Which Defence Corps Would You Trade Toronto’s For?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agreed, there's a big difference in how their coaches use them. One dominates in 3rd pair usage, the other holds his own in top pair usage.

Agreed Babcock uses LHD Rielly on his top pairing and LHD Gardiner on the 2nd and LHD Dermott on the 3rd.

Hard to question that logic as it coaches itself !!!

Winnipeg's strength is on RHD where Buff, Trouba and Myers all play, that makes LHD Morrissey play up the depth chart as a top pairing LHD and partner with Trouba as a shutdown pair.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Agreed Babcock uses LHD Rielly on his top pairing and LHD Gardiner on the 2nd and LHD Dermott on the 3rd.

Hard to question that logic as it coaches itself !!!

Winnipeg's strength is on RHD where Buff, Trouba and Myers all play, that makes LHD Morrissey play up the depth chart as a top pairing LHD and partner with Trouba as a shutdown pair.

no doubt the handedness makes it easier for them to play that way, but you can't be a slave to that.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Nashville AINEC

Just the top 4 alone are all proven.

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm- Subban

Talk about possession and puck movement

PP1

Tavares
Matthews - Kadri - Marner
Subban

PP2

Kapenen - Nylander - Mango/Marleau
Josi - Ellis

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Rielly-Manson
Gardiner-Pesce
Dermott-Faulk

Done..... just hand us the Cup.

..... just don’t ask me how we acquire them and how it fits under the cap. I already did the hard work and am exhausted. Let Dubas do something for a change..... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like the Leafs boards has spent too much time jonesing over spare parts on the the Anaheim defense corps they actually begun to overrate it.

Reactions: cookie

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
if Carolina and Anaheim have such great Dcorps, why do they suck?

I mean, the ducks have the best goalie in the league.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
umm. they don't score goals?

weird that we can be elite with great forwards and a crappy D, while they suck with a great D and crappy forwards.

would seem that having a good D isn't worth much.

Oh and the other weird thing is we give up fewer goals than either of them, too. Way fewer shots than the ducks do, too.

And hey, some crazy people even think dmen are important to a team's offense, too.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
weird that we can be elite with great forwards and a crappy D, while they suck with a great D and crappy forwards.

would seem that having a good D isn't worth much.

Oh and the other weird thing is we give up fewer goals than either of them, too. Way fewer shots than the ducks do, too.

And hey, some crazy people even think dmen are important to a team's offense, too.
I'm ok with our D, this season, IMO, our downfall will most likely be Freddy letting in untimely soft goals in the playoffs... I could be wrong

Mar 14, 2011
Nashville, Jackets, Caps, Tampa, SJ (this forward corps + EK & Burns+ healthy Andersen = guaranteed cup win, EK leaving after this season will suck however especially with Vlassic's apperant declining performance).

On the fence- Dallas (Klingberg, Heiskanen, Lindell is a damn good top 3, their depth stinks however; Polak, Honka and Carrick would all get pressbox duty in TO ) , Minny ( age), Calgary (age), Car

Close but no- PEG (not with Trouba wanting out of Canada + Myers and Kulikov are not very good), Ana.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
truth is, you lineup the dmen from best to worst:

1.Rielly
2.Gardiner
3.Dermott
4/5/6.Zaitsev/Hainsey/Ozzy

And it matches up better than most. Rielly is playing like a Norris contender, Jake like a borderline #1, Dermott like a very good 2nd pair dman, and the rest like typical 4/5/6 dmen.

And then you add in Sandin/Lillegren to the mix and realize that even fewer team's have 2 D prospects that good, and you realize that things are pretty dang good.

What?

Borderline 2/3 at most... and I like Jake

Reactions: Duffman955

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
if Carolina and Anaheim have such great Dcorps, why do they suck?
Agree.

After you watch a couple of their games, or a few of their games, you wonder why does anyone want to trade Nylander for anybody on those teams.

If in fantasy land, the Leafs switch out all 6 defensemen for another team entire defensive corps, only one team is possible for that. Boston.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Ignoring salary cap implications:

Anaheim - yes
Arizona - no
Boston - no. They play well, but I credit Cassidy's system for most of it
Buffalo - tough....I may just for Dahlin alone.
Calgary - no
Carolina - yes
Chicago - lol
Colorado - no
Columbus - absolutely. Jones and Werenski >>>>
Dallas - yes. Love me some Klingberg and Heiskanen
Detroit - lol
Edmonton - lol
Florida - no
LA - no, but they have some solid pieces
Minnesota - yes
Montreal - no
Nashville - we all know the answer
NJ - no
NYI - no
NYR - no
Ottawa - no
Philadelphia - no
San Jose - yes
STL - no
Tampa Bay - yes
Vancouver - no
Vegas - love how they play, but see Boston
Washington - no
Winnipeg - no

So about 8-10 teams, which sounds about right for where our D should be ranked. I do, however, have an issue with how we play as a 5 man unit and our ultra passive coverage in the defensive zone.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ignoring salary cap implications:

Anaheim - yes
Arizona - no
Boston - no. They play well, but I credit Cassidy's system for most of it
Buffalo - tough....I may just for Dahlin alone.
Calgary - no
Carolina - yes
Chicago - lol
Colorado - no
Columbus - absolutely. Jones and Werenski >>>>
Dallas - yes. Love me some Klingberg and Heiskanen
Detroit - lol
Edmonton - lol
Florida - no
LA - no, but they have some solid pieces
Minnesota - yes
Montreal - no
Nashville - we all know the answer
NJ - no
NYI - no
NYR - no
Ottawa - no
Philadelphia - no
San Jose - yes
STL - no
Tampa Bay - yes
Vancouver - no
Vegas - love how they play, but see Boston
Washington - no
Winnipeg - no

So about 8-10 teams, which sounds about right for where our D should be ranked. I do, however, have an issue with how we play as a 5 man unit and our ultra passive coverage in the defensive zone.

Like your take except for the Jets. I claim that our forwards playing with the Jets' D we might be able to win the SC. Will never know.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Only would do it forsure would be Nashville and Carolina.

The borderline ones (assuming Jake re-signs):

Anaheim - Lindholm and Manson are fantastic, but everything else is meh. Montour has been ok, and Fowler is normally an analytic nightmare and coasting on high draft position.

Columbus - Jones is the best, but I'd take Rielly, Jake and probably Dermott over ZW. The rest of their D is crap.

Dallas - Rielly is so clearly the best defenseman. Jake might be the 2nd of the group. Kling, Heiskanen, and Lindell are nice pieces and It's close if Jake leaves in the offseason.

Minnesota has better than us today, but Suter is rapidly declining (and about to on one of the worst contracts in hockey), Spurgeon is almost 30, Brodin and Dumba are fantastic. The Suter contract is basically the reason I don't do it at all.

San Jose - I'm so torn with them. Today they're arguably the 2nd best D in the league.. but Karlsson is a UFA, Burns is almost 35, and Vlasic has heavily declined playing with anyone other than Karlsson. Their age and contract status just wouldn't fit with our team, but it'd be a mess if we lost the cup this year.

Tampa - Their contracts don't fit with our forwards. Really other than Hedman > Rielly they're not much of an upgrade.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We have to factor in the cap right? Because that will eliminate some teams who D are clearly better but we couldn’t afford both their D and our F

Also are we talking just roster D? Or dos prospect count as well since they’re our defencemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->