do you lose that attachment for each other? But a lot of people would not be surprised, come free agency, if he signs in Buffalo."

Moulson's a guy I would want to bring back. Having good, veteran players to compliment the younger guys is a big part of development. He was able to gel with almost anyone he was put with, seemed to be a well-respected guy amongst the team, and always had the right attitude about being part of a rebuild. If he would take a reasonable deal to come back, I'd gladly have him back as a top six winger while the team is crap.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Where is Jordan Leopold?? Since he's not available I have to stick with my homerism and say add Connolly. Since he's busy working at an arcade on Chippewa I'll be forced to pick Ott. No one else is valuable to a rebuilding team. Ott will get a nice payday for a contender this summer though. He looked good against Chicago. We wont bring back any of these guys. More important question in my mind is how badly did Miller hurt his FA value?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would welcome Stea Vot back with open arms.

If by some chance we could sign Moulson to a decent deal, I'd be fine with that.

Both are highly unlikely, with Moulson basically impossible to deem realistic.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Moulson. Did well here. Did well with Tavares. Bring him in to play a similar role with our new C from the draft assuming we don't get into a ridiculous contract.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Ott, really? A veteran who doesn't score, can't skate that well and his older. Guess he doesn't want to win and it seems like too many have drank the Nolan potion.

I'd like to see Reinhart playing with Matt Moulson, play maker and a scorer together.

It's not gonna happen, but ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad