Which dman should we target as an FA?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This is the list of dmen that I find are notable and not old meaning they can be signed for multi-years. Which would you guys prefer? Ideally, I'd like to see Gilbert or Ballard for mobility and Ference because he's the best actual dman available.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I voted for just one; Scuderi.

Scuderi - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Sarich/Hunwick

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Scuderi, Ference, and Hainsey are the three I'd prefer, depending on the price.

Basically, a top 4 defenseman who can come in here, move Wilson to the third pairing, where he belongs, and allow guys like Elliott and Siemens a bit more time to develop.

Hainsey, being the youngest, might be my top choice. He's taken on the bulk of the top defensive assignments for Winnipeg these last two years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I voted other. Since it says please specify... Everybody needs to calm down. There's no number 1 defenceman available in free agency. We have a number 2(EJ). In a year or two we will have a boat load of second pairing D that can fill out the 2nd and 3rd pairings. (Wilson, Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, Bigras, Hejda)

We aren't winning a cup this year. We're fine the way we are

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Plan A - Trade for Coburn
Plan B - Pony up the assets for Yandle
Plan C - Sign Scuderi
Plan D - Settle on Ferrence if Scuderi wants too much money/term

They've already passed on two other options in drafting Jones and trading a reasonable package for Sekera.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Other...I'd rather the AVs go into the season with:

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
whoever impresses the most in camp on the bottom pairing

than get locked into term and salary on what I see available on free agency. All of these guys are going to get overpaid (which is to be expected in free agency.) I just don't see a player out there I'd be happy with overpaying for. I'd rather see what shakes out at camp and then have Joe and Patty look to trades at this point. Much safer than offering term and money for aging talent when they have so many contacts to negotiate next summer.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Most of these guys are going to get overpaid. I think Sakic and Roy made it clear they are not going to overpay for mediocre talent.

I could see Lydman being brought in on a super cheap like $1.5 million, one-year deal. Ducks fans say he was pretty solid last year, he's a lefty and he's a lot more reliable than Zanon and Hunwick. At this stage of his career he's a third pairing guy but again, I don't see us handing out $4-5 million over multiple years to Hainsey, Scuderi, Ference or the more "sought after" guys of an extremely weak bunch.

Rozsival is another cheap veteran option, played great for the Blackhawks in the playoffs. He's a righty but I think he can play the left side as well.

Wilson-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie
Lydman-Elliott
Sarich

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Ballard simply because he's most likely to sign a two year deal for a modest salary.

I don't see any on that list that I would commit to long term.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I voted for Scuderi and Ference but I want only one of them and only if it is not an overpayment for money and terms.

I don't mind if they trade Stastny as a plan B if the return is worth it. Colburn would be ideal but we would need a 3rd team to be involved because Philly is set at Cs unless we move McGinn or Downie.

Dutchy09*

Scuderi, Ference, Hainsey, Ballard, Gilbert, or maybe even Kuba. Coburn hopefully though, any one of those guys will instantly make the D better so I really hope they can land SOMEONE.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Ballard simply because he's most likely to sign a two year deal for a modest salary.

I don't see any on that list that I would commit to long term.

That's what scares me. Scuderi is going to be 35 later this year. He'll probably want a deal around $4 million over 3 years. A) Do you really want to have a 37 year-old Rob Scuderi making $4 million in a couple seasons and B) Do you really think he'll be worth it after next season when we have a million contracts to redo and $4 million less to accomplish it because of an aging 4th defenseman?

Hainsey, although younger at 32, already makes $4.5 million. Teams may be tight up against the cap but given the weakness of the group of defenseman I can't see him accepting any less and he'll want 3-4 years. Ference is also going to cash in.

I don't want the error-prone likes of Ian White or Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert anywhere near this defense no matter the price.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Plan C - Sign Scuderi

They've already passed on two other options in drafting Jones and trading a reasonable package for Sekera.

Pretty much this, except I would switch Ference with Ballard. I think he could be had for 2.5/season and I like his upside better than Ference

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Plan C - Sign Scuderi

No interest in trading for Edler?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
NO ONE... we are either going to overpay for an aging veteran or sign someone that is not going to make a whole lot of difference.

Let's start the season with what we have and let Elliott an Siemens fill in for injuries during the season.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
People want Ballard? really?

On a top team like Vancouver Ballard apparently was bad enough so all the Nuck fans want him out.

Stay away from Ballard. Actually stay away from all of this year's UFA d-men because you are going to over pay them and they aren't much of difference makers.

I think the improvement on D will have to come through a trade and development of some of the young players.

Lemieux22

Jul 30, 2005
I say Gilbert. He's going to be waived and only has 1 year left on his deal, so even though he's going to make $4m this year, we won't be on the hook for anything in the future if we claim him. I think if he makes it to FA he might be able to use the market to his advantage and get something like a 3 year deal at 2.5-3 million, which I wouldn't want to do.

He's a good skater and has been a top 4 guy most of his career. Also, he was our draft pick and we never should have traded him in the first place (he was who we used to get Tommy freakin Salo).

Wilson - Johnson
Gilbert/Hejda - Barrie
Gilbert/Hejda - Elliott/Sarich/Hunwick

That's passable. Not good, but certainly better than having guys like Hunwick, O'Bryne, etc in top 4 roles.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
"Other"

Andrej Meszaros 6'2" 223 LD

He's not a UFA (ufa 2014) but could be had for futures. He has put up decent points and plays a physical game. A knock on him would be his health the past few seasons. Essentially it would be a 1 season audition so not much risk is involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad