Which Defence Corps Would You Trade Toronto’s For?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
The “biggest hole the Leafs have is defence” argument is well established by now, though there seems to be a reverse tide of sorts these days to some extent.

Made me wonder which teams clearly have an advantage not only this year, but moving forward as well?

Which teams would you straight up swap all defenceman with? There are a couple that jump immediately to my mind (Nashville, SJ), just curious what your guys’ list would look like?

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I dont follow Carolina but dont they have solid dman we can trade for? Based on rumblings if Nylander wasn't able to resign and he was casted off in a trade?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
truth is, you lineup the dmen from best to worst:

1.Rielly
2.Gardiner
3.Dermott
4/5/6.Zaitsev/Hainsey/Ozzy

And it matches up better than most. Rielly is playing like a Norris contender, Jake like a borderline #1, Dermott like a very good 2nd pair dman, and the rest like typical 4/5/6 dmen.

And then you add in Sandin/Lillegren to the mix and realize that even fewer team's have 2 D prospects that good, and you realize that things are pretty dang good.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
interesting.

I would say our top 3s are comparable (Trouba/Buff/Morrissey) , while our bottom 3 is better (Myers/Kulikov/Chiarot).

I'll take Myers/Kulikov/Chiarot over Hainsey, Z and Oz. The Jets D is more balanced and comes with the physicality and size needed in the playoffs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'll take Myers/Kulikov/Chiarot over Hainsey, Z and Oz. The Jets D is more balanced and comes with the physicality and size needed in the playoffs.

Myers is bad, kulikov is horrific.

Chiarot might be ok but probably not.

Reactions: Duffman955

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I think people still like Myers because of the Calder a decade ago, but damn he stinks.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's annoying because Maurice has done in WPG what many of us wish Babs would do here - play his quality 22/23yr old dman (morrissey/dermott) on the top pair.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I’d keep what we have. Don’t see many better especially when you factor in prospects and the system that we play.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No way man,

Zaitsev = Myers
Hainsey > Kulikov
Oz >= Chairot
Chiarot is better then the other 5.
Myers is like our Gards he makes so many stupid game plays.
Kulikov well he fills the last spot

but OA Toronto has better offensive defense and Winnipeg has better defensive defense. I like Winnipeg's overall because they can harden in playoffs which is needed when time and space disappear in the playoffs when the refs throw away the whistle. The stronger guy wins in the playoffs when everyone fights for position on the ice. Skill is relegated down.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Chiarot is better then the other 5.
Myers is like our Gards he makes so many stupid game plays.
Kulikov well he fills the last spot

but OA Toronto has better offensive defense and Winnipeg has better defensive defense. I like Winnipeg's overall because they can harden in playoffs which is needed when time and space disappear in the playoffs when the refs throw away the whistle. The stronger guy wins in the playoffs when everyone fights for position on the ice. Skill is relegated down.
Myers is not even remotely close to as good as Gardiner

Reactions: The Examiner

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Not a current squad of course, but the 75/76 habs D group was pretty good.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The “biggest hole the Leafs have is defence” argument is well established by now, though there seems to be a reverse tide of sorts these days to some extent.

Made me wonder which teams clearly have an advantage not only this year, but moving forward as well?

Which teams would you straight up swap all defenceman with? There are a couple that jump immediately to my mind (Nashville, SJ), just curious what your guys’ list would look like?

TB, Winnipeg would both be at the top of my list ..

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It's annoying because Maurice has done in WPG what many of us wish Babs would do here - play his quality 22/23yr old dman (morrissey/dermott) on the top pair.

Dermott gets schooled often defensively on the 3rd pairing, Morrissey is a legit top pairing dman already, big difference.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Nash, TB, Boston, Winnipeg, Calgary, Carolina, San Jose, Columbus, Washington, Anaheim, Minnesota. (Maybe Buffalo)

Now if you asked forwards the list would be very small.

Reactions: Duffman955

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dermott gets schooled often defensively on the 3rd pairing, Morrissey is a legit top pairing dman already, big difference.

Agreed, there's a big difference in how their coaches use them. One dominates in 3rd pair usage, the other holds his own in top pair usage.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think people still like Myers because of the Calder a decade ago, but damn he stinks.

You could be right. I don't watch too many Jets games but when I have, Myers has looked fine. Could also be that we watch too many Leaf games and put our guys under the microscope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad